Looking for a favor on measured 8MM bullets, please

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Looking for a favor on measured 8MM bullets, please

Post by Canuck Bob »

Could I ask folks to measure some 8MM bullets please. I've read reports that some 8MM bullets are actally made undersize of the reported standard .323. I'm really interested in the 200 gr Nosler Partition but any you might have on the shelf would be appreciated.
Last edited by Canuck Bob on Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Re: ooking for a favor on measured 8MM bullets, please

Post by Pop Watts »

I am sure the Noslers are .323

I have some downstairs and will measure them tomorrow.

Sorry, but it is near midnight in Sydney and I need my sleep.

Pop.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

You need to measure them when you get them as they can vary up to .005 per lot. Noslers I have average 323 and I have some Hornadys that go 324. I also have some old ones that go 322.
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

A few years ago I bought several hundred 125gr 8mm Kurtz
bullets and it is fun to go varmenting with them at 3300 fps.
Pressure is not really that high but that Mauser 30 inch
( approx?) barrel sure helps a lot I bet.

Seriously, that is same velocity as my 7mm Rem shoots 125gr
bullets and that is with data extrapolated from some load charts. They shoot pretty accurately and since they were
designed to shoot pistol velocities, they absolutely explode
in a water jug. I have not actually killed anything with it.

How come the fascination with 200 gr diameters ?
What are you hunting ? What are your loads ?
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

preventec47 wrote:..... How come the fascination with 200 gr diameters ?
I am considering options for my 32 Special. I've considered the Partition cllipped to around 185 gr for a FN. I can hear the exclamatins of horror all the way to Canada! Yes, I am considering shooting 8MM bullets in a Winchester 32 Special. I am waiting on some throat slugs to verify my barrels dimensions and asked this to get started.

I realize many of you will consider this foolhardy. I have researched it carefuly and have found much evidence of a couple thou not being a big concern if proper workup of loads is observed. I am still researching and still consider this a safety risk at this time.

Many 32 Specials were shipped with .318 barrels and you can bet hardly one in many thousands even know that while firing .321 bullets. The early Mini-30 was a .308 barrel and has digested lots of commie block stuff in the .311 range. P. O. Ackley did some testing and found that oversize isn't as dangerous as one would think. The SAMMI spec for the 32 Special actually lists the bullet at .322 and the grooves at .320.

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Dr ... pecial.pdf
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Looking for a favor on measured 8MM bullets, please

Post by ollogger »

Bob
I thought if i ran across a box of 170gr.8mm Hornady round nose id try
them in my 32 WS, its 101 years old & shows its age, but shoots good
I wouldnt be afraid to try it, let us know if you try it
ollogger
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

My dad's load uses a 196 gr .318, but that is a different 8mm (8x57 JR).
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Bob Norma makes some 8mm that are 323 they are 196 gr and round nose the alaskan wouldnt have to trim it just crimp it good with a lee FCD. Speer also makes a RN 170 in 8mm. Savage loaded .311 190 gr bullets in the 303 sav which was a .308 barrel so a 323 in a 321 barrel should work. danny
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Thanks for not jumping on me.

I ran into a report that Paco wrote about clipping 8MM bullet noses for the 32. I can't find the article if it exists.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Hi Bob,

I measured some Nosler Partition 8mm 200gn projectiles I have and they run at 322.5" - 323"

Some old Speer Hot Core 200gn measured the same.

The Speer box was marked as 323"

I am shooting them through an 8x57 JR.

Pop.
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

You can buy bullet sizers from Lee for less than 25 or 30 dollars in any size you want.
So you could if you wanted to just resize the 8mms to any size you want.

The way I understand it, they will work with any single stage press

Just push the bullets through.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Canuck Bob wrote:
preventec47 wrote:..... How come the fascination with 200 gr diameters ?
I am considering options for my 32 Special. I've considered the Partition cllipped to around 185 gr for a FN. I can hear the exclamatins of horror all the way to Canada! Yes, I am considering shooting 8MM bullets in a Winchester 32 Special. I am waiting on some throat slugs to verify my barrels dimensions and asked this to get started.

I realize many of you will consider this foolhardy. I have researched it carefuly and have found much evidence of a couple thou not being a big concern if proper workup of loads is observed. I am still researching and still consider this a safety risk at this time.

Many 32 Specials were shipped with .318 barrels and you can bet hardly one in many thousands even know that while firing .321 bullets. The early Mini-30 was a .308 barrel and has digested lots of commie block stuff in the .311 range. P. O. Ackley did some testing and found that oversize isn't as dangerous as one would think. The SAMMI spec for the 32 Special actually lists the bullet at .322 and the grooves at .320.

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Dr ... pecial.pdf
From what I read for many years the US ammo companies down loaded the 8mm because of the fear of .318 barrels. So I would think you wouldn't have too many problems, because as you say, you will be working up slow.

You may be able to find some jacketed .318 as 8mm J, and the .321 as the 8mm JS, but as preventec47 says, you can resize them also.

Maybe cast would be a way to go also, I don't know what speed you are looking for, but hard cast with gaschecks, you could get 2000fps without leading.

Steve
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

This is about experimentation as much as anything else. I do plan to shoot a cast load as well. 32 Special shooters are very limited in bullet selection for jacketed. A guy could work up some interesting lighter weight loads for single loading.

I stomp around the Rockies for plinking. My plan is to carry a few stout loads in the tube of my 94 and single load the cast plinkers through the gate. That way a heavy load is only one shot or lever away from the chamber.

I am also using Ken Waters system of checking case expansion to track pressure. Anything I load is always reduced a bit for the sake of the gun and my shoulder and pocket.
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

I think those 125 gr 8mm Kurtz bullets could work well for you as a loaded in the
chamber spritzer bullet. You could shoot em low power or resize them and load em
higher power
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

preventec47 wrote:You can buy bullet sizers from Lee for less than 25 or 30 dollars in any size you want.
Hmmm... that's interesting. I didn't know they would make them in sizes other than those cataloged. I might could go for one in about .269 to do a rework of 270 bullets for my old Arisakas. But for just a couple thousandths I think I'd let the barrel do the sizing.
BigSky56 wrote:Savage loaded .311 190 gr bullets in the 303 sav which was a .308 barrel so a 323 in a 321 barrel should work. danny
Arthur Savage figured he got better accuracy with the slightly oversized bullets and quite a lot of critters were shot with them. As long as the bullet isn't oversized enough to cause tight chambering I don't think you are going to detect any great increase in pressure. I say go for it and give us the report!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I am winding up our busy winter access season in the oilpatch here. My health has returned and break up is the season to play.

I'll reload for my 32 and give this a try. I am throating the rifle first as I want a gentle throat for cast and paper patch shooting. My chamber has a forcing cone like a curb!