6.5-06 and the 6.5-300 Weatherby

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

6.5-06 and the 6.5-300 Weatherby

Post by 6pt-sika »

This fellow McWhorter in Georgia's been making alot of noise about the 6.5mm Weatherby Magnum .

Back in the first days of 1000 yard shooting at Williamsport PA I believe the Drummond guys were big on the 6.5/300 Weatherby as well as the 7mm/300 Weatherby . This one McWhorter is touting is made on the smaller 257/270 Weatherby case . Velocity wise I think it doesn't exceed the 264 WIN MAG but much if any . However I'm not one to sneeze at something that will do the same thing as something I already have . McWhorter I think is claiming this Weatherby based cartridge to be a bit more accurate and easier to get to shoot then the 264 WIN MAG .

Here's a link to some of what he's got to say about the 6.5 Weatherby , the 6.5 AI and the 6.5x47 Lapua . To be honest all three intrest me !

http://mcwhorterrifles.com/WhatsNew.html
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 6.5mm Weatherby Magnum

Post by 6pt-sika »

We've got and old Remington 700BDL in 7mm REM MAG at the shop I am considering swapping the barrel and making a 6.5mm Weatherby Magnum . Perhaps get a slightly heavier Shilen or Lilja stainless fluted barrel . Lap the lugs , true the action and pillar bed the old BDL stock !

For about $3,000 LESS !
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

6.5-06 or 6.5-284.

Savage makes a factory rifle in 6.5-284.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/mode ... ngRange338

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

olyinaz.
I have a 6.5-06 I built myself :D
I like it.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I "had" a 6.5-06 a friend built for me on a 98 Mauser action . Gun had a Shilen #5 contour 24" barrel and it was deadly accurate with the Hornady 129 SST . Two years ago I killed 4 deer with 4 shots from that rifle .

I just didn't care fo it in a 98 Mauser . May get another on a older 700BDL as I have a older 700BDL in 270 squirreled away as well as a like new 6.5-06 reamer I got from Moodyholler a couple years ago .

Savage makes excellent guns don't get me wrong but they're by no means what I would call collector or classic rifles .

I wouldn't mind one of their benchrest guns in 260 REM or 6.5 Creedmoor but thats about it .
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Mescalero wrote:olyinaz.
I have a 6.5-06 I built myself :D
I like it.
Nice!!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I like the .277-03. :) And the .243x57 :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Savage wrote:I like the .277-03. :) And the .243x57 :)

Wow so you're partial to the 270 WIN and the 6mm REM :roll:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Very cool----but think I will just stick with factory Hornady loads of the 7mm Rem Mag
http://www.hornady.com/store/7mm-Rem-Ma ... rformance/
139-gr SST bullets going 3240fps and at 500yds still going 2300fps with the bullet drop only being 32.1 inches.

Buddy I shoot with has a gun that performs(less impressively)ammo costs out the whazoo and it kicks worse.(270 Weatherby Mag) :lol:
Course he was just shooting factory Weatherby loads???

But some very interesting stuff---Good Luck! :wink:
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

madman4570 wrote:Very cool----but think I will just stick with factory Hornady loads of the 7mm Rem Mag
139-gr SST bullets going 3240fps and at 500yds still going 230!0fps with the bullet drop only being 32.1 inches.

Buddy I shoot with has a gun that performs(less impressively)ammo costs out the whazoo and it kicks worse.(270 Weatherby Mag) :lol:

Give me less than 2" inches more drop at 500 yards and I'll see your recoil reduction and raise the savings by several ft/lbs! :D

Incredible: http://www.hornady.com/store/270-Win-13 ... rformance/

And: http://www.hornady.com/store/270-Win-13 ... rformance/

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

madman4570 wrote:Buddy I shoot with has a gun that performs(less impressively)ammo costs out the whazoo and it kicks worse.(270 Weatherby Mag) :lol:
I've got a 270 Weatherby in a Ruger #1B that does okay , but then I'm no longer a big .277" person either . Got a Ruger #1B in both the 300 Weatherby and the 300 WIN MAG and I ain't really a big .308" person either .

