ever have a 'DUH!' moment?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

I had watched a Marlin on an auction for nearly 5 days. It was calling me...
I looked at it many, many times, read the model number of 36G and still kept looking at it, Was this different than the 36A-DL... Yea it was... but it didn't register in the brain how it was different...
Looked even more. The barrel stamping read 'Marlin 36G ---------- 30-30 Cal '
... It even said, 'NEW HAVEN, CONN, USA'. No words like 'microgroove'.
I was trying to figure out when that gun was made, was it before the 336? was this back in the 30's or 40's? What was it... It didn't say Glenfield where the Marlin name was...
Time counted down and I put a bid on it and got it.
About 20 minutes after the fact, I had to look at it once more in the pics, and seen for the first time the little words 'glenfield products' AAARGH.... I felt there was something I was missing and ...Now after I got it I figure it out....AAARGH
That doesn't happen to anyone of you, does it? I think that this phenomenon happens just to me from time to time.... and always to the lesser value, not the greater... :x
Hope this gives a good laugh to somebody today, can't let the misery factor get the best of this event... :lol: SnR
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: ever have a 'DUH!' moment?

Post by Blaine »

I'd say you got a nice rifle, Sir....not much "duh" that I see. :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:I'd say you got a nice rifle, Sir....not much "duh" that I see. :wink:
Same here.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

BlaineG wrote:I'd say you got a nice rifle, Sir....not much "duh" that I see. :wink:
Well, we don't know what he paid! :D
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Your first lesson in the "School of Hard Knocks". I have a masters degree in it.

Like the other boys have said, it's still a great shootin' rifle. :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

41 Redhawk wrote:
I see what you mean, but I wouldn't value a Glenfield lower.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BlaineG wrote:
41 Redhawk wrote:
I see what you mean, but I wouldn't value a Glenfield lower.
Certainly not as a shooter...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

You came up no matter how I look at it.Enjoy it!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Used to be, a Glenfield could be had for a good deal less than a Marlin. Not so true anymore, since people began to realize they were Marlins through and through, and the 36G is a nice rifle.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

More than I will ever admit to or count.

As for Glenfields I had one years ago, a model 60. It was an older one with the pot metal feed throat. Jammed constantly until someone told me about the updated parts Marlin had available. I bought the parts, updated my rifle and shot it more than a lot. I really liked it.

It was stolen and I've never replaced it. I think I should.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

Hah! I didn't think I was alone in having them 'Duh" moments.... :lol:
Redhawk is close, "Well, we don't know what he paid!"... I can tell you this, if that gun hadn't cast her spell on me so I couldn't read 'glenfield' on it, I wouldn't have paid as much. :lol: :lol:
She isn't cherry nor perfect, so going to do a little rub down, wipe the bore and see how she shoots.
I know this won't be the last time that will happen to me, just wish it didn't happen so often...
Can I tell you about bobcat wheels that weren't enough offset where I measured twice and thought they would fit??? Origional rims 1/2" from outside edge, auction rims 1 3/4" just an inch and a fourth difference ... they did fit on the back but not on the front... :evil: Then orderd new rims.. Rim dealer sent 4 3/4" offset - 8 bolt... AAARGH!! Couldn't they figure out 8 hole rims won't fit 6 bolt hubs? :o :evil: Typical :| :lol: :lol:
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

I know you guys love pictures so here are a few of the Marlin Glenfield 36G And of a Revelation 200
They are not much more than rust buckets... with nice and bright micro groove barrels and neither says micro groove on them.

more pics of these two guns are located on GB
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =280995742 and
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =283092831
Now gotta get them out and see how they shoot. SnR
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If those were mine, I'd refinish the stocks, just out of respect to them being good shooters, and leave it at that.

I don't buy guns because of the name stamped on the barrel/receiver - I buy them because they are well-made and serve some real or imagined 'need' I have for that particular firearm.

Think of it THIS WAY - say you came across a really nice Marlin, good bore and 'shootable' condition, and it was a bit pricey for what you wanted to spend. Then you talk the guy down significantly in price, because of a cosmetic blemish...think of the word 'Glenfield' as just a 'cosmetic blemish'. . . :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

A "duh moment" happened to me in choosing my first wife. I think that no matter what you paid you got off cheap! :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Hobie wrote:
A "duh moment" happened to me in choosing my first wife.
Hobie...you made my day...by the way, i for one always like the glenfield name...it was a working man's label... :)
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

"A "duh moment" happened to me in choosing my first wife. I think that no matter what you paid you got off cheap! :wink: "
Women... Hobie, Sorry to hear of that DUH moment of yours...
Your right about getting off cheap in comparison... and in this case, I can spend some time with them and still having fun... :lol:
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

336BL, I'm with ya... Hobie, thanks, for a good laugh and a smile. I think if we all reminded ourselves what some of our more colossal mistakes ("Duh moments) have cost us in the past, these smaller ones, especially when they involve firearms, pale into insignificance. Thanks again. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yep,
My one and only cost me emotionally,
but gratefully not monatarily.
Somehow I think I would have been better served if it had been monatary.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Makes me kinda sad that someone would feel let down about getting a used but working Glenfield added to their collection.

Looks like a good old gun that needs a caring friend.

:(
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.