Opinions on Super Redhawk

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Opinions on Super Redhawk

Post by 66GTO »

I am going to look at a Ruger Super Redhawk, 7 1/2", stainless, this weekend. I intend to carry this while hog hunting as a backup to my Marlin 1894, .44 Magnum. I have a Security Six that I bought when I still had hair (a looong time ago!) and it has been very reliable. Other than not liking the sight picture, I have been happy with it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Redhawk is based on the Security Six action and frame and the Super Redhawk is based off of the SP101.

Based on my experience with my Security Six and Ruger's reputation, I trust that the revolver will meet my needs and I will be happy with it. I know the .44 Magnum will get the job done on a feral hog.

I know a lot you guys are partial to single action Rugers, but having carried and trained with double action revolvers and semi-auto pistols, I feel more comfortable with a double action revolver if I have to fall back on muscle memory and training in a "Oh Shoot!!" moment. Don't want to be facing an angry boar and pulling the trigger on an S/A expecting it to go bang and wondering why it didn't.

Anyone with experience with the SRH have any advice for me before I look at the revolver? I know to check the lock up, timing, and look for cutting into the top strap.

He is asking $525 for the SRH with a holster. Don't have a picture of either to post.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: Opinions on Super Redhawk

Post by wecsoger »

Can't speak to the price.

The Redhawk series are *huge* revolvers. Make you you actually handle and look one over if you're not familiar. They're not quite into crew served weapons, but almost.

Look at replacement grips. I'm very partial to Hogue.

You may shoot it a lot more single than double action.

Different sights are easily found.

As with all the Ruger's, mine has been rock solid.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The Redhawks are all I've ever used, and seem more streamlined than the Super Redhawks, but plenty strong for .44 Magnum. You might want to compare Redhawk to Super Redhawk before your final decision.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've had four SRH's 2 in 44 and 2 in 480 . And they were ALL heavy of course I always had a Leupold 2x mounted on top .

They carried pretty well in a shoulder holster however . And all four shot well with handloads .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I own and have owned nearly a dozen Six series Rugers, a few less Ruger Single-Actions, a bunch of GP100s, 3 Redhawks, and have shot the Super Redhawk and SP101's quite a bit. All of them are high quality handguns that can be relied upon without question. The Redhawk is more akin to the GP series than the Six series and the Super Redhawk shows some relation to the Redhawk, but is of its own design. I do not consider the Super Redhawk a handgun that was designed to carry as a back-up, the Alaskan excepted. It was designed to used as a primary gun, with perhaps with a smaller handgun backing it up.

If it were me in your situation, I'd stoke the Security-Six with 180 grain hardcast bullets from Buffalo Bore or 158 grain soft-points from Remington or Winchester and leave it at that. If you're hell bent on carrying a big back-up handgun, I'd find a Smith and Wesson 4 or 6 inch 44 Magnum or the 4" Redhawk and fill it with 250 Keith semi-wadcutters or the like and go that way. Heck, for $525 you've got some options (the two mentioned will go new for just a 100 more bones). Unless you plan on hunting with the SRH, I'd pass on it.

Why don't I own a Super Redhawk (besides the fact that it is UGLY) and SP101? Because both are too big for what I carry a handgun for. I don't hunt really big stuff (bigger than elk) with a handgun, so I don't need the power I can get with a SRH (454 C, 480 R, etc.). And the SP101 is too darn heavy to carry around town all day, but has too short a barrel and too small a capacity (5 instead of 6) to carry around in the desert - besides if I want a gun that heavy, I'll carry a 4" Security-Six with 6 shots and a longer more balanced barrel. BTW, I hunt with a Redhawk, S&W M29, or SBH, all in 44 Magnum.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Super Redhawk 7 1/2 in .480 Ruger. It would be all you would ever need for Hog hunting if you keep the shots within 50 yards. If you practice a little, 100 yards would be a reasonable limit. I got my Puma 92 after getting the SRH. I would not feel undergunned for anything short of elephant or cape buffalo with the Puma 92 in hand and the SRH on my hip. I would recommend 400 grains or more in the bullet weight.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I had a 7-1/2" SRH in .454 Casull that I used as a primary hunting gun - since IMHO they're WAAAAY too heavy to be carried as a backup to carrying a rifle, too.

