Harley Davidson--which one?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Harley Davidson--which one?

Post by getitdone1 »

Entering my 2nd childhood and considering buying a Harley Davidson motorcycle. Think'in Sportster but not absolutely sure. Appears one of these can be had for around 7000 and without too many miles on it--maybe 5000 miles. One's a 1200cc and I think this is the biggest engine for this model. What's the size of the smaller engine?

What other models, other than the big, heavy ones should I consider? Not going on long trips and think the Sportster would be more pleasant to handle.

I may not go through with this but was just looking at some on the internet and know they'ed be fun to ride. I heard sometimes after the first ride--YOUR HOOKED!

Don
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Harley Davidson--which one?

Post by pokey »

sportster 888 or hugger 883. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Fat Boy....
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

Anything Japanese, unless you are good at roadside breakdown repairs. :lol:
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I Heard Sporsters RRRR for Gurls. jest what I heard.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Softail.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have an 08 Ultra Classic, but if I were to get a small one, a 1200 Sporty of some sort would be fine. Having said that, you might find a Rice Burner more reliable :oops: I just had to have a Harley before I got too old to enjoy it. That Ultra Classic will burn up the road at 90 all day and never miss a beat.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I had a 883 that i punched out to 1200 with some go-fast parts. It was a fun bike --- i gotta admit, the way i built up the engine made it kind of the equivalent to my old hot rod pickup truck -- fun for short hops but kind of useless for general riding around (fun though )---
I'm 5'9 and had the Sportster Custom -- this has forward pegs --- i almost feel forward pegs is mandatory for the Sporty if you are over 5'6 or 7 . It is not a large bike, but i have to say, mine rode with some attitude, even when i first picked it up and it was an 883-- it was fun from day one !

The 883 , power wise, was fine for me for the type of riding i was doing , but i kind of "out-rode" it and blew out the head gasket on the rear cylinder, prompting me to upgrade it.
My wife is not a large woman, but she would not ride on it for longer than a few miles --- she much prefers to hit the scene in my old pickup--
based on my experience, i would say the Sportster is a pretty good "bar hopper" or a single person commuter, as they get excellent gas mileage - trips longer than 50 miles, i would prefer a Road King

----- Doug
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

superglide
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

For years I rode an old iron head sportster, '76 I think. Pulled a trailer all over the U. S. while packing my old lady. We had a blast! It did have a big tank and seat added to it though. Big tank, 3.5 gals., is handy when gas stations are few and far between. Only problems I had were loosening the rivets in the back sprocket and holed a piston from showing 'em I could lead the pack while pulling that trailer with two big ice chests of beer in it.

I have another Sportster now that I am building. Will post pics when done.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Sportster nuff said....will out handle the other slugs and make you grin from ear to ear. Well at least mine does.

My Iron 883:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

First Harley I had was a sporster, an XLX made in 84. It had a 1000cc engine. Left it stock as I had no money to work on it. Was very fun. I think sportsters have always drawn my attention.

I had a 94 that u did some engine work on. Didn't replace the cam bearing and wound up eating an engine. Factory replaced engine as dealer messed up on that one. It was a low rider custom and I really came to appreciate the rubber isolated engine and the smoothness of the ride.

Current is a 2007 street bob, customized. Not a day of trouble with this one. In had stage 4 work done on it and changed much of the bike. I appreciate the heavier bikes on longer rides.

Sporty definitely can be used for the long road but I think seem best suited for "bar hopping" type riding. Getting around town in style Again, not saying they wontngo long, but there are advantages to weight size and other features that sportys don't offer. With that said, my next one may just be a sporty. :lol:

Good luck withyour choice. Be sure to ride before you buy. You will discover quickly how they each feel on the road.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

ya need to go to one of the bike weeks ....
I hear most of the dealers will rent them
and you can pick the one that fits you best!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

At this time i`d say big twin but nothing wrong with a sporty, rode one for years(72) and loved it.
A sporty with a small sidecar are sharp and great for a grocery getter.
What ever ya get, ride to live, live to ride. :wink: :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A street-legal XR of any flavor - XR-750, XR-1000, XR-1200x, whatever. Jes keep the rubber side "down". . :mrgreen:

But, of course, there's always Honda's Sabre Cruiser & Fury Chopper

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

08 Ultra Classic

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Only Harley I ever owned was a parts bike that I built. For almost nothing.

I'm a sporster fan.

