The old cook stove

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

The old cook stove

Post by Pitchy »

Turned cold here and i shut down the out door furnace so cleaned off all the junk and fired up the old cook stove.
Just had some goooood eggs, they seem to taste better cooked on it. :D
Feels good having it and a outhouse, must be the survival instinct in me.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The old cook stove

Post by rangerider7 »

My grandmother, bless her soul, cooked on one of those for many years. I chopped some wood for it too when I was young.
"That'll Be The Day"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

We used to use it more and i missed it so will keep it fired for a while.
Spring and fall is hard to keep the out door furnace going so this works good.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

They are a labor of Love Pitchy. the Camp I have gone to in Canada for years has a big wood range in the cookhouse.new guests soon learn why there is a screen door on one side of it and a huge window on the other,if You can't stand the Heat..... 8) .
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

.45colt wrote:They are a labor of Love Pitchy. the Camp I have gone to in Canada for years has a big wood range in the cookhouse.new guests soon learn why there is a screen door on one side of it and a huge window on the other,if You can't stand the Heat..... 8) .
Yep yep, wouldn`t want to use it in the summer but sure feels good this morn as it was 50 in the house :shock:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Same here Pard,after the record heat last week, all the city folks at work were talkin summer.trees are blooming flowers are up. I lit the stove yesterday and We have frost warnings tonight....28*. :lol: .
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Very cool Pitchy,
Tell me something about that copper bottom
Coffee pot. I have one just like it but in aluminum
with the metal basket and stem. 8)
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I too ate many a meal form a BUCK brand wood stove. I still have one in our cabin and Pitchy is right, the food tastes better!

Got severly beat over a wood stove one time too...

Grandma started the wood stove every morning by loadn it with cobs and pouring in a 1/2 cup of tractor fuel. (Kerosene) Well my sister came out with the Kero can and asked which barrel had the Kero in it and I said, to be a smart fellow, Oh the RED one. Next morning Grandma poured in 1/2 cup of gas and lit it off. All 4 stove lids came off and the kitchen was filled with soot. My posterior still smarts just thinking about it.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

casastahle wrote:Very cool Pitchy,
Don`t know much about it, bought it and the others at second hand stores a while back.
Wife uses that one the most.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
My aunt did the samr thing to me KCSO! :lol:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

KCSO wrote:I too ate many a meal form a BUCK brand wood stove. I still have one in our cabin and Pitchy is right, the food tastes better!

Got severly beat over a wood stove one time too...

Grandma started the wood stove every morning by loadn it with cobs and pouring in a 1/2 cup of tractor fuel. (Kerosene) Well my sister came out with the Kero can and asked which barrel had the Kero in it and I said, to be a smart fellow, Oh the RED one. Next morning Grandma poured in 1/2 cup of gas and lit it off. All 4 stove lids came off and the kitchen was filled with soot. My posterior still smarts just thinking about it.
:lol: Missed your post, bet that was a sight and a pain in the butt. :lol:
When i was a kid and would stay at grandmas she would prepare the stove before bed for a morning light. Then she would make oatmeal with raisens in it for breakfast, unless you would ask then she would say, Dry bread and ear slaps. :o
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Almost everything tastes better when cooked with wood. My Dad taught me to use an axe because as a kid, being the youngest boy, he did a lot of chopping for the wood for breakfast. He used to be really good with an axe, and I am able to put the blade in the same cut most of the time. My Dad got good with the axe because it saved time and effort, and it made it faster for breakfast. The rest of the family had their chores. Dad says that his Mom could get a fire going in a very short time with the slivers he brought in and the kindling. She used 1 match on some very thin slivers and built it bigger as the wood caught fire. I never saw her do it, but when camping as a kid, I saw my Dad make the fire that way. If I ever get a hunting cabin someplace where it gets cold, it will have a wood stove.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Pitchy wrote:
casastahle wrote:Very cool Pitchy,
Don`t know much about it, bought it and the others at second hand stores a while back.
Wife uses that one the most.

I really like those, just something about old cook stoves and
old coffee pots. Taste better too :wink:
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

When we would go to clean my grandfather's house in Comanche, Texas my mother would first thing go and get his old coffee pot off the stove and empty the old coffee grounds, about half way full, and egg shells out of it. He would raise o'billy about it. I can here him yell now "Don't do that, I just got it to the way I like it." You could stand a spoon in a cup of his coffee. :lol:
"That'll Be The Day"
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I love those old stoves, Pitchy! My sister had two at different homesteads on her ranch. Thieves came in the back way and stole one. On the other, the bulls got in the old house (trying to get out of the MT winter wind) and knocked the chimney down. Guess where it landed! That stove was a fancy one with a copper water reservoir in it.

