Old 1930 article. The Finest All-'Round Deer Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Old 1930 article. The Finest All-'Round Deer Gun

Post by WCF3030 »

The Finest All-'Round Deer Gun

Ever notice how firmly you can stand on a couple of inches of light snow over a heavy crust, with snowshoes strapped to your shoe-pacs?

A good hundred yards away, across the blow-downs and white coated stumps left by the loggers, as big buck threw up his antlered head and started away at a lumbering gallop. Twelve inches of snow and the crust bothered him; and it was another hundred yards to the shelter of the cedars which he sought.

The silver bead of the little 6.5 Mannlicher found his shoulder, and I eased off the trigger. "Wham!" said the smokeless; and the buck, caught with the 160-grain bullet midway of his stride, plunged forward and slid, nose first, into a pile of brush.

A moment later I stooped over him and grasped one of the branching antlers to turn him over. The fast, heavy bullet had broken both front shoulders, the hole emergence being almost the size of a silver dollar.

In the past fifteen years it has been my good fortune to try out most of the common types of American-made hunting rifles in a lot of calibers; and there is no more certain method of starting an argument than to state that such-and-such a rifle is 'the best' for any given purpose.

The little 6.5mm Mannlicher is my own pet tool at present, and this in spite of the fact that for many years as a guide and hunter, I used and swore by a .38-40 carbine; killed lots of game with it, and took plenty of abuse from the wise boys who just knew that it wasn't a suitable gun for use on any kind of medium or large game.

In those days my hunting was confined to dense cover, where it was unusual to get shots at more than 60 to 80 yards, usually snap-shooting through brush, and for that sort of work the little old .38-40 was, and still is, mighty good medicine.

Three years ago I went into the Allagash region of northern Maine, where there is a lot of hardwood, and the country is full of streams and lakes which offer plenty of shots at long range. Knowing that the .38-40 was outclassed in this type of hunting, the little 6.5mm came into my possession and immediately I fell in love with it.

Equipped with a full-length stock with a nice cheek-piece, a very smooth-working bolt which is rigid even when fully extended, an 18-inch barrel of fine accuracy, set-triggers, a silver bead mounted on a nice ramp, and a swinging Lyman with two apertures, this little tool handles splendidly, is light to carry in the woods, and slams its loads out to 300 yards with very little drop.

It did not take me long to discover that those long, lean, hungry- looking 160-grain pills had plenty of wallop. I shot three large bucks and a couple of black bear with them, and in no case did a bullet stay in any of these animals. The rambled right on through meat and bone, and there was never any necessity for chasing anything which was properly hit.

The bullets also showed up splendidly when shooting through very thick cover, not flying to bits and going off at a tangent as do the lighter slugs from the .250-3000, .22 Hi-Power, and others of the same type. I experimented with the 140-grain open-point Western load, a much faster bullet, and it was deadly enough; but the recoil oddly, seemed heavier
than that of the longer, heavier bullet, and for other reasons I did not like it as well as the regular 160-grain load.

Beautifully balanced for offhand shooting, with a glass-hard action which would slide backward and forward by itself, the Mannlicher won its way into my affections almost at once. By pressing a small stud on the right side of the receiver, the rotary magazine spills all the loaded shells right out into your hand; and this is a good feature, which might well be
copied by some of our American makers of fine rifles. That rotary magazine, by the way, is hand-polished, and detachable, and is certainly a sweet bit of mechanism. In three years of constant use I have never had even the slightest intimation of a jam or a misfire with the 6.5, nor lost a single head of game that offered a decent chance.

Lacking the equipment for careful targeting at known ranges, I can not say just what sort of groups it would make in a machine rest, but for practical work in the game fields it appeal to me as just about the handiest, deadliest, sweetest-shooting tool which ever got into my hands - and I've had plenty of rifles!

Reading the works of other hunters and riflemen, I note that with very few exceptions they show a decided preference for longer barrels in the Mannlicher - preferably 24 inches or more. No doubt these long tubes do add speed to a bullet, and more punch at the delivery end.

I never got a chance to tag a moose with that small sweetheart of a rifle, but would welcome the opportunity to try it out on from a mature dinosaur to a small switch engine. I think it would stop either if held right.

One of the bucks killed with it was shot at an estimated range of 350 yards, across a big marsh. Using the regular 160-grain loads, I held a couple of feet over his shoulder and eased off the set trigger very carefully, shooting from the prone position with my elbows dug in solidly. The buck threw up his head and whistled, stamping his feet angrily and evidently uncertain as to the nature of the big insect which had just cracked past too high. So, dragging the front sight down just a hair, I slammed the second one across And both Mrs. Lee and I afterward agreed that we heard it land on the big boy's shoulder. Down he went in a still heap, not even thrashing after he struck.

As usual we found both shoulders broken, and the 10-pointer was 'too dead to skin", after detouring around a lot dri-ki, we finally reached him.

Performances of that type have welded my affection and respect for the little Mannlicher, until it even seems likely that I will keep it permanently, something which has never happened with any other bun in my years of constant change; and , outside of the specially built arms of Griffin & Howe, Hoffman, Niedner, and other of their kind, it seem to me that the 6.5mm Mannlicher stands almost alone in the field of finely built and most effective hunting arms.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Old 1930 article. The Finest All-'Round Deer Gun

Post by tman »

I always liked that bolt gun. A savage 99A .308WCF with the barrel cut to the same length might give it a run for it's money. Sort of a Retro-Modern update :wink:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

That's one that I don't have that I'd like to have. Always have admired them. Split receiver and all...

That "fast" 160 grain bullet is going all of 2250 fps or so. :)

But man do they penetrate!

The 6.5x55 is even better delivering 2500 fps or so with that bullet. About perfect for larger game.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I had a chance to buy one maybe 15 years ago, with a very similar scope set-up, and an old steel Weaver scope. It was $700, which was just too much for me back then, even if just in my mind.

A few years ago (maybe three) I did buy a CZ 550 FS, in 6.5x55 Swedish. It is not quite as light or quite as slick, but it feels like a more durable rifle. I am very fond of it, although I haven't hunted with it yet. Haven't hunted since I've had it, btw.

Great luck with yours. I can see you already love it.

Sean
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I'm kind of partial to either my grandfather's Remington Model 721 or my Ruger Hawkeye both being chambered in 270 Winchester. Light recoil for the power that it has and shoots flat as well.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

good story, wrong gun. Gotta be .30 cal or larger and have a lever in my story. :D
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

They are wonderful little rifles. I had one for a short time but had to get rid of it because it needed rebarrelling and I couldnt afford it. The action and build quality, the stockwork all bring to mind real old world class.

I find it telling in the article however, that is otherwise about the Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine, that the writer spent many years as a hunter and guide and got by quite well with a .38/40 Winchester 92....
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

buckeyeshooter wrote:good story, wrong gun. Gotta be .30 cal or larger and have a lever in my story. :D
+1, the author is clearly misguided! :wink:
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

O.S.O.K. wrote:That's one that I don't have that I'd like to have. Always have admired them. Split receiver and all...

That "fast" 160 grain bullet is going all of 2250 fps or so. :)

But man do they penetrate!

The 6.5x55 is even better delivering 2500 fps or so with that bullet. About perfect for larger game.
Think .308WCF 200 gr. 8)