It's gotta be a sickness!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

It's gotta be a sickness!!

Post by ceb »

Gentlemen, I'm going through a faze. I've been going through my safe and selling off guns i currently have no perceived need for. Going for practicality don't ya know! Part of the reason for this is the lack of any real funds for guns or shooting supplies. As a animal control warden, I make much less than 35 thou a year, but I love the job. Sometimes a desire for something new makes it mandatory to sell something I own to fund it. As an example, I've had a desire for a AR type rifle for some time and with the current political climate in this country and a recent thread here, this set the fires to burning again and with Hobie saying he thought we all should have one, I set out to scratch the itch.

I ended up selling 4 guns, guns that really hadn't been out of the safe in quite a while, a old British Enfield .303, a 1971 built Winnie 94 (desire is for a pre 64), a 1957 Marlin Mountie (that someone had hand checkered somewhat crudely sometime, and besides I had two others), and a really nice Smith Model 29-2 44mag (reasoned I was not going to hunt with it anymore so why just leave it in the safe). I then bought a Colt M4, added a Aimpoint PRO red dot, some ammo and mags. Nice rifle, I like it and its really fun to shoot, though I don't know how really practical it is for me.

Problem is, I've done this for most of my adult life, and I've owned some really nice guns over the years I no longer have. I recall the Colt Diamondback 4", a Smith K-22, a near new Winchester 9422, a original flattop Ruger .44mag and many many more.

And I still do it, my son came by yesterday to show me a S&W Model 29 Classic, he had just bought. I would love to own it (Remember I just sold a 29-2 I determined I had no real need for). It happens over and over again. Truth is I could easily get by with just a 12ga shotgun, a .22rifle and maybe a .357revolver. But this overwhelming desire for something new is always there. It's a sickness I tell ya, a sickness. Anyone else aflicted, I don't think there's a cure!!
Hobie

Re: It's gotta be a sickness!!

Post by Hobie »

I have been on this forum since 2003. I have been shooting since 1961. My enthusiasm for shooting has never waned. Is this a sickness? No. It is just a serious interest. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I feel Your Pain. I don't sell Guns to fund anther Gun,I scrape that up somewhere else.But I do sell Guns to buy "Investments". Just last week I spent $300 on investments of which I will post with Pictures when time allows.
My problem is going over board on something. 10 ARs,come on, do I really need that many ? YEP, actually I'm down to 5 now. I think I might have this Disease under control, thats a Laugh.
There is a Pill for this Sickness but I refuse to take it, a big Nasty thing that is real hard to swallow.LOL Isn't it called Chronic when it just goes on and on ?
Don't worry about selling other Guns, I put My 303 on the table for the first time at the last Gun Show. I've had it for close to 25 Years. Never fired it. It had a lot of lookers but NO takers.
I would Like to say Get Well ! but just caint bring Myself to do it.
I just saw what Hobie posted before I hit submit. That has a nice Ring to it "Serious Interest"
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

I was busy with other things for most of my life and only in last 8 years or so have I allowed myself a bigger interest in firearms..I look at some of you guys with amusement and some with respect....And those of you with big collections serve to remind me that I am okay to have more guns than I need..Indeed , more is better and I can indulge for years more without catching up to most of you fellows......Its a habit ,ain'it?
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I have been on this forum since 2003. I have been shooting since 1961. My enthusiasm for shooting has never waned. Is this a sickness? No. It is just a serious interest.
Serious Interest huh, yeah, I can go for that. Maybe Chronic Serious Interest. Truth is, in at least the last 20yrs or so, I have seldom lost money in these ventures. However when I read something about a gun I have owned in the past, it has led to a serious side effect to this "Chronic Serious Interest" and that would be the Dreaded "Sellers Remorse :roll:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You can't own them all but by trading, selling, exchanging you can experience more of them than if you just bought and held and there will always be the ones you had to let go but always new ones to get. They are at least as good an investment as gold from my experience.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Depends on how the gold is obtained.
I also have too many, someday I hope to get to a holding pattern.
But I also have no heirs, and have started to give them away.
It makes me feel good when I do it.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I agree with a "serious interest". I used to do a lot of trading and buying, but the last 10 years I've pretty much kept what I have and purchase those that really interest me.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

kimwcook wrote:I agree with a "serious interest". I used to do a lot of trading and buying, but the last 10 years I've pretty much kept what I have and purchase those that really interest me.
+1. I have traded several over the years since I first started shooting... And ALL but one of them do I wish I had back. And have spent far more than their original acquisition cost replacing or getting them back. Not again. I set aside a very nominal amount every week for gun acquisitions. I'm talking $10. That's only $520/year... but... It adds up. Ok, so sometimes I add a hundred to make up the final amount for something. :twisted: But I try to keep that minimized.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Everybody has to have a thing - a hobby or interest. I'd say in addition to a relationship with the Holy Trinity (your mileage may vary). Nothing wrong with it as long as other key items in life are also looked after.

Have fun with it!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Hobie wrote:I have been on this forum since 2003. I have been shooting since 1961. My enthusiasm for shooting has never waned. Is this a sickness? No. It is just a serious interest. :wink:
that sounds more like a healthy case of DENIAL...not talking about any river either... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

336BL wrote:
Hobie wrote:I have been on this forum since 2003. I have been shooting since 1961. My enthusiasm for shooting has never waned. Is this a sickness? No. It is just a serious interest. :wink:
that sounds more like a healthy case of DENIAL...not talking about any river here either... :)
Denial is good! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I like to think of my purchases as estate building.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Rusty wrote:I like to think of my purchases as estate building.
Good thinking :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

pwl44m wrote:I feel Your Pain. I don't sell Guns to fund anther Gun,I scrape that up somewhere else.But I do sell Guns to buy "Investments". Just last week I spent $300 on investments of which I will post with Pictures when time allows.
My problem is going over board on something. 10 ARs,come on, do I really need that many ? YEP, actually I'm down to 5 now. I think I might have this Disease under control, thats a Laugh.
There is a Pill for this Sickness but I refuse to take it, a big Nasty thing that is real hard to swallow.LOL Isn't it called Chronic when it just goes on and on ?
Don't worry about selling other Guns, I put My 303 on the table for the first time at the last Gun Show. I've had it for close to 25 Years. Never fired it. It had a lot of lookers but NO takers.
I would Like to say Get Well ! but just caint bring Myself to do it.
I just saw what Hobie posted before I hit submit. That has a nice Ring to it "Serious Interest"
Perry
10 ARs excessive?? how many windows and doors in your place?? probably more than 10.......you need one next to each of them!!! and one for each vehicle, or maybe two for each.....well now you see how it goes. :?
cable
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Rusty wrote:I like to think of my purchases as estate building.
estate building, that's funny...must be a financial planner... :)
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have been known to go through a firearm or two. :shock: :wink:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

rjohns94 wrote:I have been known to go through a firearm or two. :shock: :wink:
Mike, we're more than aware of your "interests". :D
Old Law Dawg