Krag loading info wanted

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Krag loading info wanted

Post by dkmlever »

This one has a small lever.....Ruger #1 - one of the special runs by Lipsey for Cabelas, nicer wood and high blue polish.
Anyway, looking for 220 grain round nose loads, not hot ones just accurate, also 200 grains. Mostly target shooting but will use it for cow elk.
So what do you load up for you Krag? Any ideas are appriciated.
Last edited by dkmlever on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Krag loading info wanted

Post by Sixgun »

I was shooting one of my 95's in that caliber the other day. My all time load is 23 grains of 5744 with the 215 gr. Lyman 311284 g.c.r.n. It travels 1700 and will hit anything I want out to 500 meters. It can be pushed a little faster with slower burning powders but I would not hesitate to use my load on elk.---------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

BOTH IMR4350 AND H4350 ARE A MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN WITH 220gr BULLETS IN THE 30USA KRAG GIVING 2000fps EASILY WITH PRESSURES COMENSERATE WITH THE CAPABILITIES OF THE 1892-1898 U.S. KRAG-JORGENSEN ACTION.
NOW......IF YOU JUST HAVE TO HOTROD THIS CARTRIDGE BECAUSE YOU HAVE IN A " MODERN ' ACTION BE AWARE OF THE FACT THE 30/40KRAG CARTRIDGE CASE AND THE 308WIN CARTRIDGE CASE HAVE ALMOST IDENTICAL CAPACITIES AND CAN USE THE SAME DATA GIVING THE SAME BALLISTIC OUTPUT WITH THE LIGHTER WEIGHT 150-200gr BULLETS.
AND NO, I DO NOT KNOW WHY YOU WOULD WISH TO DO THE LATTER !!!
AND SO IT GOES...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

When I had my Custom barreled Ruger #3 carbine 30-40 Krag in the mid to late 1980's I used the following loading for Deer & Elk.

This load is for a Ruger #1 or #3 only, do not use in original Springfield Krags.
Nosler 180 gr. BTS or Nosler 180 gr. Partition for Elk.
WW cases
Remington 9 1/2 primer
52.2 gr. of IMR 4350
Cartridge OAL 3.30"
My loading notation comment I made on the library card reads, "Maximum load!---- Excellent!"

For a target load I used the following; This is a Springfield Krag load.
All the same as above, except for the powder charge.
46.0 gr. of IMR 4350
My loading notation comment for this load; "1/2" groups at 100 yards"

You do not need a 220 gr bullet in the Krag. My harvest of ELK, both Bulls & Cows here in Arizona & Oregon were one shot kills with the Nosler partition 180 gr. bullet.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Thanks for the ideas!

Sixgun, I have not used or thought about cast bullets before, might have to look into getting some of those to try.
Terry, I have no desire to HOTROD this rifle or caliber, heck isn't that one of the reasons we own a couple of different rifles/calibes? If I want to go hot, I just pull out the 300 Weatherby.
Lefty Dude, thanks, will try that last load. I did own a #3 in Krag, but it was unfired in the box and I figured it was better trade material than a shooter. I just had to have one of these #1's when they came out.