new Hornady 348 bullet

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

new Hornady 348 bullet

Post by big bear »

Anybody load any of the new Hornady Leverrevolution bullets for their 71 yet? Where can you find load data?
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Re: new Hornady 348 bullet

Post by WinM71 »

Haven't seen any yet. It's a 200-grainer, but it appears to have considerably more bearing surface than their old familiar 200-grainer, so the load may be somewhat less.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

big bear wrote:Anybody load any of the new Hornady Leverrevolution bullets for their 71 yet? Where can you find load data?
It should show up here, eventually.

http://www.hornady.com/support/downloads/load-data

I've had good luck emailing the powder companies and getting data from them. Accurate has a lot more to offer than is in their book, for example.

What about taking existing 200gr data and backing off a bit, then working your way up?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

I have tried the flex tip 348 in my 71 and it shot well. Will post my data later today when I get back home. However, I have thoughts about the whole flex tip thing in lever guns. I mean, they have better ballistics and thus are better at long range, but the limiting factor with the guns are the sights, not the bullets so IMHO there is no practical difference between them. With a scoped rifle it may be different, but I just cant stand scopes on lever guns unless it is the savage 99 or winchester 88 or the ruger style levers, but all of those have clip type magazines. Also, I think the hornady 200 GN lead tip looks COOL and after experimenting with the flex tip will probably stick with the lead tip. Now....there are NO 200 Gn bullets for the 33 wcf, so I welcome the 338 flex tip hornady makes...will have to try that one out next. BTW I got loading data from hornady using the regular 200 GN JFP data.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I'm sticking with the Hornady 200 JFP in my M71. Call me "old school", or whatever else ya want to, but until the 200 JFP fails to serve it's purpose for me...I'll just use it.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Okay, found my data. This is still a work in progress. As a base, my best load using hornady 200 gn JFN is 49.5 grains of IMR 3031. According to Hornady I should get 2440 fps, with my chrono I get 2390 fps. Only shot 3 groups with this load, 3 shots each at 100 yards from a bench with the open sight: 2.1", 2.5" and 1.9" for an average so far of 2.2". After this I tested the new flex tip hornady using the same charge. Only have 2 groups: 2.2" and 1.8". Have tried other powders (WW760, IMR4320, IMR4064 and IMR 4895) but the IMR 3031 seems the most promising. I started with 47.0 GN of IMR 3031, you may wish to verify the data and start lower too. But the new bullets DO shoot and are another option for us 348 Winchester fans. Did not chronograph the flex tips yet, but I suspect similiar results to the JFNs.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Thanks for the "heads up." I better buy a couple more of the FP 200 grainers for Hornady before the new ones take their place. I don't see a lot of sense in some of these new rubber tipped bullets. I have nothing against them, just don't see that much need for them (I got bolt actions to shoot pointed bullets). But I do know this, most new bullets are not to supplement the bullet options, but to replace them. So, time to dig out the wallet and buy the old before I can't get them anymore. Shucks.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Have you heard the old version of the 348 bullet is being discontinued by Hornady?
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

big bear wrote:Have you heard the old version of the 348 bullet is being discontinued by Hornady?
Nope. I'm just being cautious. I know that some of their ammo has been replaced by ammo made with the new bullet (444 Marlin as an example) and I've seen new bullets take the place of older tried and true bullets in the past. So it's this history that will compell me to stock up a couple extra boxes of the good old stuff.

Not in the same caliber, but I sure wish I'd have stocked up on more Speer Hot-Cors and Nosler Solid Bases in the past. They were plenty good for deer and such and to some degree have been replaced by the newest thing - that just happens to do the same thing at a higher price.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

coyote nose wrote: Now....there are NO 200 Gn bullets for the 33 wcf, so I welcome the 338 flex tip hornady makes...will have to try that one out next.
Buffalo arms makes the hornady style 33wcf bullets now...
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx? ... 9&TERM=338

Wasn't sure if you'd heard about them yet :)
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Didn't know that....thank you.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Believe I'll stick with the old school 200 grain Hornady, thanks just the same.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.