A couple of years ago I overheard my wife's grandpa in Ohio asking one of his sons-in-law what he thought his kerosene stove was worth. I knew if I mentioned it he would offer to give it to me, so I never said a word because I knew he must be needing some cash. I went to the hotel that night and looked all over the internet to find an actual sales price. The next day I told him I'd give him high dollar for it. Made us both extremely happy! Then, he produced about 12 wicks for it. Neat old stove.

Sure miss that old curmudgeon. Lost him last Dec. He was a combat engineer and saw action in Guam, Luzon, and Okinowa.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

RR, I always heard they cracked a whole egg in the pot to soak up the grounds so they wouldn`t pour out when tipping the pot.

Here`s a picture of the whole stove and a old iron , the top opens and ya put coals in it.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have made and drank hundreds of pots of boiled coffe often called "sheep herder brew" around these parts. We either put egg shells in it to hold the ground to the bottom and often poured in a cup of cold water "to settle the grounds" just before we drank it.

I was at some folks house and they served me the best cup of coffee I have ever drunk. I asked how they made it and they took me to the kitchen and showed me the first Mr. Coffee machine I have ever seen. My first Mr. Coffee machine taught me that was an easier way to make better coffee.
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

My wife used to work at a local Chick-fil-A. One day she happened to see someone back in the kitchen taking out a pan of biscuits that were not browned well at all. She commented to no one in particular, "those biscuits look like the ones my grannie used to cook in her wood stove." A few minutes later, one of the "young" ladies that also worked the front quietly asked my wife, "Miss Margaret, was your grannies stove really made out of wood?" Bless Rose's heart, she was only 18 at the time, so I guess she had never heard of "wood-burning stoves" !!

Walt
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Mine looks similar, is a "peach" colored Copper Clad. I have to send it off to be refurbished, but going to put in the sunroom I think.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

This one is a quick meal.
Thanks guys for the replies 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

What? No cast iron pans?
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

wecsoger wrote:What? No cast iron pans?
:lol: When i took that picture this morn the wife told me i`d better use the cast iron pans. As usual she was right :oops:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Love the stove Pitchy. I also like your coffee pots. I have about 8 or 10 stove top percolators. I like collect them and use several of them. I spend a lot of time in the fall and winter at my place in the woods where there is only fire for cooking. The coffee tastes better out there.

Kevin
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks Kevin, the wood heat is feeling mighty fine right now.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Yup pretty dang neat Pitchy
I dont know why everything tasted better on the old cook stove
but it just did, one of my first jobs was packing in wood for the cook stove, I was maybe 4 or 5 then & the reward was always a hot meal

ollogger
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Just had some goooood eggs, they seem to taste better cooked on it.
Famous chef James Beard claimed the food indeed tasted different. He thought baked goods were affected by the difference in the oven interior humidity.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

My grandmother had one of those too. As a kid I was always amazed at how fast she could get a good fire going in it with only 1 match. Her other feat of amazement was sharpening an Old Hickory Knife on the steps of her back porch. When she passed, my parents asked if there was any article in the house that I would care to have as a memory. I used that same old knife today cutting steak into fajita meat. The blade is thin and worn, but it still holds an edge with just a few hits on my steal.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

That be the pup water tank and all, I grew up with one of those. That and a lever gun hanging over the back door.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nice old stove Pitchy. I been thinking about getting a little 2 burner to use in the canning shed.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Pitchy, those eggs a-fryin' on that stove are a sight for sore eyes! Food always tastes better cooked on a stove like that. My mother cooked on a stove like that until I started going to school. Then she got one of those new-fangled electric stoves.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

MY late brother had one in his kitchen. His wife insisted on a modern range as well (for summer), but they burned wood and cooked on the big old (nicely porcelain finished but old) iron monster for 25 years. After he died his wife put the stove up for sale.

My BIL, who lives in what was in the late '60s billed as a "GE all-electric" home, but since he has gone to oil heat/hot water, bought the cook stove from my brother's widow and replaced his wife's electric range with a compact gas range for summer use. He says "I got 15 acres of ash out back that grows faster than I can thin it, and I'm paying for ELECTRICITY to heat food?"
Certified gun nut
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

The first winter we lived here, 20 years ago we heated the house with only the cook stove. Worked good but don`t hold a fire very long and at 30 below ya had to get up and feed it alot.
Kirk if your stopping by in July i`m afraid your outta luck as far as eggs on the wood stove goes. :wink:

adirondakjack, when the power goes out it will be worth its weight in gold. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Pitchy wrote: Kirk if your stopping by in July i`m afraid your outta luck as far as eggs on the wood stove goes. :wink:
I know what you mean. When I was a kid, and the temperature was in the 80's, Mom would be cooking over that hot wood stove and was it hot in the kitchen!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/