hollow ground screwdrivers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

hollow ground screwdrivers

Post by two bit okie »

Wally world has a red box of hollow ground bits and handle plus philllips and square head bits for a paltry $11.00 in sporting goods with the cleaning stuff and swivels, ect.

before ordering expensive ones, check these out. box says winchester gunsmith screwdriver set. they worked fine for my job replacing a front and middle barrel band on a rossi mod 92.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: hollow ground screwdrivers

Post by olyinaz »

I have one for the range bag and while it certainly works just fine 90% of the time and is a good value, the smaller bits are a bit soft and will twist into junk with reluctant screws. Just sayin'.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

thanks for the heads up.... Better than nothing (which is what i have now!)
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by two bit okie »

chad. my thoughts exactly
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Might be good for the range bag. I wonder if the smaller ones could be hardened?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Oly is right, the little ones are a bit soft but they are handy to have around for tweaking on things. I keep the set I bought behind the seat of my truck.

Eric
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

I finally picked up a couple of these - thanks again for the heads up.

Chad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the tip. I need smaller set for the range box.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I finally bit the bullet and bought a set of thin bits from Brownell's for my LC Smith which has really thin slots. They are a real quality item and I highly suggest them. I can't stand working on something and the dog gone bit twists because it's too soft.
Old Law Dawg
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I have 2 of the Walmart kits that I bought on clearance for $7 each before they changed everything to "Winchestor" badge. My intention was/is to grind some of the bits down for more perfect firearm specific fits but I've yet to do it. Overall I find it a pretty crappy little set but it works and the wife and kids act like they don't know they exist so they are generally where they should be when I need em. Can't say that for my other screwdrivers. Nevertheless I've actually found the good 'ol red handled 4 in 1 screwdrivers you see for about $5 to be handy around the guns. Only 2 sizes of straight and phillips but they are well chosen sizes IMO. Neither the kit nor the 4 in 1 will fit every gun need as is but they work and cost makes em a duh.

LK
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I would grab one. Even if it ends up in the kitchen junk drawer for honeydews.
Cheap Chinese hollow grounds have their place - you can always use them to supersede cheap tapered drivers.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a set. I have replaced 4 bits in the last year due to twisting or breaking them. I have used them on things other than firearms. Harbor freight, Northern Tool and Equipment, Lowe's, and Home Depot all carry a bunch of hollow ground screwdriver bits which can be used to replace the ones in the kit. Yes it does raise the price of the kit over time, but that is done over time so that the cost doesn't seem so bad. I prefer the hardened bits when replacing them since the hardened variety last longer.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

I am pretty clumsy and the first thing I did with one of those hollow ground screwdriver bits was put a nasty scar in my Rossi's receiver. Then, while unscrewing, I etched a ring around one of the bolt holes.

So, now, the first thing I do is grind only the barest corner off the edges of the bit, then rub it around in a peice of emery cloth in my hand to chamfor the edge. It still fits the screw, but if I miss a little, the smooth, rounded edge no longer scrapes the metal on my gun.

Wish I had been more careful, though. Live and learn.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

off today with my daughter - couldn't get her to bike ride, so she's playing Halo and I disassembled a $2000, 130-y-o reel I was hired to clean and refurbish.

You can see where people have buggered the screws trying to loosen them.

I used a pair of nylon-jawed tubing pliers with my hollow ground drivers (sprayed it with Boeshield last night)
and it came right apart this morning

It's a Leonard bi-metal, inner plates and spool are nickel-silver, the rest of the metal is brass.
You can't tell it now for the dealloying, but you'll be able to tell it when I'm done.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Rusty wrote:Might be good for the range bag. I wonder if the smaller ones could be hardened?
I'd say they could, but I've never been able to master the art of hardening. I either get the steel too soft or too brittle.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

here's the outcome - tough to photograph now.
I reshaped the spring with radiused bending pliers and set tempered it.
Someone had bent it to change the winding direction.
The right tools are great.