Help me decide

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike S.
Levergunner 1.0

Help me decide

Post by Mike S. »

Ok, trying to decide which to take on my 1st bear hunt.

These are the levers I've got-

Win 94 38-55 26" octogon barrel, tang sight using 255 barnes jacketed with 32 gr. Reloder-7

OR

Win 94 .45 Colt 20" barrel, tang sight and 300 gr. cast with 23 gr. H-110

Both are good shooters, maybe a slight edge in accuracy to the 38-55, but hunting over bait so probably gonna be short range....
They are both newer USRAC models.

Been struggling trying to decide :?

Anyone got any opinion?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Help me decide

Post by J Miller »

Seriously ........ take 'em both. Decide which to use when you get there.

Joe

Yeah, I know that don't help much do it?
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mike S.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Mike S. »

J Miller wrote:Seriously ........ take 'em both. Decide which to use when you get there.

Joe

Yeah, I know that don't help much do it?
Thats what I was gonna do unless somebody here can sway me one way or another!! :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Joe's right - I often take a few different guns along for, say, a week's hunt.

I switch off, or not, as the itch moves me - after all, don't we buy them to use & have fun with them ?

Heck, some even go as far as having "Monday" guns, Tuesday" guns, "Wednesday" guns, etc, etc - and don't forget a "rain" gun for nasty weather, too. :mrgreen:

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Are you hunting the bear or taking him to the rifle range?

As you have stated, for short range, either gun will do.

Kinda depends on the bear you're hunting (Black vs. Brown) but a .45 makes a bigger hole, and if you're hunting from a blind or tree-stand I'd think you might appreciate that 20" barrel.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think I'd take the .38-55 as my primary but I WOULD take the .45 as a backup.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

If your cast bullet has a wide flat meplat, I'd go for the 45, bigger holes leak more. Thick hair and layers of fat can plug up smaller holes. Plus with that heavy cast bullet you are pretty much assured a pass through and two holes to leak. The bear baits I've been on are surrounded by very thick real estate and I'd want a good blood trail in the event of a tracking situation. That's just my personal preference, I'm sure either one would do just fine.
NRA Life Member
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I think the 38-55 will punch a big enough hole and make it deeper (greater sectional density).

I have to admit I have no experience with that bullet, but it would hold true for the 275 gr cast bullet I use.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

38-55
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

38 on even days 45 on odd days or alternate every other meal :) Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Take Both!
If you shoot one of them even slightly better than the other----use that one first.
Mike S.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Mike S. »

Ok, I'll take both. I'll let ya all know how it turns out!

Thanks, Mike
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Yep take Joe's advice and snatch them both up. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Mike S.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Mike S. »

Wow, didn't realize it had been that long since I've been here; I see my last login was in Sept. First of all, thanks again for all the replies.

I ended up choosing the 38-55, at least until I got to the hunting area; the guy that baited for me really recommended something with a scope to get a few more minutes of shooting time, since the bears had been hitting really late in the day this year. End up using the .270 Featherweight I brought with also. Right/wrong I don't know, but I'm a rookie and was looking for any advice.

The first night out, a sow and three cubs came to my bait twenty minutes after got to my stand. I got to watch them for over an hour. They decided to come back right when I was leaving my stand, "trapping" me for forty minutes or so. And yes, for a quick moment, I KNEW that the twig my pack rubbed on as I walked out was the mama bear attacking me from behind :D

The next morning, I got invited to ride along on the bait run. I learned more about bears from this fellow in a few hours than I ever could have read.

That afternoon, I headed to a different stand, about a mile walk into the woods. I was disappointed to see that the bait had already been hit, but decided to stay anyway. Just before dark, a nice bear wandered into what was left of the bait. After what seemed like a heart-pounding eternity, I was finally able to get a shot. He dropped instantly, but rolled back into the trees before I could shoot again. I could hear what I hoped were his last few breaths, so I didn't think he went far. I've heard stories from a few guys about going after wounded bears in the dark that made my hair stand up; now it was my turn! Of course the bulb in my Surefire decided to go burn out while I was tracking him. I had to stumble back to the stand and grab a spare light from my pack. When I finally found him, he had traveled maybe thirty yds from where I shot him. It ended up taking til one a.m. by the time help was rounded up and we got him to town.

He weighed 343 field-dressed, so I would say maybe 400 lbs live weight?

Had a great trip to the woods of northern MN. Spent the next two days catching walleye & northern with a friend that has a cabin up there.

Unfortunately, the night before I was going to head home, my 16 y/o daughter rolled her car while driving home from her volleyball game. It made for a long seven hour drive home. She is fine now, physically anyway, but it has been a long road. Things are finally getting back to normal around here. We are thankful that God spared her life that night.

Anyways, didn't mean for this post to get so long, but just wanted to let you all know how my hunt turned out. I will be applying for a bear license again this year, only this time with my kids! And hopefully, there will be some levers used!

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice bear. Glad your daughter is fine. Wondered how you made out and what you used Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I think I would have chosen the 38-55, just 'cause it sounds better :lol: "Yep, (spits), I got my bahr this year with my "thutty ate fiddy fi"..."
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats on the bear, glad to hear the daughter is fine... and welcome back! :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice. Glad daughter is doing well
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That is a BIG bear.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Griff wrote:Congrats on the bear, glad to hear the daughter is fine... and welcome back! :D :D
:D
Old Law Dawg
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

kimwcook wrote:
Griff wrote:Congrats on the bear, glad to hear the daughter is fine... and welcome back! :D :D
:D
Yep,yep. :D
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

thanks for posting...great story...glad your daughter is ok too...now you have to take one with a levergun... :)
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

OK three things,

1. Glad your daughter is fine.
2. That IS a big bear.
3. I didn't know WWI Army pants came in camo :shock: :o :D
Mike S.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Mike S. »

handirifle wrote:OK three things,

1. Glad your daughter is fine.
2. That IS a big bear.
3. I didn't know WWI Army pants came in camo :shock: :o :D
Thanks everyone, good to be back....this board rocks!
Hope to be around here more!

(Never saw the pants resemblance before....but they are my old favorites) :D

Edited to add....bear is at the taxidermist....hoping to do a half-mount for sure and maybe a full mount if I can swing the $$$$.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Well, you got your bear, so your rifle did the job. I have never hunted bear and call me crazy, but if I ever do it will be with nothing less than my Marlin 1895 in .45-70 and my Colt Anaconda in .44Mag for backup. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!