I had a Red Dot sight on mine, that was good to 100yds - my personal handgun/limit on game animals.

It carried very well, indeed, in a Bianchi H.U.S.H. 4100 Bandolier Chest holster, that could be swung around to the back when stalking with the gun in hand (where it should be, IMHO)

I wouldn't bother with the size & weight of a SRH for a .44 Mag - the RedHawk would be a better choice, IMO.

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I know the SRH is stronger but I find them butt-ugly so I much prefer the lines (and lighter weight) of the regular Redhawk.
That being said I own a Taurus model 44. After shooting my buddy's 454 Raging Bull which was very impressive both in quality as well as felt recoil (much less than expected) I bought a SS Taurus 44. This was when I still lived on Maui, and I hav e been VERY happy with it ever since, more than enough power for my needs, a pu$$Ycat to shoot due to great grip design combined with factory porting, light enough for hip carry, and the quality is excellent.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I know the SRH is stronger but I find them butt-ugly so I much prefer the lines (and lighter weight) of the regular Redhawk.
Having owned 4 of the SRH's and one of the RH's I "prefer" a S&W 629 :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mike's Super Redhawk was pretty darn accurate. I didn't buy it when he offered it because I was suffering from flat-pocket syndrome at the time. I think they are too big to carry as a backup. Just my personal opinion.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

They are too big, thats why I had Linebaugh cut my .480 down to 4 1/2". Next step was de-horning it to lighten it up and smooth it out a bit, but I sold it to a guy in Alaska. I lost 25 fps going from 7 1/2" to 4 1/2" using a 405gr bullet at a final velocity of 1150fps. It was plenty handy and quick to use in that length. I'll prob buy an Alaskan in .44 mag to replace it. Ugly is as ugly does. I loved that ugly gun.

"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Stainless 5.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk.
A gun that actually carries well/shoot any loads/and reliable.(did I say again "it carries well")
The SRH carries like my 454 Raging Bull did(too darn big/heavy)get so you will leave it home.?
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Well you guys have about talked me out of buying it. I'll still look at it, but I might just carry my 2 1/2" Security Six with some Buffalo Bore 180 gr. hard cast.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

My personal opinion is that the SRH is an ugly gun; I much prefer the redhawk. Gary Reeder has based his "Mastadon" on the Redhawk; it's a 5 shot and comes in .454 Casull, .475 Linebaugh, and others. In the 'Gallery' section of Hamilton Bowen's website he has a stunning 5 shot Redhawk in .500 Linebaugh.

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I have a Redhawk in. 45 Colt and a SRH in. 44 mag. I carry them while walking miles every hunting season. When I post dead deer pics you can see it on my hip. The are more alike than different and I usually shoot double action. Ugly, but useful.
that's a good price. Don't let them talk you out of it.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I much prefer the Redhawk over the Super Redhawk. I like a lighter pistol for carrying (if you can consider either "light"). My Redhawk is the 5 1/2" model, and is about as big as I like to carry. I'd love to get one of the 4" models.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

66GTO wrote:Well you guys have about talked me out of buying it. I'll still look at it, but I might just carry my 2 1/2" Security Six with some Buffalo Bore 180 gr. hard cast.
Wise decision. Have fun on the hunt. :D
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Idiot wrote:
66GTO wrote:Well you guys have about talked me out of buying it. I'll still look at it, but I might just carry my 2 1/2" Security Six with some Buffalo Bore 180 gr. hard cast.
I disagree with that. Yes, they are big and they are heavy but they are alao very accurate and can easily handle any load that you are brave (?) enough to pull the trigger on. I think that it would make a great hog gun, especially with a 2x scope or red dot.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

No doubt a very strong DA Revolver. I like my customized 4 5/8" SBH because it's smaller, lighter and fits me mo betta.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

BlaineG wrote:No doubt a very strong DA Revolver. I like my customized 4 5/8" SBH because it's smaller, lighter and fits me mo betta.
+1 :wink:

Also it takes very little use to have it second nature to "just pull the hammer back"
Actually that "extra time" for most users that don't shoot much is a benefit.
When shooting a big guns/big recoil often just pulling the trigger fast results in (missing/shooting at the clouds) :lol:
Not to mention how much better the trigger pull when shooting SA mode.

What you have Blaine is about perfect! :mrgreen:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

madman4570 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:No doubt a very strong DA Revolver. I like my customized 4 5/8" SBH because it's smaller, lighter and fits me mo betta.
+1 :wink:

Also it takes very little use to have it second nature to "just pull the hammer back"
Actually that "extra time" for most users that don't shoot much is a benefit.
When shooting a big guns/big recoil often just pulling the trigger fast results in (missing/shooting at the clouds) :lol:
Not to mention how much better the trigger pull when shooting SA mode.
I've settled on loads with Blue Dot that no matter the bullet weight, I keep them about 1100 or so FPS.....I can't imagine needing more around here for black tail deer, cougar, or smallish black bear. They sure don't kick much at all.....(Heck, the full house loads are not that bad, either)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I for one was not trying to talk you out of it per say. However if you're planning on shooting .44 mag I see no reason to get the SRH over the RH. Grizz' daughter shot a caribou with a scoped RH and I think it was a 5.5" barrel. That will probably be what I replace the .480 SRH with.

Blaine, I've noticed a LOT of various handgun rounds can be loaded with Blue Dot. I'm getting planning to use it for the 10mm and I already use it for the .38 and I think it will work for 9mm and .380 also.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I would consider getting one because they just look so cool in that flat grey.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have a 4" RH and I can't imagine having to carry anything any heavier than that. At the place where this one weighs in mine require that I add suspenders when I wear it on my belt. It shoots great and feels evenbetter now that I've replaced the rubber grips with some more traditional wood slabs.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

sore shoulder wrote:
I for one was not trying to talk you out of it per say. However if you're planning on shooting .44 mag I see no reason to get the SRH over the RH. Grizz' daughter shot a caribou with a scoped RH and I think it was a 5.5" barrel. That will probably be what I replace the .480 SRH with.

Blaine, I've noticed a LOT of various handgun rounds can be loaded with Blue Dot. I'm getting planning to use it for the 10mm and I already use it for the .38 and I think it will work for 9mm and .380 also.
Yup....it's not for light loads, but it's pretty good for several things...It's about equal to 2400, so I'm taking a SWAG that in a pinch a fella could put together some 45-70 or .444 loads, too.....Maybe more.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BlaineG wrote:
sore shoulder wrote: Blaine, I've noticed a LOT of various handgun rounds can be loaded with Blue Dot.
I'm taking a SWAG that in a pinch a fella could put together some 45-70
:o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:

Blaine, you're my kinda stupid. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, color me interested brother.
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

sore shoulder wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
sore shoulder wrote: Blaine, I've noticed a LOT of various handgun rounds can be loaded with Blue Dot.

IIRC (and I might not) my Lee Book has 2400 and BD loads published for 45-70....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

BlaineG wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

IIRC (and I might not) my Lee Book has 2400 and BD loads published for 45-70....

Made me look, yep your right, listed right after 2400 for under 400gr trapdoor loads, thanks for the education brother and my apologies. Going to research this one a bit.
11B30
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Not that we're trying to talk you out of it...

Remember too, the Super Redhawk is a beefed up version of the 'regular' Redhawk with the extended frame and cut-in scope ring mounts. Made that way because of the way some guys were shooting "religious loads" out of the Redhawk and shaking the scopes off. ("religious load", when you shoot one at the range and everyone on the line goes, "Oh My ****" or other words)

You can shook loads in the Redhawk and SuperHawk that feel a mite righteous, but will almost rip your hand off in a BlackHawk.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Idiot wrote:
That"ll work 8)
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I bought a 7-1/2" barreled,scoped Super Redhawk five years ago.I am extremely pleased with the sturdiness and accuracy of it.I do not shoot "hot" loads.It is not all that uncomfortable to carry hunting which I do quite often.I find it very adequate to my needs.All I have added to it is a Hogue grip.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion