What 9mm manufacturers ammo do you use for self defense?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

What 9mm manufacturers ammo do you use for self defense?

Post by soon 2 retire »

I'm buying a Glock 19 Gen 4 for concealed carry. I would like to ask those forum members who carry a 9mm pistol: What manufactured ammo do you use for (as Jeff Quinn puts it) social work. I'll reload for practice and plinking but I'd like to rely on manufactured ammo for "between a rock and a hard place" situations.

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What 9mm manufacturers ammo do you use for self defense?

Post by kimwcook »

Our department currently issues Speer Gold Dot for handguns. Prior to that we used Federal HydraShoks.
Old Law Dawg
kasTX
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kasTX »

I suspect you'll get a different answer from every person you ask, but you might want to check out the Youtube videos of a guy that goes by the name of TNOutdoors9. He does gel tests on a variety of calibers and manufacturers. Going from memory, the Golden Sabres and Gold Dots did very well.

Not sure how much difference different brands make in the real world given all the other variables, but one thing that becomes quite obvious from the videos is that 12ga slugs are in a league of their own.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The 9mm these guys have at the bottom of their page has some pretty impressive ballistics... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

None. I could say I make my own, but that would be a bit untruthful. See, I don't ever us a 9mm (well I do use .380 and that's sometimes called a 9mm short) for anything. Why would anyone want to use a puny bullet like a 9mm luger/nato/whatever, when they can have a .45 acp? Oh well, it's not my problem, cuz I (paraphrasing a famous movie line) "don't use no stinking 9mm. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

AJMD429 wrote:The 9mm these guys have at the bottom of their page has some pretty impressive ballistics... :wink:

Sorry AJ, all I see are bullets and cartridges for 9.3 x 62 rifles. I couldn't find pistol ammo at this link. Or, does the wink mean it's tongue in cheek? If so I'm not hittin' on all 8 cylinders today.

Bob in Friday Harbor
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I like the Corbon Powerballs. Going bang 100% of the time beats any type of percieved magic bullet design. My 9's spit them out without fail. For me, they are the best of both worlds.
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Hornady Critical Defense.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

soon 2 retire wrote:Sorry AJ, all I see are bullets and cartridges for 9.3 x 62 rifles. I couldn't find pistol ammo at this link. Or, does the wink mean it's tongue in cheek?
Yep - just envisioning some 9mm bottleneck rifle-round as a 'self-defense' round... maybe from a couple hundred yards... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

For the 9mm (16rds)of Grizzly Extreme 110 grainers at 1350fps in my Star 31P
Makes a hole a garden hose can go throw. :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

A 9mm even with ball is nothing to sneeze at. I've had to investigate many a homicide that a 9mm ball was used. My primary is in 45 ACP, but I also have a 9. It's the survivalist in me. Don't know many countries that don't use a 9mm some how. And, with the advancement in handgun bullet technology over the last 10 years or so a modern 9mm bullet is nothing to sneeze at. But, on the other hand a 45 even without expansion is almost a half inch hole to begin with. I've seen people shot with both die and survive. Placement.
Old Law Dawg
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

jcw wrote:"Hornady Critical Defense."
+1 to that!
FTX Bullet Tests.jpg
Only I'm carrying the .40-cal version now :wink:, as my daughter's boyfriend bought my Kahr PM9. But he's carrying the 9mm CD with FTX bullets. (At least she's well protected.)

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

For my PM9, Ranger and HST.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Ruger LC9 with Winchester Ranger 147gr SXT ....................
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

I have been doing some research and I have found -

Standard pressure - Federal 115 JHP Hi-Shok (SKU 9BP)
+P Pressure - CorBon

I shot both this weekend. Holes looked the same but, my oh my, what a difference in recoil! The Cor Bon wanted to jump out of my hand...and it's expensive!

I have always heard nothing but good about the Speer Gold Dot's , too...but 9BP is cheaper and easier to shoot, IMHO. YMMV
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
1894c

Post by 1894c »

kimwcook wrote:Our department currently issues Speer Gold Dot for handguns. Prior to that we used Federal HydraShoks.
+1

The following is my stock, off-the-shelf answer for this topic: I always use what my local PD or SO uses (in my case I use what my Agency uses--Speer Gold Dots). Too many predatory lawyers or DA's out there just waiting to label you as a stone-cold killer if you ever have to defend yourself.

Why? Because you took the time to research your ammo of choice on the internet, bought and read gun magazines, you discussed ammo options on a forum--you tried various brands and weights--therefore you showed intent, premeditation.

But if you use the same duty ammo that the local PD, SO, or State uses, you can discredit any attempt to classify your choice of defense ammo as evil or inhumane--just my opinion, nothing more, nothing less...code-4... :)

PS--don't even get me started with defending home and hearth with re-loaded ammo...in some cases it have been defended, but in others--NOT. I always trust the advice and experience of Massad Ayoob--he's the one that convinced me to use what the LEO's use...good advice...I know that the LEO's at NYPD use the 9mm 124gr. +P Gold Dot for their duty round.
Last edited by 1894c on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:45 am, edited 8 times in total.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

1894c wrote:
kimwcook wrote:Our department currently issues Speer Gold Dot for handguns. Prior to that we used Federal HydraShoks.
+1

The following is my stock, off-the-shelf answer for this topic: I always use what my local PD or SO uses (in my case I use what my Agency uses--Speer Gold Dots). Too many predatory lawyers or DA's out there just waiting to label you as a stone-cold killer if you ever have to defend yourself.

Why? Because you took the time to research your ammo of choice on the internet, bought and read gun magazines, you discussed ammo options on a forum--you tried various brands and weights--therefore you showed intent, premeditation.
Speer Gold Dot.

On the other note, didn't Talon ammo get renamed because it sounded too predatory(or some similar, litigious reason)? If so, what's going to happen when the first person who has to defend their home from an intruder lets the media know they used Zombie-Max ammo? I'm all for creative marketing, but whaaaaa???
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
1894c

Post by 1894c »

kimwcook wrote:A 9mm even with ball is nothing to sneeze at. I've had to investigate many a homicide that a 9mm ball was used. My primary is in 45 ACP, but I also have a 9. It's the survivalist in me. Don't know many countries that don't use a 9mm some how. And, with the advancement in handgun bullet technology over the last 10 years or so a modern 9mm bullet is nothing to sneeze at. But, on the other hand a 45 even without expansion is almost a half inch hole to begin with. I've seen people shot with both die and survive. Placement.
I totally agree with you kimwcook about the 9mm (I also have a 9mm Glock put away--you know, just in case). Just got done with the first day of a three day OIS in-service-training (my brain hurts). Many crime scene photos and video's, most seem to have used the 9mm (which I found interesting), effective, deadly...
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

soon 2 retire wrote:I'm buying a Glock 19 Gen 4 for concealed carry. I would like to ask those forum members who carry a 9mm pistol: What manufactured ammo do you use for (as Jeff Quinn puts it) social work. I'll reload for practice and plinking but I'd like to rely on manufactured ammo for "between a rock and a hard place" situations.

Bob in Friday Harbor
HOLD IT just a minute, please.

I didn't see one entry that specified that their favorite cartridge or "department load" was for the Glock.

Forget about the non-existent lawsuits stemming out of one using non-standard ammo for self defense; that is mentioned every time that this subject comes up, yet for the last 10 or 15 years since I've seen it, there has not been a single such civil action.

Worry instead about the very real and documented danger of blowing up one's handgun, and possibly suffering injury, maiming, or death from flying shrapnel. A quick Internet search produces YouTube videos, photos and stories about blown up Glocks - and the fact that Glock does not support the cartridges fully, which can present a problem with certain loads.

Before you decide to try somebody's pet round, I respectfully suggest that you investigate what those police departments with GLOCKS use, or what knowledgeable armorers or truly knowledgeable gunsmiths suggest - if you are blessed with a gunsmith in your area who truly knows what he's doing.

Posters - how many of these favorite or "approved" rounds are being shot in Glocks? It seems to me that this is the first question that should be answered; at least from what I have been told about the handguns. I might add that I carried a Glock as a duty gun for a few years with a large State agency whose armorers went to a Glock school. Among other things they were advised (and they advised us) that handloads were not recommended by the manufacturer for this pistol. One can make the inference that certain "hot" factory rounds would therefore be equally dangerous to use with this firearm.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

JohndeFresno wrote:
soon 2 retire wrote:I'm buying a Glock 19 Gen 4 for concealed carry. I would like to ask those forum members who carry a 9mm pistol: What manufactured ammo do you use for (as Jeff Quinn puts it) social work. I'll reload for practice and plinking but I'd like to rely on manufactured ammo for "between a rock and a hard place" situations.

Bob in Friday Harbor
HOLD IT just a minute, please.

I didn't see one entry that specified that their favorite cartridge or "department load" was for the Glock.

Forget about the non-existent lawsuits stemming out of one using non-standard ammo for self defense; that is mentioned every time that this subject comes up, yet for the last 10 or 15 years since I've seen it, there has not been a single such civil action.

Worry instead about the very real and documented danger of blowing up one's handgun, and possibly suffering injury, maiming, or death from flying shrapnel. A quick Internet search produces YouTube videos, photos and stories about blown up Glocks - and the fact that Glock does not support the cartridges fully, which can present a problem with certain loads.

Before you decide to try somebody's pet round, I respectfully suggest that you investigate what those police departments with GLOCKS use, or what knowledgeable armorers or truly knowledgeable gunsmiths suggest - if you are blessed with a gunsmith in your area who truly knows what he's doing.

Posters - how many of these favorite or "approved" rounds are being shot in Glocks? It seems to me that this is the first question that should be answered; at least from what I have been told about the handguns. I might add that I carried a Glock as a duty gun for a few years with a large State agency whose armorers went to a Glock school. Among other things they were advised (and they advised us) that handloads were not recommended by the manufacturer for this pistol. One can make the inference that certain "hot" factory rounds would therefore be equally dangerous to use with this firearm.
You are right-- we carry our duty round the Speer Gold Dot in our Glock Model 27, 23, and 22---NYPD carries the 9mm Gold Dot in their Glock's Model 26, 19, 17---I stand corrected... :)
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Someone other than me sees the light?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

+1 for the "carry what the local cops carry" meme.