But the idea of a 6.5mm on the 270 Weatherby case , the 300 Weatherby case or even the 378 Weatherby case intrests me a good bit !

A 6.5mm on the 300 WIN MAG or 7mm Ultra MAG case is also a good bit intresting .

Man cannot live by chunking big hunks of lead out of 444's and 45-70's alone !
One also needs speed demon barrel burning pieces of copper as well :shock:
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

NOW TELL ME AGAIN WHAT A 6.5WEABYMAG WILL DO THAT MY 26" 264WINMAG WILL NOT DO ??
MY CURRENT 264 WILL SHOOT 120gr SPITZERS AT 3400 EASY AS PIE AND PUT TEN OF 'EM IN AN INCH AT 100 YARDS ALL DAY LONG. I USED IT FOR CHUCK HUNTING WITH EVEN LIGHTER BULLETS AND HIT 'EM SO FAR AWAY YOU'D BETTER PACK A SANDWICH AND EXTRA WATER WHEN YOU WENT TO MEET THE CORPUS DILECTI.
IT'LL REACH 3200 WITH 140gr BULLETS TOO BUT I NEVER MUCH LIKED 'EM FOR SOME REASON.
HAVE HAD TWO 264WINMAGS OVER THE YEARS AND BOTH WERE OUTSTANDING. THIS LATTER ONE IS A 26" DOUGLAS XX MEDIUM HEAVY BBL ON AN FN COMMERCIAL MAGNUM MAUSER ACTION WITH A SAKO ADJUSTABLE TRIGGER IN A FINE PIECE OF HERTER STRAIGHT GRAINED BLACK WALNUT. IT'LL DARNED NEAR SHOOT ALL THE WAY TO THE PROMISED LAND.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

olyinaz wrote:
madman4570 wrote:Very cool----but think I will just stick with factory Hornady loads of the 7mm Rem Mag
139-gr SST bullets going 3240fps and at 500yds still going 230!0fps with the bullet drop only being 32.1 inches.

Give me less than 2" inches more drop at 500 yards and I'll see your recoil reduction and raise the savings by several ft/lbs! :D

Incredible: http://www.hornady.com/store/270-Win-13 ... rformance/

And: http://www.hornady.com/store/270-Win-13 ... rformance/

Oly
You got to raise the ft/lbs Oly by couple hundred :lol:
Hey, I got some 165gr gameking Federal ammo that hits 2050 ft/lbs at 400 yards :lol:

But yes,that 270 win is a fantastic cartridge and will do what needs doing.

6pt----Dude, I can't hang with your stuff(you got some big guns) :shock: (a lot of big nice guns) :mrgreen:
I do have a .416 Weatherby but its absolutely crazy overkill for what I shoot.Don't like to spend a dinner for each shot :lol: (at least my dinners at the town diner.

Terry,
I remember way back in the day reviewing all the various commercial ballistic tables and remember the butt kicker we always found was the 264 Win Mag :mrgreen: I am sure if Hornady had .264 Win Mag Superformance ammo it would beat that 7MM I got,let alone some of these new hot rod cals.Like you said you are already doing it with your loadings :mrgreen:

No doubt that cool gun you got will also out shoot my plain old Win 70 XTR with no problem.
Heck, I aint even got a scope on it----its my open sighted woods gun. (got tired pulling a few up out of the gorge)so I thought screw it using my 7MM Mag on deer.(so far knock on wood or tap on key board,its worked) Problem was one of my favorite spots was just in this Hemlock ridge,huge gorge and unless the deer immediately dropped (seems they always run down hill)they would stumble/roll down quite a ways.(big pain getting em out)
That 7MM Mag (so far)just folds them over.

I would love to see pics sometime of that custom .264 win Mag.
Same with some of yours 6pt

You fellas got some good guns!
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Terry Murbach wrote:NOW TELL ME AGAIN WHAT A 6.5WEABYMAG WILL DO THAT MY 26" 264WINMAG WILL NOT DO ??
MY CURRENT 264 WILL SHOOT 120gr SPITZERS AT 3400 EASY AS PIE AND PUT TEN OF 'EM IN AN INCH AT 100 YARDS ALL DAY LONG. I USED IT FOR CHUCK HUNTING WITH EVEN LIGHTER BULLETS AND HIT 'EM SO FAR AWAY YOU'D BETTER PACK A SANDWICH AND EXTRA WATER WHEN YOU WENT TO MEET THE CORPUS DILECTI.
IT'LL REACH 3200 WITH 140gr BULLETS TOO BUT I NEVER MUCH LIKED 'EM FOR SOME REASON.
HAVE HAD TWO 264WINMAGS OVER THE YEARS AND BOTH WERE OUTSTANDING. THIS LATTER ONE IS A 26" DOUGLAS XX MEDIUM HEAVY BBL ON AN FN COMMERCIAL MAGNUM MAUSER ACTION WITH A SAKO ADJUSTABLE TRIGGER IN A FINE PIECE OF HERTER STRAIGHT GRAINED BLACK WALNUT. IT'LL DARNED NEAR SHOOT ALL THE WAY TO THE PROMISED LAND.
Never said this Weatherby thing was better and I to am an advocate of the 264 WIN MAG having owned four of them is my 50 years . And still have one in a Ruger #1B .

140 grain bullets are a tad heavier then I personally like to shoot in a 264 WIN MAG , 6.5-06 or a 260 REM . I prefer ones in the 125-130 range . But you do what you want old timer .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

madman4570 wrote: 6pt----Dude, I can't hang with your stuff(you got some big guns) :shock: (a lot of big nice guns) :mrgreen:
I do have a .416 Weatherby but its absolutely crazy overkill for what I shoot.Don't like to spend a dinner for each shot :lol: (at least my dinners at the town diner.
Same with some of yours 6pt
You talk about overkill , two if the 264's I had over the years were a special run item Remington did for AcuSport maybe 12 years ago . They made a 700BDL stainless synthetic and over the course of time I had two of them .

Anyway I took the first one up to the Poconos one year for my annual PA opener trip I used to do when my buds still lived there . Anyway I was on state game lands one day with this rifle and a LEupold VariXIII 4.5-14x on top and this fellow stopped by where i was sitting and asked what I was hunting with . His eys got a tad LARGE when I told him he shook his head and went on his way .

My present 264 WIN MAG is nothing more then the factory Ruger #1B in 264 WIN MAG they brought out two years ago and only made ONE year !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I scratched around last night and found my old circa 1977 Gun Digest . It has a Bob Bell articlae about Tom Drummond and his lines of cartridges . Seems he had four lines one built on the 240 Weatherby case , the next on the 270 Weatherby case , the next on the 300 Weatherby case and the largest on the 378 Weatherby case .

With all his stuff he had an exagerrated AI shoulder meaning his shoulders were a good bit sharper then Ackley's . I'm not sure if I would want a Drummond or AI shoulder on whatever I build if I build anything .

After reading the article again I went in my loading room and dug out empty cases . Got a 264 WIN MAG , a 270 Weatherby , a 7mm REM MAG , a 7mm STW , a 7mm Ultra MAG , a 300 WIN MAG , a 300 Weatherby MAG and a 378 Weatherby MAG .

I've been looking at them a bit on and off today . I've always liked the idea of the 6.5mm STW as well as the 6.5mm Ultra MAG . And back in the day I'm quite aware that the 1000 yard boys used the 6.5mm/300 Weatherby and the 6.5mm/300 WIN MAG a good bit . To be honest the thought of a 6.5mm/378 Weatherby MAG don't sound to bad either . I'm sure that 6.5/378 would use a pound of powder about every 55-60 shots . If I'm not mistaken the 7mm Ultra MAG I used to own was about 68 shots to a pound of powder so I would expect the 378 case to handle a bit more .
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A Friend had an 8mm/378 built that used about 116 gr of powder to push a 200 gr bullet about 3450 fps.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Savage wrote:A Friend had an 8mm/378 built that used about 116 gr of powder to push a 200 gr bullet about 3450 fps.
I load for a friends 505 Gibbs . With a Barnes 525 grain Triple Shock I'm using 130 grains of RL-22 and thats a medium load :lol:

When I was loading for the 7mm Remington Ultra MAG it seems to me I used 108 grains of one powder with a 150 grain bullet . But I have no idea the velocity as my Chrony was broken and my buddy hadn't gotten his yet so I never clocked the Ultra Mag . Might have him bring the Gibbs wednesday if we go to the range and clock the load in that one while we're out there .
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Old Savage wrote:
I like the .277-03. And the .243x57

Wow so you're partial to the 270 WIN and the 6mm REM - 6 pt Sika

Add a 338 Win and 223 and that pretty much would cover it all here don't you think.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Savage wrote:Old Savage wrote:
I like the .277-03. And the .243x57

Wow so you're partial to the 270 WIN and the 6mm REM - 6 pt Sika

Add a 338 Win and 223 and that pretty much would cover it all here don't you think.
Nope can't say it would !

And the fact that I have #1's in all but the 223 doesn't make alotta difference either .

Covering it as you put it is NEVER my intention . I pretty much do because I want to or find it intresting never because "I need" or "want to cover it" .
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mine either - got to have at least 3 270s and 3 30-06s and prit near every other caliber. :D :D :D And, 3 30-30s etc., etc., etc.

shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

6-pt, check out the Norma line of magnum cartridges. The 338 Norma Mag is all the 338 Lapua is and doesn't require the Magnum length action. Stuff a 6.5 or 7mm bullet in that chase and you would have a very nice barrel burner!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.338_Norma_Magnum
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Interesting 6.5mm article:

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2011/01/ ... ng_200812/

"If you work the numbers with a ballistics program, as I did in the accompanying chart, it’s easy to see that the 6.5mm looks pretty darned good. It holds up extremely well at distance and doesn’t beat you up in the process. For instance, if you can get an aerodynamic 140-grain 6.5mm bullet up to about 3,000 fps–which, depending on barrel length and load, is possible in several 6.5mm cartridges–you will achieve a trajectory curve similar to a 140-grain bullet out of a .270 WSM at 3,200 fps.

Perhaps a better example is to compare a 140-grain 6.5mm at 3,000 fps against a similar 180-grain .30 caliber bullet at 3,200 fps. I can get 3,000 fps out of my .264 Winchester Magnum, and I can get 3,200 fps out of my .300 Weatherby Magnum. As you can see from the table, the trajectory curve is about the same, but in a 20 mph crosswind the 180-grain .30 caliber drifts about six inches more at 400 yards. And of course my .300 Weatherby is going to beat me up a whole lot more in the process. This is why inherently accurate 6.5mm cartridges such as the short, fat 6.5-.284 Norma have become a darling of the 1,000-yard crowd."

Another on the very interesting (and now SAAMI) 6.5mm Grendel:

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2011/11/ ... evolution/

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

olyinaz wrote:Another on the very interesting (and now SAAMI) 6.5mm Grendel:
Don't mean to be rude but nothing on the AR platform is what I call intresting and certainly a far ways away from the original direction of this thread !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

shawn_c992001 wrote: Stuff a 6.5 or 7mm bullet in that chase and you would have a very nice barrel burner!
"Barrel Burner" is a term coined by some that don't understand how to use high octane cartridges with out smoking the barrel and or throat .

Over the years I've messed quite a bit with the 220 Swift , the 25-06 , the 264 WIN MAG , the 7mm STW and the 7mm Ultra MAG . All proclaimed by one or other of the "know it all gun writers" as barrel burners . And it's been my experience with a certain amount of common sense that term is untrue of them all . So I see no reason the cartridge you spoke of would not be okay also as long as the shooter doesn't sit at the bench and shoot long strings .
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

6pt-sika wrote:
shawn_c992001 wrote: Stuff a 6.5 or 7mm bullet in that chase and you would have a very nice barrel burner!
"Barrel Burner" is a term coined by some that don't understand how to use high octane cartridges with out smoking the barrel and or throat .

Over the years I've messed quite a bit with the 220 Swift , the 25-06 , the 264 WIN MAG , the 7mm STW and the 7mm Ultra MAG . All proclaimed by one or other of the "know it all gun writers" as barrel burners . And it's been my experience with a certain amount of common sense that term is untrue of them all . So I see no reason the cartridge you spoke of would not be okay also as long as the shooter doesn't sit at the bench and shoot long strings .
And I would agree with you up to a point. However, there are cartridges that you simply can not expect very long barrel life out of with out a significant loss in accuracy after a few thousand rounds.

Just out of curiosity what did you think of the 7mmUM? Looking at some ballistic charts the round simply just doesn't add up. Do you think Reminton found the point of "deminishing returns"?
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

shawn_c992001 wrote:Just out of curiosity what did you think of the 7mmUM? Looking at some ballistic charts the round simply just doesn't add up. Do you think Reminton found the point of "deminishing returns"?
I actually liked the 7mm STW better then the Ultra Mag . The 7mm Ultra I actually owned one of the 700 AWR rifles from the custom shop , while I liiked it well enough I never thought it shot as well as a gun from the Remington Custom Shop should have . I also like the 338 Ultra Mag . Strangely of the 7mm , 300 and 338 Ultra's I've owned and or fired the 300 seemed to hammer me at the bench worse then the other two and they were all in the exact same gun configuration .

Now I owned rifles for both the 7mm SAUM and the 300 SAUM in stainless Model 7's and I truely liked them both . But once you get past all the hype and other BS they're nothing more then short action 280 REM and 06 . Although I must say in the three years I actually used the 300 SAUM I way layed a pile of deer with it . But then the shots I was taking I could have used my cast bullet 444's and killed them all except maybe 2 or 3 .

I suspect if I build a 6.5mm hunting rifle it'll more then likely be a 6.5mm-300 WIN MAG or a 6.5mm-300 Weatherby . Although another 6.5-06 on a nice old 700BDL would be nice as well . And lord knows I already know from personal experience what one of those will do on paper and deer .
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

There is really no gap or niche in the factory offerings.

shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

The accuracy of the 6.5 can only be referred to as "surgical". I have a Mauser 96 sporterized by Kimber that will shoot through the same hole at 100 yards with 129gr. handloads, and a Savage 110 in .264 Mag that will do close to the same with 140gr bullets. Both are Barnes X-Bullets. I have always wanted to try the Rem 6.5 Mag just because I liked the look of the round. With all the short mag hype a few years ago I figured somebody would have put out a short mag or super short mag 6.5mm.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

shawn_c992001 wrote:The accuracy of the 6.5 can only be referred to as "surgical". I have a Mauser 96 sporterized by Kimber that will shoot through the same hole at 100 yards with 129gr. handloads, and a Savage 110 in .264 Mag that will do close to the same with 140gr bullets. Both are Barnes X-Bullets. I have always wanted to try the Rem 6.5 Mag just because I liked the look of the round. With all the short mag hype a few years ago I figured somebody would have put out a short mag or super short mag 6.5mm.
I had a 6.5 REM MAG in one of the old tang safety Ruger 77R's this was an early one because it had what they called the dog leg bolt or something like that . I almost bought another when they brought the Remington 673 out a few years back . But I had already gotten a 350 REM MAG in the 673 and to be honest the gun never felt overly great to me . Something about that stock just didn't suite my particular taste !

I've still got my old Remington Model 7 stainless synthetic in 260 REM from the year Remington first brought the gun out and it'll still shoot well enough for what I use it for ! I've killed more deer with that cartridge then any other according to my game ledger .
Also have the previousely mentioned Ruger #1B in 264 WIN MAG that I've killed a couple deer with .
At the moment I'm in the starting process of making a servicable load for a pair of Swedish Husqvarna Military rifles as well as the old Arisaka 6.5x50R my grandfather brought back from PI in 46 .

I am thinking for my own use another 6.5-06 on a nice old 700BDL and a 6.5-300 MAG on a nice old 700BDL Mag action would be the ticket for me .
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Cartridges depend on rifles not the opposite.

Now, almost by definition if you get a specialty cartridge you are getting a custom rifle job, barrel and all and the accuracy will likely reflect it. Not you but statements like 1/2" all day long. Really? When I hear that phrase - I think bluster. :D Suggests the shooter is 1/2" all day long - really? :?: :lol: :D

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

6pt-sika wrote:Don't mean to be rude but nothing on the AR platform is what I call intresting...
Oh no! An AR hater. :D
6pt-sika wrote:...and certainly a far ways away from the original direction of this thread !
Well ya got me there. :lol:

I've loved the 6.5mm since the first time I shot a 6.5mm Mauser and I've never understood why it hasn't caught on more here in the U.S. given the advantages of the caliber. But getting back to your original premise, I have to wonder at the wisdom of a 6.5mm Weatherby when the brass will be so expensive. No? How much more stank is that thing gonna have on it than .264 mag? Am I off base re. the cost of brass?

Between .270 Weatherby, .300 Win Mag, and 7mm Ultra Mag, which case has the greatest capacity do you know? I suspect that the .378 Weatherby case trumps them all, but I'm guessing.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Don't play into the liberal "hater" terminology as if it is legitimate.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

olyinaz wrote: But getting back to your original premise, I have to wonder at the wisdom of a 6.5mm Weatherby when the brass will be so expensive. No? How much more stank is that thing gonna have on it than .264 mag? Am I off base re. the cost of brass?
Brass cost is a moot point as I already have plenty 270 Weatherby and 300 Weatherby brass on hand .
I think the last new 264 brass I bought was about as expensive as the 300 Weatherby brass I got . Of course I have Federal brass for the 270 Weatherby and Remington brass for the 300 Weatherby .

This McWhorter place is saying use Nosler brass which in ANY cartridge is expensive .
I used Weatherby brass when I had the 257 Weatherby and that stuff was a bit on the pricey side .

For me the biggest thing is die cost . As typically if I do something like this I'll either get Redding or CH-4D dies .
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Old Savage wrote:Don't play into the liberal "hater" terminology as if it is legitimate.
I have no clue what you're talking about.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

6pt-sika wrote:Brass cost is a moot point as I already have plenty 270 Weatherby and 300 Weatherby brass on hand.

I think the last new 264 brass I bought was about as expensive as the 300 Weatherby brass I got . Of course I have Federal brass for the 270 Weatherby and Remington brass for the 300 Weatherby .

This McWhorter place is saying use Nosler brass which in ANY cartridge is expensive .

I used Weatherby brass when I had the 257 Weatherby and that stuff was a bit on the pricey side .

For me the biggest thing is die cost . As typically if I do something like this I'll either get Redding or CH-4D dies .
Interesting. Well, I would certainly think that it will be a flat shooting hot rod if you go for it. Unless one had a particular mission in mind (an expensive guided hunt or safari for example) it seems to me that the reason to do something like this is "just because", so honestly I'd suggest you go for it and report back to us here! I'd be thrilled to hear about such a project.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

olyinaz wrote:Between .270 Weatherby, .300 Win Mag, and 7mm Ultra Mag, which case has the greatest capacity do you know? I suspect that the .378 Weatherby case trumps them all, but I'm guessing.
Holding the cases side by side the Ultra Mag and 378 cases are fairly close with the 378 holding a slight edge to the naked eye.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

olyinaz wrote: Unless one had a particular mission in mind (an expensive guided hunt or safari for example) it seems to me that the reason to do something like this is "just because".
Quite frankly the only thing I'd use the cartridge in question for would be to shoot across the marsh in Dorchester County looking for Sika deer .
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

6pt-sika wrote:
olyinaz wrote: Unless one had a particular mission in mind (an expensive guided hunt or safari for example) it seems to me that the reason to do something like this is "just because".
Quite frankly the only thing I'd use the cartridge in question for would be to shoot across the marsh in Dorchester County looking for Sika deer .
Well that's a dang good excuse! I'm more drawn to the Ultra Mag, but you have the Weatherby brass so...

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

olyinaz wrote:Well that's a dang good excuse! I'm more drawn to the Ultra Mag, but you have the Weatherby brass so...
I didn't say I didn't have enough Ultra Mag brass as well :wink:

The only one I don't have enough brass to start with would be the 7mm STW and that wouldn't be all that difficult to get my hands on .
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

STW brass is easy to make too. Either fire form full length .375 H&H brass or neck and trim 8mm Rem Mag brass down.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

shawn_c992001 wrote:STW brass is easy to make too. Either fire form full length .375 H&H brass or neck and trim 8mm Rem Mag brass down.

I had a 7mm STW for awhile when it was first heard of !

Am well aware of the ease of getting brass . However now since the price of 8mm REM MAG or 375 H&H MAG is as much if not more then 7mm STW correctly headstamped brass I see no reason not to use that is stamped correctly for the cartridge .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I am now thinking a 6.5-06 on a 700BDL with a Shilen #3 contour 24" might just be what I want . Plus I still have all the brass I made up for the 6.5-06 Mauser I had before . Dies for the 6.5-06 are a might more cost efficient as well .
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Except for barrel, that is what mine is.
Mine went to Blackstar for ( chryo treatment )?
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

6pt-sika wrote:I am now thinking a 6.5-06 on a 700BDL with a Shilen #3 contour 24" might just be what I want . Plus I still have all the brass I made up for the 6.5-06 Mauser I had before . Dies for the 6.5-06 are a might more cost efficient as well .
I think that would be lovely and I might build one of those too. What are you thinking about for the stock? Where is the action coming from? Twist rate?

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

olyinaz wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:I am now thinking a 6.5-06 on a 700BDL with a Shilen #3 contour 24" might just be what I want . Plus I still have all the brass I made up for the 6.5-06 Mauser I had before . Dies for the 6.5-06 are a might more cost efficient as well .
I think that would be lovely and I might build one of those too. What are you thinking about for the stock? Where is the action coming from? Twist rate?

Oly
I have an early 1980's 700BDL in 270 WIN available to me . Other then a couple use acratches in the wood the gun looks 95-97% . If I do this it's my plan to remove the barrel , have the action squared and the lugs lapped and then rebarrel with a Shilen carbon steel #3 . While this is going on I'll have the factory BDL stock piller bedded and free float the barrel channel . I kinda want it to look like a factory gun that doesn't happen to be one anylonger !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Twist will more then likely be 1-9 . I can get one of those at dealer cost for a shade under $200 from Brownell's . If I want 1-8 I gotta go factory direct and that'll be a little more pricey . Besides the 6.5-06 I had before was 1-9 and did okay . My little Remington Model 7 260 is 1-9 also and it shot everything up to and including 160 grainers NO PROBLEM .
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

6pt-sika wrote:I have an early 1980's 700BDL in 270 WIN available to me . Other then a couple use acratches in the wood the gun looks 95-97% . If I do this it's my plan to remove the barrel , have the action squared and the lugs lapped and then rebarrel with a Shilen carbon steel #3 . While this is going on I'll have the factory BDL stock piller bedded and free float the barrel channel . I kinda want it to look like a factory gun that doesn't happen to be one anylonger !
Very nice indeed - I think that's a great idea.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

6pt-sika wrote:Twist will more then likely be 1-9 . I can get one of those at dealer cost for a shade under $200 from Brownell's . If I want 1-8 I gotta go factory direct and that'll be a little more pricey . Besides the 6.5-06 I had before was 1-9 and did okay . My little Remington Model 7 260 is 1-9 also and it shot everything up to and including 160 grainers NO PROBLEM .
OK, good to know. I may try to build it myself on a Savage action...still mulling...

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Oly,
Build it, you will never regret it.