Leverevolution and the 45 Colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Leverevolution and the 45 Colt

Post by hightime »

I can't see how that works. I got a box by accident. I did some measuring and the cases would have to be trimmed a lot. I thought I sure don't want to get into this, and took them back. Has anyone tried them?

Owen
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Leverevolution and the 45 Colt

Post by Killer Kanuck »

I bought a bunch of ammo from an estate sale recently (mostly 357) and picked up a box of 45 Leverevolution, mainly because they only wanted $10 for it. Haven't shot them yet (may just keep them as a novelty) but they sure look purty :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Owen,

Factory Leverevolution .45 Colt cases are already trimmed way short at the factory. If you want to reload them you'd have to reset your dies.
About all I think they are worth is trimming to .45 S&W length or using the LevEv bullets in.

As for the factory ammo I've tried one box so far. Shot some from my Marlin 1894 Cowboy, Uberti and OM Ruger BK.
I was not positively impressed. Accuracy was dismal from all three guns.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:Owen,

Factory Leverevolution .45 Colt cases are already trimmed way short at the factory. If you want to reload them you'd have to reset your dies.
About all I think they are worth is trimming to .45 S&W length or using the LevEv bullets in.
Yep.

Another use for them would be if you were reloading shot capsules (like the Speer ones).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Bought a bunch of new, primed, 45 colt Hornady cases. Didn't think about it till I got home and measured them. Quite a bit shorter than the WW's I had.

No wonder I got a deal on them.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I have a box of once fired (20) Hornady 45 colt leverlution brass. Ifu want it i'lll send it to you. Dont trim yer other good brass just for that. Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Naw, I don't even like the looks of them.

Owen
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Are you speaking of the Hornady FTX soft tip bullets? Are they called Leverrevolution now?

I loaded some in .357, and the load notes did specify trimming the case a bit. I bought a box of factory and measured one of those and copied that.

It took a bit of fiddling in the press to get the depth correct.I ended up using the Semi Wadcutter adapter to set the depth and crimp.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Yeah, I guess I called them wrong. The ones with the red tip.

Owen
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

A pointed 45 Colt bullet? What for? Does Hornady think handguns kill like rifles? Two different principles apply, one considering high velocity, the other considering penetration at substantially lower velocity. Sort of .58 caliber (1,000 fps) roundball verses 270 Winchester Jacketed Soft Point (3,000 fps) - they kill differently. I have no problem with new stuff and new engineering, but it has to make some sense, and a fat pointed bullet at 1,000 fps doesn't make that much sense. On the other hand and 45 caliber bullet with as much flat nose as possible while still retaining stability makes good sense. It seems something is backwards here. :?
Oh well, smoke 'em if you got 'em.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Idiot wrote:A pointed 45 Colt bullet? What for? Does Hornady think handguns kill like rifles? Two different principles apply, one considering high velocity, the other considering penetration at substantially lower velocity. Sort of .58 caliber (1,000 fps) roundball verses 270 Winchester Jacketed Soft Point (3,000 fps) - they kill differently. I have no problem with new stuff and new engineering, but it has to make some sense, and a fat pointed bullet at 1,000 fps doesn't make that much sense. On the other hand and 45 caliber bullet with as much flat nose as possible while still retaining stability makes good sense. It seems something is backwards here. :?
No, its to help guide the round into the tube in a leverguns, while still being safe for the magazine. It only gives slightly better BC at the handgun calibers, but its a bit better as a hunting round and still magazine safe in the hunting calibers.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

FatJackDurham wrote:
Idiot wrote:A pointed 45 Colt bullet? What for? Does Hornady think handguns kill like rifles? Two different principles apply, one considering high velocity, the other considering penetration at substantially lower velocity. Sort of .58 caliber (1,000 fps) roundball verses 270 Winchester Jacketed Soft Point (3,000 fps) - they kill differently. I have no problem with new stuff and new engineering, but it has to make some sense, and a fat pointed bullet at 1,000 fps doesn't make that much sense. On the other hand and 45 caliber bullet with as much flat nose as possible while still retaining stability makes good sense. It seems something is backwards here. :?
No, its to help guide the round into the tube in a leverguns, while still being safe for the magazine. It only gives slightly better BC at the handgun calibers, but its a bit better as a hunting round and still magazine safe in the hunting calibers.
Oh, I see. I better get some.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

FatJackDurham wrote:Are you speaking of the Hornady FTX soft tip bullets? Are they called Leverrevolution now?

I loaded some in .357, and the load notes did specify trimming the case a bit. I bought a box of factory and measured one of those and copied that.

It took a bit of fiddling in the press to get the depth correct.I ended up using the Semi Wadcutter adapter to set the depth and crimp.
Leverevolution is the loaded ammo.
FTX is the bullet.

I've only tried them in .458 and got good results. Everything I shot them with died. :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle