New Leveraction 22

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DBCinID
Levergunner

New Leveraction 22

Post by DBCinID »

Lever fever strikes again. I am looking for a .22 lever action rifle. I don't need a new one, just one that looks and shoots good. I have looked at the Browning BL 22, Henry, Winchester 9422 and the New Marlin 39. I like the price and function of the Henry, but the painted receiver doesn't trip my trigger, so to speak. The Winchester's are great, but have too much collector value for me to buy just for a shooter. The new Marlin felt like a 4 X 4 post in my hands, although I like the take down feature. That leaves me with Browning. After looking around it looks like I can get one a decent price, $450 + depending on grade. I came across a grade II for $479, but haven't actually been able to handle it yet, although it was described to me as 95% to 97%. Does that seem like a fair price? Are there any other suggestions for good reasonably priced lever action .22s.

Thanks,

Don
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Leveraction 22

Post by COSteve »

The Browning BL22s are considered the Cadillac of 22lr leverguns. If the Grade II is really in that good of shape then the price seems fair.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

If Marlin or Henry don't work for you - you're pretty much left with a Browning or Winchester.

A good used Winchester 9422 makes as good a candidate as a shooter as a Browning, since it's used it really has no collector value.

It's not like you're going to lose any money in the deal if you decide to sell either, unless you just abuse it.

So if your budget is $450 and you see a Browning or Winchester, I say pick one up.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

If I didn't have my old Winchester 9422 I'd buy a Henry tomorrow, I used to have the Erma leveraction, forerunner to the Henry and it was accurate, reliable and well made.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Last week, a BL-22 sold on gun broker with a V22A weaver scope for $251. Keep your eyes open, and every once in a while, a deal comes through.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =280816400
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

meanc wrote:If Marlin or Henry don't work for you - you're pretty much left with a Browning or Winchester.
OR A RUGER.....!!!!!!!

:wink:

The Ruger 96's aren't "traditional", but they look no different than some of the Marlin and Winchester models of the 1950's.

If I didn't have my Ruger, I'd probably go for a Henry, aluminum receiver and all. With a .22 LR, I'm more interested in function than form.

The thing I like about the Rugers is that if you glass-bed them, you can scope them, and get accuracy on par with bolt actions of similar weight and cost. The short lever-throw makes them fast, and they are as handy as the ubiquitous 10/22's are - here compared to a much larger Ruger 77/22...

Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I have a Henry and really like it, but if that don't trip yur trigger than let me tell you about a buddies BL22. That is one fine rifle. Very short stroke and pretty dang smooth too. If you get that you'll never be disappointed.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

pokey wrote:how about one of these?

http://www.taurususa.com/product-detail ... gory=Rifle

Now THAT could be a practical woods-walking gun... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I thought they stopped making those Taurus 62LAR 5 years ago. I bought mine about 6 years ago, and I'm totally happy with it.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

If I where to buy a lever in .22lr today and I could choose which model I wanted no holds barreled... Then I'd choose a... Marlin! 1897 Cowboy with a skinner peep. Thats my new gold standard for a .22 lever, even though I still love my early 70s 9422...
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

My vote is for the BL-22. Is the Taurus available again? Or is that an old link? The Taurus 62LAR is adapted from the Winchester Model 62/62A design, I would like to have one of those if they are available again.

Edited to note that I checked their web catalog and cannot find a match for the 62LAR
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

There's also the Henry-like .22 Mossberg 464

FWIW, The Browning BL-22's are different than standard leverguns, in both the way they feel AND operate.

Their trigger travels with the lever, and the leverstroke isn't as long as you may be used to.

Also, the Brownings are very petite, compared to the other leverguns, with the skinny mag tube spaced away from the bbl, ILO tight against it.
Although YMMV, I find them too light for a steady hold - but they're pretty enough, with about the best fit/finish.

IMHO, the best BL-22 to shoot would be the Grade II w/octagon bbl - which steadies it down a lot, for aiming.

FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

I tried a Marlin at the range the other day that some one had brought and it was very nice. That Taurus sure looked sweet.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

if you settle on the browning, make sure you try cycling one first. the lever throw is so short that, to me anyway, it doesn't feel "lever-gunish" enough.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Lever-wise, I've had three 39s (two mountie, and a 39A) and a 9422M and a 9422. The triggers on the Wrenchesters are rough but have the superior action. Marlins have a little smoother trigger, are a bit more accurate, but I find they jam if not held level. I guess I'd keep my two Winchesters over the Marlins....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

my daughter's Henry has one of the best triggers I've ever pulled on any rifle, and they have a well-deserved reputation for accuracy.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Thanks for the good information. I'm stalking a BL -22 right now and hope to get it for a couple hundred bones. :D
sullkat

Post by sullkat »

I just bought a Henry g/B from Academy a little pricy but much better than the blue version, has the oct barrel and seems to be decent on accuracy.
Could not get a BL22 or 39a plus anything I have shipped here adds $100 to the cost.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

i have owned marlin's in bolt, auto, and lever 39a- winchester 94/22 - cz-452's - ruger 10/22's - rossi pump - browning sa-22 - and i finally bought a Browning BL-22 (Grade-I) and it is my favorite...i would recommend it, it's not for everyone, but for me it's almost perfect... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.