Sizing for 150gr 30-30 bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sharktown
Levergunner

Sizing for 150gr 30-30 bullets

Post by Sharktown »

I have been casting for my Marlin 30-30 and need some suggestions as to what diameter to size the bullets to. I am using a Lee 150gr flat nose GC mold to cast the bullets. Question is what would I size the bullets to - .309 or .310? I haven't bought the sizing die yet or slugged the barrel so I a wanted to ask here first.

Thanks - Sharktown
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Sizing for 150gr 30-30 bullets

Post by Shasta »

Slugging the barrel would be the first thing you need to do. I like to use pure lead round balls, or even a fishing split shot, so long as it is larger than the bore being measured. Once you have established the bore size, get a sizer die that is .001"-.002" larger and you are in business. My 1894 Winchester .30-30 required a .309" sizer and shoots cast lead bullets very well.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yep, really need to slug the bore first. Oil it up good and use dead soft lead.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Sharktown there is this guy I know that can give you lots of help with your question. Just give this guy a holler: Terry Murbach

Harry
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

The gurus I listen too suggest sizing for the throat. You can research this on the cast boolits forum.

Oversize is required as the gases will cut past a slightly undersize bullet. To get started I slugged with fishing weights and bought sizers .002 oversize. I can open them a bit if I choose later.

Another thing to watch is that regular dies may leave the neck small enough to swage the cast bullet undersize while seating. It is suggested to pull one and measure. Folks like the Lyman M die for sizing. Custom expanders are available to accomodate cast bullets if required. Many guys report no problems though. My RCBS 444 dies did not downsize my purchased cast bullets. My 303 did a little bit.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Sharktown...You asked a simple question, so I will give a simple answer. If you are choosing between .309 and .310 go with .310.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

harry wrote:Sharktown there is this guy I know that can give you lots of help with your question. Just give this guy a holler: Terry Murbach
That's baaaaad... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I do em all .311
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Sharktown
Levergunner

Post by Sharktown »

A thank you goes out to all who responded with their suggestions and thoughts. I figured to slug the barrel but wanted to get some opinions, you guys gave a weath of information. I always like to ask the question first as I know there will be good information on this forum from people willing to help and have already been doing what I'm asking about.
One other question I have - my Marlin was rechambered to 30-30 improved some years ago and have only been using jacketed bullets so I was wondering if there will be any issues using my water quenched cast bullets at improved velocities?
Thanks again for your help. :D

Sharktown
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Sharktown wrote:I have been casting for my Marlin 30-30 and need some suggestions as to what diameter to size the bullets to. I am using a Lee 150gr flat nose GC mold to cast the bullets. Question is what would I size the bullets to - .309 or .310? I haven't bought the sizing die yet or slugged the barrel so I a wanted to ask here first.

Thanks - Sharktown
Until you slug the barrel, all anyone can do is offer their best guess. I don't mean to contradict anyone's comments this morning--they all mean well. Slug first, and use a decent mike when measuring, then go from there. Every barrel is a tiny bit different, and until you slug and measure, none of us will really be able to opine as to what will work best in your gun.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Seat an unsized bullet in empty case and see if it chambers and adjust from there. I have both .308 and .309 sizers never really noticed much of an accury difference between the two diameters. All the Lee flat point .30cal molds have shot good for me.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Shasta wrote:Slugging the barrel would be the first thing you need to do. I like to use pure lead round balls, or even a fishing split shot, so long as it is larger than the bore being measured. Once you have established the bore size, get a sizer die that is .001"-.002" larger and you are in business. My 1894 Winchester .30-30 required a .309" sizer and shoots cast lead bullets very well.
SHASTA
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Until yo slug the barrel who knows? Then is it micro groove or ballard? I just finished a coversion with an old cut rifled barrel on a Marlin 336 and the bore went 307, for that tube we are starting at 310 sizing and may go to 311 depending on accuracy and leading at +2000 fps. If it is a modenr mico groove barrel you will want a bigger harder bullet say 311 to start but you really ned to slug first.
Sharktown
Levergunner

Post by Sharktown »

Yes, it is a micro groove barrel - I believe I bought it in 1976 or 1977. Had it rechambered to AI and reblued around 7 years years ago too.

Thanks - Sharktown
3006mv
Levergunner

Post by 3006mv »

Is recovering a boolit in wet sand and measuring base a way of slugging? Or is that a bit off due to deformation, even if base does not seem deformed and has good grooves/cuts
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

3006mv wrote:Is recovering a boolit in wet sand and measuring base a way of slugging? Or is that a bit off due to deformation, even if base does not seem deformed and has good grooves/cuts
Let's just say that it's not quite as good as pushing thru a lead slug. The pushing thru a lead slug will also tell you if you have any "tight" or "loose" spots in the barrel that can also affect accuracy... or not.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I would not concern myself with slugging a 30-30. They are all within specs. I must have slugged 2 dozen of them and they all came out at .308-.309.

I size all 30 calibers, no matter the cartridge at .311, sometimes .312. The bigger, the better as the fatter diameter helps to center the bullet concentric with the bore,------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I don't even size um, I just shoot um as cast. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Here is a list from beartooth bullets... :)
Marlin Micro- Groove Bullet Diameter - Copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I have never slugged a 30-30 barrel, I started using cast sized at .310 and it worked extremely well in all my levers and my Contender barrels so I never bothered. :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

One of the most accurate bullets in my first 3 or 4 Winchester .30-30s I've ever found is the .307 dia Sierra 150 grain, so when I started to load cast, I went to .309 gaschecked, cast very hard and run them just as fast as those jacketed Sierras. Accuracy is just about the same, if not a mite better with the cast.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

.310 or .311 will do just fine. Be aware that some of those Marlins have little or no throat/free bore, making the use of cast bullets with a driving band out of case neck problematic. Not all, but some...