Scope mounting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Scope mounting

Post by Rusty »

Getting ready to mount a scope on a rifle here and Jr. and got in a discussion about thread locker. He said the last time he mounted one with Leupold mounts they said not to use thread locker. Using Leupold mounts again and actually reading the instructions I read them this time and they even said to use a light coat of oil on the screws. Am I missing something here? This never used to be? I'm perplexed... I guess I'll follow the instructions, but when did this change?

We also seem to have a problem getting the screws to run down into the holes with only finger pressure.

I'm wondering if this is some kind of a crush fit threading? I think I heard S&W started doing that years ago when threading their barrels into their frames.

BTW the rifle is a Savage M10
Last edited by Rusty on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Scop mounting

Post by Mescalero »

What caliber?
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

You can get screws a lot tighter with torx screws and too many folks would use thread lock and then couldn't get the screws out again. I have never used loc tight but prefer just a light coat of fingernail polish and have never had a base come loose and have never had a stuck screw.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It's a .223 w/ a 22" barrel.

I've started using fingernail polish too in years past, but the screws won't go in very far with just finger pressure.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Use a good hollow ground srewdriver that fits and tighten them down , you will not need anything on the threads.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

No chance to use a hollow ground driver unless I replace the screws. Leupold supplies torx head screws and a wrench.

The main issue is that the screws aren't going in very far before they snug up. That's with all screws in all holes, swapping the screws doesn't seem to mater either. No base on top just running the screws in and they go snug when they're no where close to being bottomed out. Nothing is cross threaded. It feels like there's paint on the threads?

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Should have caught that in your first post :?
Just put it together and shoot it,
bet it will hold, you are not generating a lot of recoil force there.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rusty wrote:No chance to use a hollow ground driver unless I replace the screws. Leupold supplies torx head screws and a wrench.

The main issue is that the screws aren't going in very far before they snug up. That's with all screws in all holes, swapping the screws doesn't seem to mater either. No base on top just running the screws in and they go snug when they're no where close to being bottomed out. Nothing is cross threaded. It feels like there's paint on the threads?
Rusty,
Are you sure the screws are the correct thread pitch for the rifle? I'm just asking because it sounds like what happens when you try to run a slightly different pitch thread into a hole.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

If you have or can borrow a torque driver, use it. Per Wheeler Engineering, torque should be 10-15 in/lb for aluminum rings, 15-20 for steel. I use mid-range values for both, no loctite and have never had a problem with screws working loose (.22 LR and .223).
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Make sure you don't have the base screws mixed up with the ring screws. I've never had any brand of ring or base screws that would not run in the threaded holes by hand.
Harry
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

When shining a flashlight into the action on the non-blind holes it appears as if at least one of the holes is a little "jagged" at the bottom. Its hard to explain but at the very bottom of on of the holes it looks like there is a small jagged "shelf", like it wasn't cut clean on the bottom of the threading process. I can't see anything else on any other holes but if that is in fact a bad "cut" on that hole I'm wondering if that isn't an indicator that the threads just might be a little rough.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Scope mounting

Post by Rusty »

I guess I'll try calling customer service at both Leupold and Savage tomorrow to see what they might have to say.

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Fingernail polish or blue Loctite both work well and you can remove the screws easily. Avoid red Loctite on anything that you don't want to permanently set.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am not going to go here again.
I am not going to do it.
No!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I would not loc tite them. Lately every time I try to take a scope off someones gun it is on there for keeps with loc tite. Those little screws can't take a lot of umph. Sometimes all the tricks to defeat the loc tite won't work.

Just tighten them down evenly and tight. Then shoot the gun. Check them every once in a while. It is a good idea to check all your screws on a gun/scope at the first of every season.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It's OK Mescalero, actually the real issue I was having as I found out with a close examination is garbage in the threads. I found one of our shops in town that has taps. I'm going to head over after work tomorrow and clean up the threads.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Good move,Rusty.