158gr LSWCHP loads for .357mag with 2400 and Lilgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

158gr LSWCHP loads for .357mag with 2400 and Lilgun

Post by Scott64A »

Handloaders reloading data says 13.8gr of 2400 is the starting load but shows fps at 1290.

These are cold swaged, prelubed Magnus bullets I got in trade. Is 1290fps ok or will I get fouling?

Also, the loads for Lilgun started at 17.0 and had around 1500fps... Will this foul in my 6.5in Ruger BH?
Dirty Dan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Dirty Dan »

Do a search for a post by Junior. He listed safe speeds for lead boolits. I have it printed at home but not here at the office.
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. - John Steinbeck
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Since those Magnus bullets are swaged, you might pick up a Lewis Lead Remover before you shoot 'em.

If they are cast you "should" be OK.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Oooooh....

I don't very much like the sound of a "lead remover".

I guess I'll load them very light.
Plinking.
Though, sculberbt1 said he had no problems at al with them, and he got the best accuracy from them.

I'll be sure to check for signs of leading frequently, and if I have some jacketed bullets to shot, I'll be sure and use them first before going over to lead.

Thanks for the info!

Any load suggestions?
I'm going to try 11.5gr of 2400 to start, should be around 950fps.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I would be very, very suprised if you can push those swaged bullets much past 800 to 900 fps without serious lead problems. If the lead is soft enough to swage, it is to soft to push at anything near Magnum velocities. I know.. I know.. they have some miracle lube that renders void the basic laws of physics.

That being said, give it a try. 000 or 0000 steel wool wraped around a bronze bore brush and elbow grease will get rid of the lead. At tempting as it might be, never use a steel bore brush.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

Scott,
If these bullets are swaged (soft lead) and you you are loading these to use in a carbine, I would recommend 3.0 gr of Bulls-eye, but NO MORE than that! You will be pushing 1000 fps with that load and that is about the limit for swaged bullets, unless you REALLY like to use the afore-mentioned Lewis lead remover!

If you are loading for a handgun, I have found that 9.0 gr of #2400 used with a cast 158 SWC gives approximately 940 fps from my 4" barreled S&W Model 67 38 Spl. With a swaged bullet, I would try Unique or a similar burning rate powder first. 5.0 gr of Unique gives around 950 fps in my gun, but doesn't group as well as the 2400 load.

It's always best to start LOW (SLOW) and work up; you don't want to just jump in and end up with a lead-plated bore!

centershot
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
blueroan
Levergunner 1.0

LEADING

Post by blueroan »

Leading is kind of a fact of life with cast bullets. There are a million posts on forums for lead removal. I use KANO KROIL, an industrial penetrating oil, that we use in the power plant for stuck bolts. FOR BOLTS, ETC "If KROIL won't get it, it's time for a heating torch."

Go over to castboolits.gunloads site. They have some interesting posts on using CREAM OF WHEAT as a filler AND bore cleaner. There are a bunch of posts and some before-and-after pictures that are amazing! The guys over at castboolits, like here, have tons of information and opinions on a variety of problems and answers to them.

I've never tried CREAM OF WHEAT, but will soon. I'm shooting 44 full wadcutters in my Original Size VAQUEROS and got a casting run a little on the soft side. The COW would be a lot quicker and easier than brushing.

For Your Information
When they said SHARPS, I always thought BIG 50!
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I shoot Hornady & Speer soft lead bullets all the time around 1200FPS in my Rossi. Never noticed excess leading. Why should it lead any more than a 22 rimfire?
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Dumb casting/reloading newbie question: would gas checks help prevent the leading?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

Gas checks? Yes, they would help to prevent leading, but if your bullets do not have the recess on the base to allow seating them securely you won't be able to attach them. Load them within their limitations and go shootin'!

centershot
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
sculbert1
Levergunner

Post by sculbert1 »

I've been shooting that bullet for a long time with Unique. I load them up around 1000fps in 357 and 850fps in .38spl and have never had any trouble with excess leading. However, I would guess an extended shooting session with velocities in the 1200fps range would warrant some cleaning afterwards! I hope you do enjoy the bullets, they are by far the most accurate cast bullet I've shot in my Rossi and S&W revolvers.
Far away places only offer exotic ways to suffer.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Either way sculbert1, I will enjoy those bullets.

I'll try them over 11.5gr of 2400, and if that leads my barrel, then I'll have to drop it down to non-leading levels.

So the question now is, after shooting some 25 jacketed bullets, and then going over to the LSWCs, how will I know if I am getting leading?

Can I shoot ONE bullet and check?

Do I have to shoot the whole cylinder?

What does lead fouling LOOK like?

All these questions...

I will say this though: reloading for the .357mag has been some of the most fun I've ever had at the bench and at the range.

So many options, so many recipes, so little time!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

"Leading is kind of a fact of life with cast bullets"......Blueroan

Blueroan et al.... I am sorry but I can't let that statment pass without being challenged. I have been a bullet caster and almost fifty years and have not shot any of those dreadful little yellow thingies in almost 20 years. You might say I have gone to seed on cast bullets.

When a person experiences leading in a firearms that is a sign that:

1. The bullet temper is incorrect for the pressure of the load.
2. The bullet temper is incorrect for the pressure curve of the powder.
3. The bullet's fit to the throat and barrel is incorrect.
4. The bullet lube is not up to the job at hand.
5. The barrel is not smooth. Most times this can be cured.

Leading is not a fact of life with cast bullets, it is a sign you are not doing it right.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Scott,

You don't have to listen to many years of experience if you don't want to...

Charles is right on the money and that's purt near what Junior would tell you, too. Properly fit and cast bullets don't lead the barrel. Poorly fit and soft bullets can mess you up from the first shot. Oh, and clean ALL the jacketed bullet fouling before you start shooting lead. Yeah, they foul the barrel and it makes a difference. :wink:

Whatever you do, let us know what happens.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I cast a fair number of 358-156 HP bullets.

Some I cast from dead-soft from pure lead. Those I shoot at 500-800fps out of my Rossi.

Some I cast from 50/50 ww/pb. Those I Gas Check and push to around 1200-1400.

Some I cast with straight WW and water-quench and gas check. Those I push to over 2000fps.

I have no leading problems.

(some accuracy/powder issues at 2000 though...) :?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

centershot wrote:Gas checks? Yes, they would help to prevent leading, but if your bullets do not have the recess on the base to allow seating them securely you won't be able to attach them. Load them within their limitations and go shootin'!

centershot
OK, thanks! I wasn't aware these particular bullets weren't set up for checks.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at