Abin' airgunnin'!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Abin' airgunnin'!

Post by Nath »

Take a look at this dog!
And again.

She just loves squirrel hunting, all I have to do is get a shot on it when she has found me one :) Best dog I ever owned!

Bought one of these the other day.

A Crosman Phantom. I thought it was an American made gun 'till I got it home and noticed it say's made in China on it!
Any way, lessened the travel on the trigger, stoned the sears, polished the piston and cylinder, added some weight to the piston thus increasing the preload on the spring and lapped the bore. It shoots pretty good downing many a small varmint.

So there you have it :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Abin' airgunnin'!

Post by Pitchy »

You seem like a happy content man Nath. :mrgreen:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Pitchy wrote:You seem like a happy content man Nath. :mrgreen:
Hangin' around in Gods creation, Yep, I am :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nath,
Does that have to go on your firearms list with the police?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Rusty wrote:Nath,
Does that have to go on your firearms list with the police?
No Rusty, as long as it is not producing more than 12ft/lbs. Above 12 it becomes what is commonly refered to "fac air" (firearms certificate air).

It is fun having to get close with these things.

The rabbit did a 40yd dash and keeled over, just like a regular mini deer hunt :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath, Tia looks in mighty fine condition, she may be the best dog you've ever had but she has the best owner too! :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice. She is a beautiful dog. Both of mine are gun shy though the beagle loves when I go air gunnin. Well done sir!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Great pictures as always Nath. She is a fine dog indeed. I didn't know an air rifle could be tuned like that.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have been inside a lot of guns in my time..........................
but airguns scare me.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looking good Nath! 8)
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

The gun in your first pic is a BSA Lightning, correct?
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

pneuby wrote:The gun in your first pic is a BSA Lightning, correct?
Tis that pneaby 8) I got it as a freind has one and while messin' with his I noticed how well the stock fitted me! So I broke down and got one.
Mescalero wrote:I have been inside a lot of guns in my time..........................
but airguns scare me.
No need to get scared M. They simple really.
JerryB wrote:Great pictures as always Nath. She is a fine dog indeed. I didn't know an air rifle could be tuned like that.
Just like any other machinery J, usually can be improved over stock :)

The little Crosman is to stay on it's opens (not just to please our brilliant friend Joe Miller :D )because it is just plain good to honest fun and challenging. Besides it will help to keep in touch with a much needed skill, shooting without glass!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

Nath wrote:Take a look at this dog!
And again.

She just loves squirrel hunting, all I have to do is get a shot on it when she has found me one :) Best dog I ever owned!

Bought one of these the other day.

A Crosman Phantom. I thought it was an American made gun 'till I got it home and noticed it say's made in China on it!
Any way, lessened the travel on the trigger, stoned the sears, polished the piston and cylinder, added some weight to the piston thus increasing the preload on the spring and lapped the bore. It shoots pretty good downing many a small varmint.

So there you have it :D

Nath.

Nath,

Great pics, beautiful dog, good shooting!

Now, if you'd see fit to write a tutorial on how to do the work in the above bolded text... ;-)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Oh heck :?

The trigger is awful and I don't care for the safety, it has to be pulled on to and towards the trigger to make safe!

Any way, there is an antibear device preventing a user from de-cocking it, this locks the triggers travel once the barrel is broken. I ditched that mechanism so I can de-cock it. That leaves a small stub that comes off the trigger and pokes through the trigger housing. I tacked with a welder a small piece of steel in the correct location to limit the triggers travel forward and still allow the safety to function, this loses miles of first stage. Next the sears have lots of engagment with loads of weight and creep, the adjusting screw is deliberately too short and by replacing with a longer M3 screw some engagment can be lost.
Next up is with fine stones polishing the sears with a slight angle change finnished with some 1000 wet and dry wrapped around a small stone to polish the surfaces. Now we have a good base, short two stage trigger to fully adjust with untill safe and dependable without weakening springs etc.

Removal of the main spring reveals next to no preload of the piston, I don't like this in any airgun(springers). It makes the cushion of air overcome the spring and make it vibrate.
After removal the piston skirt is polished by hand with wet and dry. Any method to remove high spots and lessen friction is ok just as long as it ends up shiny. For the cylinder I make a mop for the hand drill with some wet and dry wrapping, like a honing tool and motioning the revolving drill in and out untill reasonably shiny. If the main spring will let me as in this example I add a distance/weight piece to the inside of the piston that the spring sits on thus adding some preload. Generally this stops the "boinng" and makes for a "thud" to the action. On this Crosman it was still easy to reassemble with just hand pressure!

I use a heavy weight gear oil to lube the piston, it will diesel very slight. Many don't like this as it can make for bad consistancy but most don't use heavy gear oil :wink: It don't like exploding and I find very consistant! I smear grease on the spring, it dampens it.

I polish the crown on these cheap made guns and lap the barrel a little with some grinding paste on a patch and rod.

Was it worth it? Yes, I now have a sweet gun over the stock item. It does well with most pellets including cheap ones. I took another rabbit after the one in the photo at 30yds +, I could only see his head and neck!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

Thanks for the tips, Nath - looks like some good project ideas in there!