A great question to ask the "girl's bike" crowd is this: what's the rear axle load rating on their favorite flavor?

The highest rating with one minor exception is the sporster.

The biggest knock that I've read about, and don't know if it is truly a fact, is that riding offroad with the belt drive is expensive in the replacement drive line components sense. Is this true? Does this mean they aren't good for the Baja 1000?

That and they don't carry enough gas to get out of town.

Love the way they feel on the street.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Thanks for the responses and the pictures.

One of you said your Harley had you "grin'in from ear to ear." Hey, I wanna do that too!

BlaineG's Ultra Classic: Boy now, that's a Harley! Pricey I'll bet.

Someone mentioned the Sportster having small gas tank. How many miles before need to stop for gas?

I was at the Harley site and yes they do offer free rides/tryouts. Before that I think I'd go to their riding classes. Think it's better to learn the easy way rather than the hard way.

Wikipedia has a real nice article about the Harley Davidson Company.

If you like the risk you can purchase their stock on the New York Stock Exchange. Symbol: HOG

Don
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BlaineG's Ultra Classic: Boy now, that's a Harley! Pricey I'll bet.
I got a steal a couple years ago.....11,000 miles and 14,500.....I almost broke my arm writing the check. Sold the almost new Goldwing. That sucka was a true Warp One machine; an 1800cc sport bike with luggage. My Harley can not come close, but I wanted a Harley before I hang up the spurs 8) . Listening to the Vance & Hines is better than free beer at the booby club.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

BlaineG,

I don't understand all you had to say about your Harley and previous Goldwing. How do you compare the two? They are both great bikes, I know that for sure.

Believe I've heard if you park a Goldwing amongst the 'wrong bunch' of Harleys you could be at the start of something big. :shock:

Also maybe you could tell me the gas milage of the big Harley's vs. the Sportster. How many miles before having to stop for gas?

Don
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Rear axle load on mine was " everything after 105 lbs. has to be mammary gland "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

getitdone1 wrote:BlaineG,

I don't understand all you had to say about your Harley and previous Goldwing. How do you compare the two? They are both great bikes, I know that for sure.

Believe I've heard if you park a Goldwing amongst the 'wrong bunch' of Harleys you could be at the start of something big. :shock:

Also maybe you could tell me the gas milage of the big Harley's vs. the Sportster. How many miles before having to stop for gas?

Don
The Goldwing was lightning fast (13 second Qtrs), quiet, smooth, handled like a sport bike. Top end was in the 130 range, though I stopped at about 120. Got about 39-45 mpg depending on speed, and headwind. With regular oil and maintence, it's a 200,000 mile engine. Probably a better value.

The Ultra Classic is not as fast, about the same mpg, handles just as good, or better, and is more comfortable on an 800 mile day. Even the guys at Harley admit it's prolly 100,000 mile engine. You will, IMO, have to do a quality Stage One on a Harley so that it will run cooler, smoother and a hair more lower rpm torque. It makes all the difference in the world. I've done a Screaming Eagle air intake, Vance and Hines Monster Ovals, and a Dobeck fuel controler. The sound alone is Bad Azz enough to make up for the speed (that I never really used anyway) Doing Stage 2, and 3 will buy lot's more HP and Torque, and make it very fast, but it's more money than a Goldwing at that point. I'm not a guru on these beasts, so other HOGs should chime in, too.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Then there's the "appeal." What's to like about a motorcycle and especially a Harley?

I've never had a motorcycle but my guess is a kind of 'freedom of the road' feeling when riding one and the Harley adds THE sound unique to it and loved by many.

What else?

The biggest negative I can think of is they are much more dangerous than a car or truck but some here may disagree with this. "Defensive driving' would be even more important with a motorcycle. Also they are not a very good bad weather vehicle. The '3-wheeler' would help in both instances. They are pricey.

Thanks BlaineG for your info.

