Youngest finally figured out how to shoot!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Youngest finally figured out how to shoot!

Post by 86er »

Justin has been struggling with shooting. He's tried since he was three, now he's 5 and 1/2. Even though his older brother is only 1 year and 9 days his senior, Justin just never really caught on. Brandon, on the other hand, has been shooting accurately since he's two years old - and lately has been hitting a soda can at 20 yards consistently with his bow and arrows! Anyway, Justin tried to shoot open sights, peep sights, scopes - no luck. He's been extremely inconsistent and erratic, once in a while making a "lucky shot". For almost a year he has lost total interest in shooting and hunting, and he somewhat admits it is due to frustration because he doesn't hit anything. Today Justin just wanted to watch Brandon shoot. Brandon was shooting his Win94 firing 360DW ammo, that is 180 grain @ 1925 fps, at 50 yard targets. Some of the offhand three shot groups were 1.5"! Justin finally couldn't resist and said "Show me how to do it again". This rifle has a scout scope on it, so I loaded 110 grain 38 Special and checked the point of impact. Great day - the 38's are dead on at 25 yards! Justin had to rest the front of the rifle due to the weight, but he became amazed that he could actually see the target through the scout scope. I told him to fire an un-aimed shot just to feel the rifle. He was pleased that there was no recoil and the noise was low with his "ear-mops" on. After a few dry fires, he finally did it! He was able to keep 10 shots in the 8" black bullseye at 25 yards by resting the front of the rifle but otherwise doing it by himself. Interestingly, he likes to lean his head over and look through his left eye, but with the rifle on his right shoulder. I had him shoot lefty and he did just as well, but he prefers the rifle on his right shoulder. This is one of the beauties of the scout scope when it comes to kids. He can use his left eye and not get whacked with the scope. It aint traditional but it's working for now. As he gets better and gains confidence we'll try to keep his right eye open. Now he is interested in hunting - but I told him he's gonna need to shoot a little better and twice as far before we try that. He's motivated. I'm proud that he hung in there and finally did it! It is weird how a certain rifle can become so sentimental to a family.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Youngest finally figured out how to shoot!

Post by C. Cash »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Gotta love it when it all comes together, and they really start to have fun.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very cool Justin and Brandon, great shootin :wink: 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Yee hah!
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Very happy for both you and him! I know how frustrating it is to try to teach little ones something and they just don't get it.

Chris
1894c

Post by 1894c »

"ear-mops"...that reminded me of my girls at that age... -insert tear here - ...glad your son didn't quit, that's a life lesson all by itself...good shooting...good job DAD... :)
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

It's always more interesting when it works.

Way to hang in there!

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Ain't it beautiful when a plan comes together!

Way to keep at it Justin. :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Nice shooting Justin! Isn't it great when your trying to wrap your head around something new and suddenly it just clicks.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Good for him....!

You might have him try a holosight like the Burris Fastfire, or even one of the BSA red-dots; those are also much easier to use for folks who are just starting out.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I have no words. I'm very happy.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Just my opinion, but I think that is one of the "cons" of having youths that young shooting or hunting. I've had my fill of Ed Psych and how people "learn" courses in my lifetime, there are some cognitive processes as well as physical abilities that may effect one's learning, or mastering a task, (the two aren't necessarily exclusive either) that are not developed yet.
In reality, no different than trying to teach Fifth Graders Algebra. (although a small percentage will be developed enough to "get it" some never will at any age)

The risk you run, is one frustrated and then loses interest because of it. Probably compounded in the fact that his Brother can do it, but he can't. Sees his Dad's pride and admiration for the boy who can shoot, "but I am not as good" Becomes self-fulfilling then.
I know of what I speak, I was that boy. Could out shoot brother with a rifle, but not shotgun, and it took me up to about another 20 years or so before I could shoot a shotgun as well as he can. Mostly because I believed for many years that "I just wasn't a good shot"
So I just became the one who couldn't shoot well. No one expected me to hit anything, so when I got "lucky" it was just that.

Just my two cents and means nothing. Fortuneately now he is starting to gain confidence and will resume his interests. You have the know how and skills to teach your kids "right", and the opportunities. My advice, would be to be very patient, and let him gain confidence in what he can master, before moving on to fast. Good Luck and I will get off of my Educational Psychology soap box.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Good show Justin! Now he can go shooting as well as fishing with you. :)

BTW, I am about to do the how-to-shoot-instruction again with a little one- our 5 year old grand daughter just asked if she can go hunting with Troupe and me. Time to dig out the starter .22 and .22 shorts again. Here is Troupe at about 3-4 years age banging away at a target at the deer lease:

CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Well done and congratulations
It is not the critic who counts
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I believe my son was about 6 before he really expressed an interest in shooting. Took to it like a duck to water. And now, consistently whups up on Pops with Pop's guns.

Don't tell him, but ImageImage

Likewise Justin, Image
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Well done to Justin :D

My brother use to shoot right handed but use his left eye, he kept at it and likes a small hunt with me to this day.

Good for you Justin, you and your brother are very good.

Bravo to CRS too :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Good shooting! Sounds like he is left eye dominant
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Both of my kids are cross dominant. I am neither eye dominant. It does make for some interesitng times learning to shoot, but a scope really helps. Sighthunter can shoot a pistol just as accurately left handed as right handed.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Awesome Joe! He's hooked for sure now! :D