Todays "gunsmiths"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sullkat

Todays "gunsmiths"

Post by sullkat »

I contacted Steve Young about cutting down some barrels and cutting dovetails etc. Steve said he is about 10 months out on his work, so I thought I would see if I could find another smith.
The first one I contacted implied he was on his way to become a world class smith so I told him what I needed was basically to have the barrels cut and readied for putting back on the receivers.
I got this novel length email from him and about half way through it, it said he would have to buy some new tooling to do the job, a dovetail cutter and a CHAMBER cutter!! at that point I just deleted the email and contact info.

Another one that claims to do all and make guns as well said he could cut the barrels but could not do dovetails for sights or mag tube hangers nor drill the dimple hole for the mag tube cap retention screw.

Another one I talked to that advertises to be a smith said he only does simple stuff, I asked what that was and he said change screws, springs and such.
So now 10 months is looking real close.
I guess those module guns have changed the concept of what a gunsmith is.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Todays "gunsmiths"

Post by gamekeeper »

You have to be REAL careful who you trust to work on your guns these days.. :(
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Oh yeah,
You would not believe what I have come across.
I leave feeling " I can't believe he looked me in the eye and said that "
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

You should have told the first one "No I want it cut from the other end". :mrgreen:
Harry
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I feel your frustration. I was in a shop talking to a local gunsmith yesterday about shaving off the front sight and cutting a dovetail in one of my Vaqueros for a new front sight. The conversation was less than satisfying. There were actually 3 "gunsmiths" at this particular establishment, and only one of them cuts dovetails. I left feeling less than confident in their abilities. I hate to send a gun off and wait weeks or months for a relatively simple job, but I also don't want an improper size dovetail cut, or one cut that is off center.

Most of the gunsmiths today are basically armorers. They swap out parts, screws, springs, etc., or call themselves 'smiths just because they can build a black rifle.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Sadly, I think some folks become gunsmiths with the intention of becoming rich and famous. The gun rags are to blame. And, as they have delusions of grandure, they take on more work than they can handle, and over charge for what they do.

Now that's not to say there aren't some very fine smiths who charge a fair price for their work, and turn down work when they are swamped. I recently found one that "may" be in that catagory. I'm starting him on small jobs. If he pans out, I'll keep giving him work. And, unlike the other smiths I've had long term relationships in the past, this fellow is actually young, well younger than me. Hopefully he'll out live me, I'm getting tired of breaking in new smiths.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I'm watching a young one comeing up, only time will tell.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Heck, send the work to me! I can do all of that. But I'll have to get some new tooling first.... :P

I've done quite a bit of home gunsmithing but that sounds just a bit beyond my capabilities and I really would have to get the tooling :lol:

ETA - just a thought... call the gunsmithing college in Trinidad, CO - they probably have some recent grads that need work. They aught to be ready for that kind of work too...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

What do you expect? No one in the entire USA is capable of making an Over/Under or a Side by Side shotgun. Remington has difficulty in reproducing the Marlin, and so on and so forth.

This country has losts its abilty to "make" things. No surprise that the number of good gunsmiths are retiring or passing away. The remaining "quality smiths" in high demand, with long lists.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Anyone who can actually make something is not going to go hungry as long as people know about him. It doesn't matter if he's a plumber, mason, gunsmith, or whatever.

By the way I have the "tooling" to cut a dovetail... Old school but it works...
dovetailfile.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Hobie :lol: :lol: :lol:
priceless
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

YES, Hobie they do work just fine, Had trouble buying the right file but it did work fine. Cut the front sight from my grandson's Henry .22 cut the dovetail and put a Marbles bead on. Remember when Ted did his? He sent me the parts number from Midway, rifle shoot great now.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Bobby Pitchford. www.Pcgguns.com
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

[quote="Marlin32"]What do you expect? No one in the entire USA is capable of making an Over/Under or a Side by Side shotgun. Remington has difficulty in reproducing the Marlin, and so on and so forth.

Not entirely true. There is a smith not far from me who makes side by sides by hand and machine.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There needs to be an 'Angies List' just for gunsmiths...

(...now THAT would be really politically incorrect... 8) )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

What your talking about is just basic machine work. This is why I'm trying to save up for a lathe and a small mill just for fine work. But like Hobie says a file and some time it can be done. My brother has his own machine shop ,but that is over two hours away . That's OK for my personal stuff. But if I'm going to pay for a FFL I need to get my own equipment.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Heck, send the work to me! I can do all of that. But I'll have to get some new tooling first....
Not to mention the time that it might take for you to test it in the field. Wouldn't be right to send it back until you knew positively that those new sights were dead on!!

Of course, except for the necessary ammo, no extra charge for testing or storage :D
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

AJMD429 wrote:There needs to be an 'Angies List' just for gunsmiths...

(...now THAT would be really politically incorrect... 8) )

That would become nothing more than a BATFE hit list.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have a not so small lathe And a not so small mill.
It never occured to me to do that kind of work for anyone except myself :?
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

It sounds like folks with no more skills than I have are hanging a shingle and calling themselves professionals.

My motto has always been, "I'm not a real gunsmith, I just play one in my backyard." (on my own stuff).

The only one I dissappoint is me. :oops:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

20cows,
I guess you missed my post about the 94 parts kit on gunbroker, must have been a police thing.
Someone bandsawed thru the action.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

A lot of us have found John Taylor to be a fine "old school" 'smith. He'll return your rifle, with an invoice attached, you inspect his work, then send payment. A lot of us, with old levers and single shots, swear by his work. http://www.johntaylormachine.com
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I was thinking just the other day about a little lathe someone used to make. I think it was called to as a jeweler's lathe. You could also turn them up on end and use it for a small mill. Anyone remember those?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yes,
I do, but they are woefully underpowered for gun work.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

2 professionals that you should never sacrifice on quality are GUNSMITHS and DIVORCE LAWYERS! :lol:
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Rusty,

Could it be the UNIMAT?:

http://home1.gte.net/jaynes/lathes/Unim ... 3-page.htm

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yes Shawn, it was the Unimat... Oh boy another birthday is right around the corner.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

You know, maybe we need a sticky with good gunsmiths listed.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

20cows wrote:It sounds like folks with no more skills than I have are hanging a shingle and calling themselves professionals.

My motto has always been, "I'm not a real gunsmith, I just play one in my backyard." (on my own stuff).

You sure got that right. I'm trying to nerve up to do some work on my Winoku 92. D&T for Lyman 66, remove rebound hammer, and some trigger system mods.

Around Alberta a good rifle smith can still be found. However wait lists are longish. We have a great local web forum and it acts like an Angie's list for us.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Canuck Bob wrote:
20cows wrote:It sounds like folks with no more skills than I have are hanging a shingle and calling themselves professionals.
You sure got that right. I'm trying to nerve up to do some work on my Winoku 92. D&T for Lyman 66, remove rebound hammer, and some trigger system mods.
Around Alberta a good rifle smith can still be found. However wait lists are longish. We have a great local web forum and it acts like an Angie's list for us.
Some things I'm willing to tackle myself... including some filing, sanding or trimming. Other, precision stuff (& I include dovetails in that category), I'm not.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I kinda sorta work "with" a fellow that has a gunsmith shop . I don't technically work for him and he doesn't work for me . We just kinda do our thing outta his shop and do jobs for each other for free .

Anyway this fellow just turned 31 and has been doing gunsmithing for about 4 years now after going to school in Denver for two years at the gunsmithing trade school . He's actually very good at AR's , 1911's and most any bolt action or lever action . And believe you me when it's my gun I'm picky as hell !
I am not overly impressed by my friends stocking skills . But in this day an age a good many of the better smiths farm out stockwork , checkering etc and kinda do a specialty thing .