Don
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sportster Custom XL1200C

Try a Gold Wing though----------just to be sure! :wink: (if so---you WILL want to take long road trips) only hear the "wind" :lol: :wink:
100,000 miles ain't nothing anymore on a Gold Wing!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Back in o6 I just had to get the Harley Davidson thing out of my system.
Bought me a brand spanky new 06 Dyna Super Glide. Awesome bike but
found out real quick buying the bike is the most inexpensive part. HD’s are
an accessory money pit from the word go. Never regretted buying her, but I
will never own another one in my lifetime.
Last edited by cshold on Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Another one to consider-------------------Yamaha/ V Star 950r I am dead serious.
Though it is not a Harley(I have road this bike on a trip last year(700 miles)and was very impressed by the bike.
http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/pro ... /home.aspx
You should be able to find a NEW(leftover)for around $6900(NEW)for a 950cc
Also they make deals on their(5 YEAR Transferable WARRANTY)this bike is an absolute steal.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Heritage Softail or Fatboy would be the Harleys, as that was my decision, one of those two. Went with the Heritage, but will try and put some Fatboy wheels on it

Goldwing is OK (picked up a used one,84, with 12K miles for $2,600). I like the older ones, not so much plastic on them. Now, for a sleeper bike for the uninformed, as you don't see them alot, but those that have them, love them.
The Honda Valkyrie. Kind of like a Goldwing crossed wiith a Cruiser bike.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

The man asked about a Sporty and you guys keep talking about baggers and Wings. I'll keep my thoughts to the Sportsters. Alot of people start on an 883 and if we were all honest that's as big a bike as any of us NEED whether you're wanting a Japper or H-D. But, most of us want a bit more and the 1200 is more tempting bike. I'd suggest a 2004 or newer 1200. That will get you the rubber motormounts. That's a lot smoother set up than the solid mounted engine. The Custom model that was mentioned has more chrome and is a good looking bike and also has the forward controls that was talked about. Alot of bar hoppers like the forward controls but I ride alot and prefer the standard mounted controls that are back and little closer to the rider. I would add a set of highway pegs so you can stretch your legs out if you want when you're out on the road. The reason I prefer the standard mounts is with your legs a bit more "under" the rider you are able to let your legs take up some of the pounding that your lower back gets due to the somewhat harsh suspension of the Sportster. Especially the Custom models which have shorter shocks and less suspension travel. You should be able to find a 10,000 mile 2004-2007 standard model 1200 for the $5000.00 you're talking about. With the larger tanks on these years you will be able to get an easy 120 miles between fillups and if you ride a Sporster 120 miles non stop you'll be ready to get off and stretch yur legs anyway. Now, if you decide you want to go with a bigger motor yet, let us know and I'll add my two cents on that too. What ever you decide to do, Jap, H-D or anything else you will sure enough find that there is no better way to see this great country than on a motorcycle.
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

Thunder50 wrote: Now, for a sleeper bike for the uninformed, as you don't see them alot, but those that have them, love them.
The Honda Valkyrie. Kind of like a Goldwing crossed wiith a Cruiser bike.
manyvalk.gif
Heh. I like mine.
Biggest problem being with recommending one is that the 2003 model year was the end of the line. Another thing is, well, the flip side of one of the fun things: 6 cylinders with their own individual carburators. Best mileage I've ever seen out of the beast was ~40mpg: the usual is more like 30-33. Right wrist activity has a direct effect on its MPG and being that it's fun to twist 'er tail and hang on...
And despite the brand name, it was made in Marysville Ohio with a high enough percentage of American parts that it wears "Made in USA" on the VIN plate and several other locations, unlike a few other makes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Thanks for all the advice. The more brands and models I hear about the more I'll have to give a try. Gonna be fun.

One thing I'll have to be leery about is selecting one for and as a beginner and then wishing I'd bought something else. Want to get it right the first time. No doubt taking my time and trying several will make this possible.

I like a bit of a "power sound" coming out of the muffler but don't recall any giving you this other than a Harley. Expect that "Harley sound" has helped their sales.

I'll have to try the "big ones" too, just to be sure. I can appreciate how they'd be better on a long trip and actually smoother riding anywhere--so....I can't rule them completely out at this time.

I've mentioned Raymond Proenneke, Dick (Richard) Proenneke's brother a few times to this group. He's now 89 but has had lots of Harley experience. He road one to Southern CA from Iowa in 1942. Believe he had 3 Harley's. He was also a pilot and flew up to Dick's cabin in Alaska a few times. One time on floats and took-off down by the Queen Mary in Long Beach harbor. Think he'd enjoy seeing a motorcycle around from time to time. It's for me but nice to know he'd enjoy seeing it. Would he ride it at age 89? I'll bet he would.

Don
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I prefer a "standard" like the Triumph Bonneville myself:

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motor ... /2012/5032

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

And that was me talking of grinning from ear to ear ;-)

As birdman said back to Harley sportsters...

Mine has the standard 3.5 gallon tank, 12.5l.

I get about 200-220kms per tank on my 883.

