Bore specs 1892 Rossi 45 Colt.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Bore specs 1892 Rossi 45 Colt.

Post by Old Savage »

Measuring as best I can the groove diameter at the muzzle I get .454/.455. This rifle shoots large groups in the 10" range at 50 yds with .451/.452 bullets but that comes down to about 1 7/8" - 2" with .453/.454 bullets. Anyone else had any experience with this rifle and its dimensions? Looking at bullets in the .455/.456" dimensions from Montana Bullets.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Bore specs 1892 Rossi 45 Colt.

Post by Doc.Holliday »

Good Morning;
How new is your Rossi 92? Mine is about 2 years old ( with the new safety on top) and I am using Dardas Cast Bullets at .454.
I was advised at that time that even if the bore slugged at .452 I would achieve better accuracy if I used bullets that were 1 or 2 thousands overbore. So I did with good results using Red Dot and 250 gr bullets for plinking loads and I am trying to develop a mid load with Power Pistol and the same bullet.
Doc.
“Doc was a dentist whom necessity had made a gambler; a philosopher whom life had made a caustic wit; a long, lean, ash-blond fellow nearly dead from consumption, at the same time the most skilful gambler and the nerviest, speediest, deadliest man with a six-gun I ever knew.”
Wyatt Earp: San Francisco Examiner-August 2,1896

rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Ours are less than 2 yr old, and Ive not slugged the bores but they both shoot 250 and 300 gr XTPs well at 100 yd. My experience with lead is fair accuracy but more leading than I like. Ill have to slug them and work up some more lead loads. My 255gr mold drops at 0.452. I want to lap it for an extra 0.001, this may force me to do that.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Doc mine is a couple of years old and and has the safety. .454s and 360 gr .453s shoot much better, in the two inch range at 59 yds. Better than anything smaller but I have only shot lead so far.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

They run from 452 up to 455 and it's luck of the draw. I use an old Ideal mould that drops a 456 bullet and it works just fine.
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

When I first bought mine I shot about 50 rounds thru it with the 250 grain XTPs. Accuracy was good as my old eyes and a 16 inch lever gun can hope for; less than 2 inches at 100yds. The XTP is .452 and is inherently accurate. But with lead a little over bore seems best.
I scrubbed the copper out of this gun after the XTPs and have shot lead only ever since.
I have a Rossi Ranch Hand which I bought last year in 45 colt and it likes the same .454 bullets.

Doc
“Doc was a dentist whom necessity had made a gambler; a philosopher whom life had made a caustic wit; a long, lean, ash-blond fellow nearly dead from consumption, at the same time the most skilful gambler and the nerviest, speediest, deadliest man with a six-gun I ever knew.”
Wyatt Earp: San Francisco Examiner-August 2,1896

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mine doesn't have the safety and I've never slugged it. Just used .451" jacketed or .452" cast in it with perfect satisfaction.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Possibly Nate KJ can install a safety so that you have all the options. :D :D :D Would rather that mine shot Standards but I am going to try to get some .455" from Montana Bullets. Might also try some 300 XTPs.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I can run either the 300 gr. XTPs or the Sierra JFP or the 300 gr. cast over the same powder charge.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
hammerman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hammerman »

Hobie wrote:Mine doesn't have the safety and I've never slugged it. Just used .451" jacketed or .452" cast in it with perfect satisfaction.
Same here.
Only Winchester levers, one custom 356 top eject bigbore
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is an example with 451/452 bullets at 100 yds.

Scrateshooter
Levergunner

Post by Scrateshooter »

Someone page JerryB (Grandpa), he loads for the same rifle with good results.
"Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand." Revelation 1:3
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OS,
Funny that you should ask. My buddy Gunny was shooting his the other day for the first time with cast. He called me the night before asking what diameter bullet to use. (hey, this guy is used to shooting M-16's, M-60's etc :lol: ).

I told him to use .454's--sight unseen and barrel unmeasured. I don't know the powder he used but by looking at the 100 meter berm with him shooting, they were about 11-1200. It was a tackdriver.--------Sixgun

Hey!, While I have you here, can you send me a few of your many indentations? :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I will send you the new ones :D on the way. I am going to try the bigger ones .455" Thanks for the info on your buddy. 454 was about 2" at 50 yds. but the rifle is as well made as my B92 and tighter.