.444 Marlin fired from .410 Shotgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

.444 Marlin fired from .410 Shotgun

Post by AJMD429 »

I know some have said they fired .410 shells in a .444 Marlin...

In the 'crayola bullets' thread, someone referenced this guy's 'slug work',
and one of his other videos was of a .444 Marlin fired from a .410.... :shock: :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-lyk1Wy ... ure=relmfu

He's a braver man than me...!

Of course, it could have been worse...

He could have fired a .50 BMG in a 12 gauge...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZaK7D4X ... re=related
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .444 Marlin fired from .410 Shotgun

Post by Rusty »

The demo on the cut shells is an eye opener too. Thanks for posting.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm not about to shove a .429 chunk of metal down a .410 tube.

That said, reaming a thick-walled .410 out to .429 "opens up" some possibilities even if smooth bore...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

I don't know much about gunsmithing,,,,,but, it looks to me like as someone suggested (Old Ironsights) earlier it might be safe to fire a 444 out of a .410 if it were opened up in the barrel a little. One thing I have always noticed about my old Pardner .410 is that there is an awful lot of metal around the chamber. I think it would be up to the task as far as action strength. What about it?
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bridger wrote:One thing I have always noticed about my old Pardner .410 is that there is an awful lot of metal around the chamber. I think it would be up to the task as far as action strength. What about it?
Tensile strength limitations would still be a factor, though, and the steel might not be the same alloy they'd use for a Handi-Rifle in .444 Marlin. Also, firing-pin holes for shotguns are bigger and sometimes primers extrude into them and could rupture, and the action lockup itself might be less than recommended. (Yes, the clucking sound you hear in the background is me, being somewhat of a chicken... :wink: )

Still good to know it might be possible in an emergency.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

This channel seems almost as interesting as hickock45's . Though they do seem rather adventurous!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

What is it about the .410 that makes people want to turn it into something it is not.
It's a shotgun! That's all it is and that's good enough.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

765x53 wrote:What is it about the .410 that makes people want to turn it into something it is not.
It's a shotgun! That's all it is and that's good enough.
Amen!

IMO, thick does not always = stronger than.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Plenty "thick" sculls over here, don't make our nation any stronger thats for certain!

N :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Rusty wrote:The demo on the cut shells is an eye opener too. Thanks for posting.
Yeah. Like that.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

The Handi guys talk about two types of frames, SB1 and SB2's. Usually the shotguns are on the weaker SB1 frame. They also mention differences in the firing pin and hole. Many talk of bushing the pin to reduce piercing of the primer.

I think there are some sacred cows of safety but firing a 444 in an unmodified 410 is something I wouldn't do. Now in a modded smoothbore, again no. However, the old breakopen shotguns often had matching rifle barrels. A 50BMG n a 12 gauge! They got places for folks like that and it ain't a gun range.

I do plan to carefuly sneak up on 8MM bullet loads in my 32 Special though. 1 or two thou is one thing, 20 thou is another.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm pretty certain that the reason there is no problem with the .50 BMG in the 12 ga is the huge difference in bore diameter, .50 vs .720 +/-. Still, it blew the case out very well demonstrating the high pressure involved.

The ringed cartridges are interesting as this is a subject I've heard talked about on and off for over 45 years.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Nath wrote:Plenty "thick" sculls over here, don't make our nation any stronger thats for certain!

N :lol:

Or here...

:oops:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rusty wrote:The demo on the cut shells is an eye opener too. Thanks for posting.
I couldn't tell exactly where they were cutting the shell, but it looked like the entire front of the shell left the gun - I didn't think the bore was big enough for that, either...

Otherwise, why couldn't you fire the 3" shells in 2-1/2" guns...?

I'm confused (not an unusual thing, when it comes to shotguns).

KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

410 my eye a full choke 410 averages .397 at the muzzle. This is under the heading of hold my beer and watch this.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Now that is funny!! :D :D :D :D and true!
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

I wouldn't try it either, but I do have an old H&R break-open shotgun that is stamped 410-44 cal on the barrel by the breach. Makes you wonder what they had in mind when that gun was made (1900 patent). Oh, yeah, it's also got a very slim barrel without much meat at the muzzle end.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I'm not sure about referring to other forums but here goes. Veral Smith of LBT has a thread were the cut shotshells are discussed. It is on the Greybeard, Ask Veral forum.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I haven't heard of shooting 444 Marlin in a 410 shotgun, but I've heard of shooting 45 Colt loads in one. I've done it myself a couple times with moderate loads, and while I don't know what it proved, it didn't hurt anything. If nothing else, the 45 Colt loads make much less expensive slugs than the 410 kind.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I think you guys stopped watching too soon. After a few more 444 Marlin shells, they tried to kill their Rossi shotgun with a round of factory loaded Speer Gold Dot, 300 gr. 454 Casull at about 55,000 cup. They chronographed a round at 1755 fps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAnbDvLI ... ure=relmfu
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Sorry to dig up an old thread but has anybody tried a 2.5" 410 in their 444 lever gun? They will chamber and cycle in my 45-70 1895 Marlin. The 444 with a 16" barrel would be a good home defense gun for a lady if it would feed some of the self defense rounds.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

There is another youtube video in which a guy talks about firing 410s in his 45-70. Apparently has done it for some time.

Nath - one thing to keep in mind is that a lot of folks in this country are descended from folks who came here in sailing ships. Now that has to be a bit more hazardous than firing a a 444 in a 410.:-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

A .429" bullet fired in a .410 doesn't remain the size, any longer than it takes to clear the forcing cone... It gets squeezed down to bore size by the pressure of the fired powder charge.. And, there is still plenty metal surrounding the process, at that point in the bore...

I suspect the gun that was marked .410 - .44 cal." sas set up to accept both .410 shotshells, and special .44 "game getter" loads for the ol Marble"s pistol-carbines of that name. Cartridges were loaded in regular or midified .44WCF cases, with round ball,or birdshot.. Some loads uses an extened case, while others utilized a hollow wooden or hard paper shot cup. All said and done, it was an interesting, but short-lived market..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...