In regards to 883 vs 1200, I beat my mates 1200 sporty off the line
to 100km/h, geared differently.

Depends which Sportster you want, the 48 looks cool but teeeny tank size you will have to fill almost daily.

The Iron is my favourite but the new 72 looks cool too.
All I can say is, if you initially wanted a Harley, and then buy a try hard Harley, you will regret it.

So what are you thinking
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Here`s what i`m talking about. :wink:

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Of course everyone knows Thor rode a Harley...

And Thor rode in his chariot of iron that made the rumble of thunder as he went, and the ladies of Asgard trembled as he passed, but Thor was pleased with the sound and was never so happy as when he was journeying in his chariot.
Norse Mythology from Thomas Bulfinch

Now first off what do you intend to do, do you want a sport bike or a long haul machine? What is your expieience? Long time rider who is use ot a heavy road bike or a newbie who will need to start out lighter.

When you decide what you want it for then start looking. My 125 pound Daugher rides an 883 sportster for fun and a daily commute to work of abot 60 miles, but confidentially she prefers my Yamaha for long hauls as the seating and ride is better. (Sorry Harley)
My brother and hs wife ride a dresser with an 88 cubic inch and he is thinking of having it punched to 96. The 74 is the old reliable and is big enough in torque for any riding but it won't keep up with a sport bike in the 1/4 mile.

Bottom line, look, read, listen and try and then decide.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

You could buy my BMW R100s (1977 - one owner) since I've lived long enough to have bad knees - and some heart problems - that I had to give up riding - heart breaking -

:cry:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Just joined www.motorcycleforum.com and already learned a couple of things that could be helpful.

1. Always keep your distance behind trucks with trailers hauling livestock!

2. In orange raising country--like here in Hemet--watch-out for oranges that have fallen off of trucks.

Bet some of you can add to this list.

Don
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

OJ wrote:You could buy my BMW R100s (1977 - one owner) since I've lived long enough to have bad knees - and some heart problems - that I had to give up riding - heart breaking -

:cry:
One of the orginal Super Bikes....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Just started watching videos on YouTube about motorcycles and here's the 1st one. You could title it "How to and how not to." As they say on TV--don't try this at home.

I'll probably be back with some more but lucked-out on the first one. Not for me but got a kick out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQP9EoV06Tw

Don
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

getitdone1 wrote:Just joined http://www.motorcycleforum.com and already learned a couple of things that could be helpful.

1. Always keep your distance behind trucks with trailers hauling livestock!

2. In orange raising country--like here in Hemet--watch-out for oranges that have fallen off of trucks.

Bet some of you can add to this list.

Don

The three top rules for longevity for bikers - for longevity in one piece :

1. Don't ride anywhere your mind hasn't gone at least 8 seconds before -

2. Don't tailgate - or allow it on you -

3. Don't ride in any other vehicle driver's "blind spot" (not first but most often ignored)
Last edited by OJ on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

If you're a first time rider, I respectfully ask you to reconsider your plans. I just got back into the riding world after a long absence (don't ask how long!) and I bought in on a Kawasaki KLR 650.

Were I to do it all over again I would highly, recommend another path. Go out and buy a little Honda Rebel or something else in the 250 - 300 cc range. My preference is for the Rebel, we used them in the motorcycle class I took.

I'll guarantee, whatever bike you get you *will* drop it a couple times. It's going to take awhile to get the hand coordination thing going again and there's a lot of basics you can learn on the little putt-putt bikes.

Put some 300-500 miles, five or ten at a time on the little one. Somewhere in there, take one of the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) classes. For us folks in Ohio, it's an evening class of four hours classroom and Saturday/Sunday six hours each. Their classes are *excellent*. As a friend of mine said, they took ten years of riding experience and turned it into a weekend.

You get a good discount on your insurance. You also get a waiver at the BMV for your 'M' endorsement on your driver's license.

At that point, You re-sell that little putt-putt for most of what you have in it, and then graduate up to what you want. Now you'll have a lot better handle on your preferences.

I'd say a HD Road King if I had a blank check, but with my finances (ha!) I'll stick with the KLR.

Please, please consider my cheap advise. Feel free to PM me, or I'll even shoot you my phone number if you want to talk bikes over.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I agree that you shouldn't get too big and heavy of a mc to start with, unless it's a one shot deal and you will never get a second one. Then get what you really want.

I don't think you should get a slow bike. I've been run down and it blows. My little R-65 is supposed to get to 60 in 6 sec. That means you have a chance to escape with a little throttle work.

