Shooting sticks, opinions and experiences please?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Shooting sticks, opinions and experiences please?

Post by Canuck Bob »

I have been interested in alternative shooting rests. I am trying to setup my Jeep TJ oil patch sales vehicle so I can do lots of impromptu shooting anywhere in the Crown forest here. I carry lots of stuff and my jeep is very limited in room. A folding bench is out.

I carry a handy three leg fold-up camping stool and am considering a matching shooting stick system for a good steady rest for load development. My physical limits don't allow prone or normal field positions like sitting. I currently shoot over the hood but am hiking again and would like to carry something and not be tied to the truck.

Here are a few links from youtube videos. At first I found the 4 legged sticks typically quant in the English way. Then I started to watch and realized I wouldn't want to carry one all day but a short hike from the truck would work. The African PH video and internet traffic is loaded with shooting stick info and how-tos.

Anyone use the walking stick monopod version?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L2Kgmvs_PY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mr4WU3N64k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cobad2VfWJs
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Shooting sticks, opinions and experiences please?

Post by AJMD429 »

I shoot sticks sometimes, when I miss the target I was aiming at... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote:I shoot sticks sometimes, when I miss the target I was aiming at... :wink:

Dang! This guy has a sense of humor---good one Doc!

Canuck Bob--Whats the matter with a Harris bi-pod? The only thing you need woud be a sling eye on the forearm.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

1894c

Post by 1894c »

i like sticks too...i have a friend who uses them, but have never seen him use them in an actual hunting situation...he has them, takes them when he hunting, i personally think he uses them to find water, gold, or such...although i've seen him use them at the range, for him they work... :)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My sticks:

Those work for prone... and I have them in 3 sizes... 18" for prone, 30" for sitting on the ground, and 36" for kneeling or sitting on a stool or ?:

I used to make and sell these for BPCR, out of pine, maple, cherry, white oak and mesquite... they were cheap until you got to the mesquite! 1"x2" 45º on the bottom with 1/8"x3/4"x9" stainless stakes inlet on the inside by 2/3 that length (IIRC your stakes could only be 3" from the bottom of the wood); all stainless hardware. Holes are spaced 1" on center. Very versatile, and never had any complaints about marring wood stocks. The one on the right is white oak, the others are Cherry... the center is the most used, and has seen the most weathering... all 3 are about 20 years old. (The center one in the bottom photo is the same at the one in the top photo... but it usually stays out in the barn for shooting... just got brought in the house a few weeks ago to accompany me on a shooting trip that didn't happen).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I have a couple sets of sticks that find their way into the field with me on occasion. Both my sets are made out of old golf club shafts that are lashed together with paracord. Camo duct tape on one, white duct tape on the other. The rifle rides in the notch of the rubber grips where lashed.

Being said I prefer bipods. More stable and I've never had to back track to my last stand to retrieve them either. Generally I leave all forms of rests at home when I'm hunting timber. The close ranges make a solid rest less important, trees and such provide well if I have time and many timber shots are close, fast, off hand opportunities.

LK
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I used the Bog Pod (tri-pod) for moose. Had I not had it, would not have killed a moose, or at least that particular animal.
Have shot a deer or two with rifle and black powder with the aluminum speed stix, or steady stix something like that. Collapseable, with shock cord running through them. Have shot a ton of turkeys off of those.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Anyone ever use one of these sling/bipod combos - http://www.slingstix.com/

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

AJMD429 wrote:Anyone ever use one of these sling/bipod combos - http://www.slingstix.com/

Doc,

I have never used the slingstix personally, but was amazed once when I viewed a TV ad on them--they looked like about 3 disassembled flyrods falling awkwardly out of a tube. Also, the "actor" in the ad really had to struggle to set them up and they did not look at all sturdy. I was surprised that the manufacturer would have used this add to try and sell the product.

I have shot several deer using a monopod (don't recall the brand just now) type stick. It works fairly well for the intended purpose and can be helpful for us old guys while traversing rougher country. :)
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

I took the sticks I'd made to shoot Sharps and such off of along hunting a few times. Juggling them and a rifle make it a chore to tote them around, and while they were nice to have for a couple of shots, I pretty much gave up the job as being too much effort for the return.

Got the itch to hunt with handguns, the overgrown sort that are kin to a short rifle, only clumsier to carry and harder to hit what you shoot at. :roll: It didn't take long to figure out that a support would be useful. Found a collapsible/adjustable monopod pretty quickly with what amounted to a padded fork on the end and it makes a pretty good walking stick or staff the rest of the time. Then found a two-legged version of the same that amounts to shooting sticks, only easier to set up for big extremes of length than my old ones and it's much more stable than the one-legger if there's time to set it up. Finally got a tripod version, which I think might've gone a step too far, as the bulk and complexity finally reached the point where it gets in the way of the usefulness of it.

Toting the staffrests around while hunting with a rifle takes things right back to the inconvenience of using the buffalo sticks. However, at least one of mine collapses down short enough to fit in a daypack and it's been a big convenience when setting down anyplace that looks over an area where a longer shot might be taken.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Cat's shooting sticks
http://www.catshootingsticks.com/

bench version
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

When I went on my Antelope hunt I made a bipod set out of two arrows. wrapped the shafts where they crossed with bungee cord, depending on where you slide the bungee cross tie you can regulate the sticks for both prone, and sitting, by flipping it over, for a stool you might have enough length if you cross them near the top.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I made mine with three legs of bamboo, tied together with a long strip of bicycle innertube. Almost free and they really work well.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I have several bipods of various height and, frankly, I don't like any of them.

I don't blame the sticks, they are inanimate.

:oops:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

The only way I come close to shooting sticks is my Harris bipods I use for my rifle. They work great and only require a littte manuevering. Haven't ever used any other type. I could see where they could be a bit cumbersome to carry and get into action fast.
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I don't like them.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Thanks again,
I found out while hiking that I need a walking staff for rougher paths and trails. I'll try a makeshift crossed stick for my travels when near the truck and work with a walking stick while loafing.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I use these two legged one once in a while but i`m not very stead with them, three leg ones would be more stable.

Single ones are worse unless ya can stick them in the ground like with this steel one i made.

Made this one from diamond willow as a walking and shooting stick for a buddy in Wa.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

These are my favorite sticks and you can read the whole story to see why...
http://www.africansportingcreations.com ... remium.php

They are not heavy but are durable and make a good walking staff when folded together.

I also have the Bog-Pod Tripod - I used it in CO in the high country that was covered with deep snow. Again, they made a good walking stick, especially for the up and downs in the coulees full of snow. They quickly make a solid shooting rest and if I "take up a stand" I can adjust them to sitting or kneeling height quickly.

I cannot get the stability with a monopod or even a bipod. The tripod can be as steady as a solid rest if you use it right, and the weight gain is minimaly while the versatility of a walking staff is still there.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member