A good many of the folks like my friend I tend to think of more as gun mechanics rather then what I termed a gunsmith 30-40 years ago . I knew several what I consider TRUE gunsmiths from this area and in southeastern PA that are dead and gone . And it was truely a loss to the profession .

Now if I want something done to a lever rifle or bolt action or even a Ruger #1 I let my buddy do it . And I send my stock work to a mutual friend of ours about 20 miles away who does a magnificent job (but he ain't inexpensive) . As to my side by side's and over and under shotguns I let him take care of them if it "appears" to be something simple . Otherwise thay get boxed up and shipped to another guy I've done buisness with for 30 years now .

My friend is very well "tooled up" so to speak . And if something comes in he doesn't have the correct cutter or whatever for we usually have it in hand in 2-4 days and work goes on . Some folks may not agree but Brownel's is a wonderfull place when you don't have a specific tool and you find out you needed it yesterday . Typically we order and have it in 36 hours .

Gunsmiths are like anything else . When you go to a well know smith expect to pay a little more and wait a good while longer to get it back .With my friend as an example normal stuff as mentioned in the beginning of this thread would be no problem and I'd trust him with the job . However if the guy isn't capable of such small things I'd move on to another .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hagler wrote:Rusty,

Could it be the UNIMAT?:

http://home1.gte.net/jaynes/lathes/Unim ... 3-page.htm

Shawn

That things is the predecessor I suppose of the Smithy you can get now thats a bit larger and is good for small lathe work small milling work and normal precision drilling !

http://www.smithy.com/midas
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Go to cast Boolits and see the sticky on cutting dovetails by hand. I had to learn to do a perfect dovetail that way before i was allowed to use a machine.
sullkat

Post by sullkat »

I have looked at the sticky on hand cutting dove tails and that is why I need a expert, I know it has been discussed here also but it ain't my cup of tea, nor do I have a place to work.
I will wait for Steve Young to get caught up and send them to him.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

WAIT THE TEN MONTHS!!!!!!!!

I, too, swear by my gunsmith's work - I started yelling and cursing right there in the shop the moment they brought it out.

This was supposedly the best smith in the area, the one Winchester listed to do all their warranty work (ok, not that that's saying much).

Currently, I am my own gunsmith, and not by choice. I couldn't Bubbah my guns as bad as this shop. This pro who even has a wildcat named after him hired some peach-fuzz kid who drills into guns while they are sitting in his lap. Might was well just eyeball it, it's not MY gun. I asked for my tang screws back, he didn't save them. Then he goes in and gets two random screws and hands them to me.

I'd hire Stevie Wonder to work on my guns before I'd go back there. Not to mention it was a 30 mile drive each way, they never called when the job was ready, and were generally clueless.

After they drilled my tang sight hole off 1/8" and canted off center, they filled it, re-drilled it, and the re-drill was now on center (by some miracle) but 1/16" away from its intended spot and angled down.

It does function since I went to OSH and got a machine screw which fits, and the beveled head makes enough contact with the tang sight flange so it is solid. That model Marble's has a cover which covers the abomination.

Read this thread:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... s&start=20

Not to mention, a couple of years before they slicked up my Winchester. I asked for a trigger job, which I didn't get, but they cut the spring shorter and filed down a part so the lever would work a little easier. The part was filed down to almost nothing, and filing was very jagged and random looking. A shade-tree gunsmith at the silhouette range alerted me to it when he worked on the trigger. Hmm, a cut spring, maybe that's why it would misfire?

No biggie, I replaced the part and carefully sanded it down myself with emery paper to remove any burrs. It was just as slick, and just as strong as the original. I replaced the spring also and no more misfires.

You see what I mean that now I'm my own gunsmith! Although I started out trusting the professionals to do every little thing. I even bought some taps in case I need to drill and tap my own holes.

I hear they have an opening and can turn your work around in a week or two, but I would...

"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."