It could be an enduro class bike. They get about 75 mpg and they will accelerate like crazy. They can cruise at highway speeds, except in TX.

And remember this. No one sees you as a vehicle. They see someone in their way who is floating above the pavement in the exact spot they want. Every single one of them is able and willing to kill you. Drive accordingly.

Learn how to make the front brakes save your life rather than take it away, modern hydraulic disc brakes will pitchpole you, you have to have a touch for them.

Safety class will help you sort this stuff out.

Keep the shiny side up.

Grizz
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

wecsoger,

You've given me excellent advice below. I'm not sure I'll take it but it's for sure I will ride carefully and slow and away from traffic for the first several miles.
I've just got done watching beginners let their bikes get away with them on YouTube. I'm sure many times they got the accelerator backwards in their minds. That's a 'wakerupper" for sure!

I really do appreciate your wisdom. It helps me to appreciate the danger factor and there sure is one!

My brother back in Indiana has a MoPod. 49cc. Real puny but easy for me to ride and handle although I know nothing like a 750-1800cc motorcycle. A true world of difference between them. Again, I intend to respect the danger factor--a lot. But, not let it intimidate me too much--that too can make things dangerous.

Don
wecsoger wrote:If you're a first time rider, I respectfully ask you to reconsider your plans. I just got back into the riding world after a long absence (don't ask how long!) and I bought in on a Kawasaki KLR 650.

Were I to do it all over again I would highly, recommend another path. Go out and buy a little Honda Rebel or something else in the 250 - 300 cc range. My preference is for the Rebel, we used them in the motorcycle class I took.

I'll guarantee, whatever bike you get you *will* drop it a couple times. It's going to take awhile to get the hand coordination thing going again and there's a lot of basics you can learn on the little putt-putt bikes.

Put some 300-500 miles, five or ten at a time on the little one. Somewhere in there, take one of the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) classes. For us folks in Ohio, it's an evening class of four hours classroom and Saturday/Sunday six hours each. Their classes are *excellent*. As a friend of mine said, they took ten years of riding experience and turned it into a weekend.

You get a good discount on your insurance. You also get a waiver at the BMV for your 'M' endorsement on your driver's license.

At that point, You re-sell that little putt-putt for most of what you have in it, and then graduate up to what you want. Now you'll have a lot better handle on your preferences.

I'd say a HD Road King if I had a blank check, but with my finances (ha!) I'll stick with the KLR.

Please, please consider my cheap advise. Feel free to PM me, or I'll even shoot you my phone number if you want to talk bikes over.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I'm sure many of you responding to my post here have seen many motorcycle YouTube videos. For those of you who have not, give them a try. Just write 'Harley' in the box for a start. People being chased by police, beginners having their bikes get away with them and people without good sense trying all kinds of stunts and often getting hurt.

I just finished watching a bunch of these videos. Entertaining for sure. The guys trying to out-run the police on their bikes was a little scary. Very good way to get yourself killed.

Don
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

One thing(first bike)??? The Harley's sit low,ever notice when the guys on them pull up to a stop stop(both feet down)
I used to think riding my 900 Kawaski (look at those yahoos) :lol:

Anyway, the bikes that sit a little different (you actually might find you enjoy them more)??

Hit link below and check out one he## of a bike for around $6K that is (not to small/big)rides well and will grow as you grow.
Though it does not have that loud sound (it will go)more than you ever will have the need(MAX SCREEN VIDEO)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlFMI3CH ... re=related

See how quick that baby get to 62mph(100km)-------------around 3 seconds :lol: :D (and its smooth)
Also notice he hits 125mph in around 12 seconds but he shifted 3rd very prematurely(didnt power shift) (should have been around 10.5 sec???) also he is upright not laying on tank.
OK, I am going to tell you truthfully at least around these parts(an 883 Harley)-----------Girls Bike.
Myself, I would pick one above a 883 (at least,every Harley dude on their Fatboy/Wideglide/etc aint giving ya a look like :roll:

Not saying you have to speed but their are times that quickness can be a good thing.