If for no other reason than spare mags will be available in a bad spot...

Also, it's always better to carry a shorter Glock than the cops carry because a long stick will fit in a short gun, but a short stick won't fit in a tall gun...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Interesting about the glocks. I've read that the .40 case is "unsupported" but not that the 9mm case is. What about the 10mm, does it blow up too. Are the blow-ups with factory ammo? Is there any good documentation about this?

What does the glock owner manual say about pressure limits? Does it say something like "do not use +p or +p+ ammo in this gun"?

curious

Grizz
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

My Glock 17 is stuffed with Remington +P Golden Saber ammo. There is lots of good 9mm ammo out there these days. Not enough difference in any of it, to compensate for a bad hit. With a good hit, they will all do the same thing.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by two bit okie »

45 auto, it may not expand, but it never shrinks.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

My brother did have a Glock 40 S&W go boom.....he was shooting reloads from the supplier to a large PD (practice rounds only)....Glock replaced everything that broke.....his research indicates that the 9 MM has not been a problem with unsupported case failures....my son's Glock 19 groups the Remington HP very well....

rick
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Federal 9BPLE

I can usually find it for $.50 a round. It has a great reputation from when they were used by the border patrol.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Grizz,
Google up glock kaboom
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

When Glocks, S&W, Sig, Beretta, and H&K were approved, and Glocks later mandated, we issued Winchester's 127+P+ for the 9X19's. Then, when that round was difficult to find (using the procedure we have to use), we switched to Fed Tactical HST.

When we stopped authorizing 9mm as a primary gun for our Ofc's, I bought 124+P Gold Dots for my pistols that do well with it, and Winchester Ranger 147's for pistols that do best with that round.

FWIW.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Thanks for the input lads; because of your opinions and others I've sought I've decided to go with the Speer Gold Dot ammo. I'm going with the Glock because I went through a process of elimination involving about 8 pistols rented at Wade's Guns just outside Seattle. The Glock 19 just felt the best for me and my performance with it was the best of all. Closest competition for me was the Walther PPQ and the S&W M&P. Worst feel was the Beretta PX4 Storm. The only .45's I've ever shot were Kimber Ultra Carrys and I couldn't hit a barn from the inside with them. I shied away from the Glocks in .40 because of the Kaboom deal. I've got it in my mind to get a Glock 21 in .45 with an aftermarket 10mm barrel for woods walkin'. Bar-Sto, Storm Lake, and other aftermarket barrel makers advertise fully supported chambers.

Bob in Friday Harbor
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
kasTX
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kasTX »

Before you write a check for the Glock 19, do a search on "Gen 4 Glock 19 problems". They have had some problems with the Gen 4 19s but not with the Gen 3s. I'm not sure if they have resolved those problems yet. I believe you can still get either the Gen 3 or Gen 4 at this time.
CalvinMD
Levergunner 1.0

Post by CalvinMD »

I still have a couple cases of Winchester Black Talons for my Browning Hi Power and Beretta 92, ..thankfully never had to test them other than on targets :!:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Mescalero wrote:Grizz,
Google up glock kaboom
thanks... pretty exciting stuff.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

kasTX wrote:Before you write a check for the Glock 19, do a search on "Gen 4 Glock 19 problems". They have had some problems with the Gen 4 19s but not with the Gen 3s. I'm not sure if they have resolved those problems yet. I believe you can still get either the Gen 3 or Gen 4 at this time.
Glock Gen4 issues resolved...had more to do with springs and practice ammo... :)

Also, many LE Agencies use the .40S&W, in my humble opinion the .40S&W is a high pressure round to begin with. That's why you'll read ancient accounts of the KaBoom factor on the internet, check the dates of the posts, then compare what others have to say on newer posts--interesting reading and gun development (Glock perfection--maybe not--Glock up-grades--you bet).

It was the KaBoom factor that S&W took into account when they came out with their M&P auto. They intentionally developed it on the .40S&W platform first, beefed up the frame, the slide, and other critical parts and areas, then they brought out the 9mm and the ,45acp. When Glock first developed the 27, 23, & 22 in .40S&W they had issues with the extractor (I think)--they broke. I believe it was this issue that drove them to develop the Gen 3--could be wrong--hard to remember.

The .40S&W has a good street record, but it is somewhat snappy, that's why when older individuals or the casual shooter asks my opinion on what caliber to use to protect home and hearth I tend to recommend the .45acp or the 9mm (although I still appreciate a good .38 in a J-frame). It is for that reason that I put away a Glock Gen4 in 9mm with extra mags and a pile of Gold Dots to use when I become old and more cranky(ok slightly older, but still crankier)... :)
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I've got a Gen2 G23, and I have NEVER had any problems with any ammo that I've run through it! Still don't know what all the fuss is about these so-called un-supported chambers in Glock 40S&W guns. YMMV