Guns from the 60's,.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Guns from the 60's,.

Post by C. Cash »

I didn't come along until 68, but all in all, it seems a fine time to have been an average gun owner. Here is my latest project guns and one that I picked up recently. Replaced the stocks on this old Stevens from the 60's that had been a thorn in my side for a long time. Tried to get my blond hardwood stocks to take on color but never could so, finally wound up with these Walnut ones from Boyd's. After three days of sand and carving, finally fitted them where the action would work. Not a wonderful fit but I am still proud of myself for actually getting semi-close. Me and wood do not get along.
A Marlin 336 from about 1967, in 44 Mag.
A Ruger Flat Top 44 Mag. which is a nice companion. My all time favorite which belonged to my beloved Uncle. Alan Harton recently tightened it up to something like a bank vault and recut the forcing cone.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Guns from the 60's,.

Post by C. Cash »

Ha...don't know why but my photos are making the long guns look short and fat. Hmmmmm.....
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That Stevens looks good from here. :D

Love the flat top!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I like it.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You and wood get along just fine, Sir 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Oh, 1960's. To me it seems like the 1860's were big.

Sorry nice guns.
Derenius
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Derenius »

I have to agree, that wood looks great to me! Nice job Sir!
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good afternoon
Good job getting that Stevens looking like an American shotgun. Those birch stocks have to lay in a vat of walnut stain for days to really get the color to penetrate. Even adding some heat does little to make it better.
Well worth the time to make a firearm more to your taste.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Those Stevens doubleguns are the hardiest of all doubles. I've owned a mess of 'em over the years and they run and run. You can still pick up a like new one for under 3..

If you want to stain wood thats hard to stain, use leather dye.-----Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The 1960's had the best GUNS, the best CARS, and the best MUSIC...
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The 60's WERE good years - I finished my military service, got married, and had the first two kids - so my pistol was workin', too. ;)

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Quite a great vintage bunch! :D
1894c

Post by 1894c »

really like that Steven's, very nice, you did a great job on the stocks...i just bought an H&R in 12 gauge recently, had one when i was a kid, gave it to my brother when i went to college (he still has it)...always wanted another...i suspect there's blond wood under the color, but for now that's ok... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice job on the Stevens. I've got a Stevens 511 that I need to replace the wood on. I'll get around to it someday. Just like the LC Smith I have.
Old Law Dawg
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

The guns look great, you done good boy. Now tell me about that Case laying there and the spurs.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Moi Bien amigo
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Kim, I have two Stevens 311's and an LC Smith.
I think I will leave the LC alone.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

C. Cash wrote:Ha...don't know why but my photos are making the long guns look short and fat. Hmmmmm.....
Combination of parallax error (camera tilt) and spherical aberration (short focal length) - see how the pickets are narrower at the bottom than the top?

Very nice arms - thanks for the photos.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thank you for the kind comments fellas.......just don't zoom in too close! With one peeper.....trying to figure out the carving/sanding depth is pretty interesting, but as they say, where there's a will there's a way. Now I am encouraged to get the 94 Swede/Mannlicher project done. The Stevens are nice.....had one when I was young and had to re-buy it. They should have kept the sculpted receiver sides as is on this one.

Jerry, the Case belonged to my Uncle.....same one that owned the Flat Top. It is such an honor to have them both. The spurs I bought in a tack shop in Tulare, CA when I was 14. My career as a Cowboy never quite took off though! :lol: Actually, I never considered myself a good enough horseman to use them when I rode so I've just toted them around these many years. Just recently started back with working with horses so who knows....
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

C. Cash wrote:Ha...don't know why but my photos are making the long guns look short and fat. Hmmmmm.....

My photos (of me, i.e.) are making me loo short/fat, too - but I'm only short for my weight, and should really be 12' 10" tall. ;) . :mrgreen:

KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I have the same problem when I take a picture of the wife, must be something in the camera, huh.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

:lol: :lol: :lol: That explains a lot, for many of us!