They just won't give you a look at all :lol: (but, if you want you can put them in your rear view mirrors quick)and for $6K :wink:
And we won't even discuss the handling/braking aspects.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

You Jap haters here are gonna hate me even more but I LOVE the Browning 1886 (Little Yellow Devil-chester), and my next "Harley" (in my dreams) will be a Yamaha Road Star. I love air-cool V-Twins but also prefer reliability, cheaper purchase price along with cheaper insurance rates. :mrgreen:

Last edited by Ji in Hawaii on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I know the newer Harley's have come a long way.
The Harley I had was a 1971 FLH (shovelhead)and I am not kidding(you had to be a mechanic)to keep it running good.(had it 6 months)
It was even worse than my 650 BSA
When I bought my new Kawasaki 900 Z1 (it was like a whole new world of riding)I actually could take road trips and not worry about the license plate shaking off or bike breaking down.Just care free enjoyable rides.

Would I buy a new one---maybe if the price was right and I was lucky to get a good one. (but it surely would not be a 883)

Dude---for the buck those FZ6's crank and last and you ride up position and comfy. 165mph (new machine---$6K)priceless :lol: :wink:
60mph will feel like your doing about (20mph)(I want one now)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzSVR-iiZjI

If it aint a Yamaha ,ya aint got jack jack! :lol:
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

wecsoger had some good advice. Had a hiatus of about 20 years from riding, got back into it and got a Valkyrie. Even though I had then, about 20K miles on me, took the MSF basic course. Ended up with a Harley Heritage, it has a balanced engine, very little shaking. Not a bit of trouble with it. Did sell my Valk (std., wanted an interstate).

Newbie rider, the Honda Rebel is the way to go for a few K miles. As said, real popular bike, you can sell it for about what you bought it for, that is, unless you really mangled it. Got my wife to take the MSF and she has a Rebel to ride, till she might change her mind and want something bigger. Wants to get the experience riding, with the Rebel.

A liquid cooled, Honda Shadow, would be a good bike also.

Did I mention, take the MSF course.

Lot of good bikes out there.

Oh, did try out a Sportster, but didn't fit me very well.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have been riding steady for about 10yrs now. If you have never rode much, then the most important thing for you to do is take a motorcycle safety course, before you even go shopping for a motorcycle. It could save your life, and probably will at least once in the first 6 months of your riding life.

Riding will get in your blood, if you are normal. Some outgrow it, and quit, but even though I don't ride as much as I did in the first few years, I would still hate to give it up, now, but riding is unforgiving of mistakes, at times. I have been very lucky, and I have no doubt that taking a riding course has saved my life several times.

As far as bikes go, it's really whatever you get used to. You can do big miles on a Sportster, but I would much rather have a big twin. If you are short, (Less then lets say 5'-9 or 10) then I would stay away from Sportsters, and the low models don't have very good suspension, IMHO. I started on a 1200 XLH Sportster. It was ok, but the wind blew it around much worse then the 98 Wide Glide I ride now, or my 04 Roadking.

I am not real high on my Roadking either, although it's a pretty good long distance bike, however, my favorite is my old 98 Wide Glide, but it's still a fairly tall bike, compared to a Fatboy or Heritage Softtail. I am 5'-10" and if I was much shorter, I would probably ride a Softtail. My Wide Glide is the best handling bike for me, I like the suspension better, and it's a big bike but still handles much better and feels lighter then something like my Roadking, for around town, etc.

I have also found that my Wide Glide is a more stable bike then my Sportster ever was on gravel, wet pavement, etc. However, if you ride much gravel, the belts on Harleys can get damaged, as I have replaced a couple, so I finally had my Wide Glide converted to a chain final drive, best thing I ever done, but I live on a grave road.

It's not a bad idea to get a small (even Jap bike) to learn on, then later get what you really want. Personally I don't like the looks, or the ride of most jap bikes, and they usually have too much fake chrome and plastic on them, for my tastes, but some people can be happy with them, and they are pretty good bikes, but I would still rather ride a Harley, However, one of the big Jap bikes will probably serve you well. I have friends that ride a lot that like the Gold wings, but a Goldwing is not a beginner's bike, by any means.
NRA Life Member, Patron
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

OJ
Send me your E mail I had an R90 in 75 and am looking for another BMW
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

IMO (worth 2 cents or less :lol: ) You will outgrow a Honda Rebel (250cc) very, very soon. A grown man with common sense could start out on a used, medium 600-900 or so cc Rice Burner and go from there. I've steered a couple friends into a Kawasaki 900 cruiser and they are tickled to death. When I get tired of 800 mile days, I'll sell down to a smaller one like that, or a 1200 Sporty....With all due respect to Madman, if you buy a superbike like that Yamaha, save the box it came in so you won't have to buy a casket :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV