It never fails...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

It never fails...

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Nope, my luck pretty much runs consistent - consistently bad - with anything to do with money anyway! If I buy a stock, it is the kiss of death for it. If I sell a stock, it will triple in value in a week!

I didn't think I was first in line for hfcable's Winnie '92 in .25-20, so I ordered a pair of Hi-Power grips from Emeralda. Then I found out I was first in line, and jumped on the deal right away. No sooner than I dropped the payment in the mail box today and got back to my desk my wife calls. She had taken in our vacuum cleaner (a 12-year old Oreck) for repair, and they said it would be $200 - and probably wouldn't last more than a year. So, we replaced it - to the tune of $650! :(

So now I'm about $1425 poorer than I was when the day started. Of course, these things happen - which is why we save. And I'm not regretting that '92 one bit! :D I'll post pictures when it arrives. In the meantime, anyone have any favorite .25-20 recipes they'd like to share?

Oh, and this is my 2,000ths post here on the new forum - saved it for a levergun one (I know - some of you are saying "it's about time! :shock: ).
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Dude...........650 for a sweeper?!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:D
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

a 600.00 vacuum :shock: you could buy 15 decent $40.00 vacuums at walmart, use each one and throw it away after a couple months and still get more than the 2 years you are paying for.

Please don't let my wife know that you can even spend that much on a cleaning machine... :evil:
regards

3T
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote:Dude...........650 for a sweeper?!
I know, I know! That was one of the cheaper ones!

We used to buy the Kenmores or Hoovers from Sears, but they'd only last 2-3 years at the most. Hardly a day goes by - especially with kids and pets in the house - that my wife isn't vacuuming something. We put lots of miles on the sweeper. The old Oreck lasted 12 years - about 5 years longer than the model averages and was warranted for. We use the vacuum a lot - but don't abuse it. The new one is warranted for 21 years. That works out to $30/year. Buying a cheap-o Kenmore ends up costing me 2-3 times that, so I told her to go ahead and pick it up.

My wife fell when she was 38 weeks pregnant with our daughter and shattered her (my wife's) left kneecap trying to make sure she didn't fall on her belly (and the baby). She never fully recovered, so lugging around a heavy vacuum cleaner doesn't work for her. The Oreck's are light, and worth the extra dough.

I can't remember the brand, but a friend of mine once bought one of the ones the door-to-door guys sell. Super-duper deluxe job. This was 15 years ago, and it cost $1400. His wife darn near killed him. It did not last as long as our Oreck! :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

3T wrote: Please don't let my wife know that you can even spend that much on a cleaning machine... :evil:
She does the cleaning. Who am I to complain? Let's just say we have a very, VERY traditional arrangement on the duties at home. If it needs repaired, killed or grilled I do it. If it needs cooked, baked, cleaned, shopped for, chaffeured, etc., she does it! :wink:

It is a lot of money, but I'd rather buy something better and not replace it - I've done the other route (see above).
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Dude...........650 for a sweeper?!
I know, I know! That was one of the cheaper ones!

We used to buy the Kenmores or Hoovers from Sears, but they'd only last 2-3 years at the most. Hardly a day goes by - especially with kids and pets in the house - that my wife isn't vacuuming something. We put lots of miles on the sweeper. The old Oreck lasted 12 years - about 5 years longer than the model averages and was warranted for. We use the vacuum a lot - but don't abuse it. The new one is warranted for 21 years. That works out to $30/year. Buying a cheap-o Kenmore ends up costing me 2-3 times that, so I told her to go ahead and pick it up.

My wife fell when she was 38 weeks pregnant with our daughter and shattered her (my wife's) left kneecap trying to make sure she didn't fall on her belly (and the baby). She never fully recovered, so lugging around a heavy vacuum cleaner doesn't work for her. The Oreck's are light, and worth the extra dough.

I can't remember the brand, but a friend of mine once bought one of the ones the door-to-door guys sell. Super-duper deluxe job. This was 15 years ago, and it cost $1400. His wife darn near killed him. It did not last as long as our Oreck! :wink:
I've led a sheltered life, I guess...I really didn't think you could spend that much, let alone 1,400..Holy Poo... I'm kind of a (single) slob and don't vacuum near enough, but my 150$$ Dirt Devil, no bag, HEPA filter works just fine for me and is 11 years old........but, you guys prolly use yours 10 times more than I do....... I absolutely agree that's it's better to get the one that will last better...........

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

Only at leverguns could a post start with a 92' and go to Orecks! :D :D :D I love it here!

Congrats on the winchester and I am also a fan of the Orecks, Bought one at a estate sale awhile back and I am very impressed!
Break on through to the other side!!!
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Ok, now I feel bad. :oops:
regards

3T
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The big thing for me is that it is light and easy for her to use. I travel so much that I couldn't keep the house as clean as we like even if I wanted to - or she'd let me. As I mentioned before - we are very traditional, and she doesn't like me doing the cleaning. Who am I to disagree? :D
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Can't really say I feel sorry for you, but I hope you enjoy the 92'
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

3T wrote:

Ok, now I feel bad. :oops:
No need to feel bad. I do when I see her vacuuming the stairs and working hard - knowing her knee bothers her still - but she is a proud woman who was taught that her home reflected on her as a mother and wife. As I said, who am I to argue? :D
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Ditch the carpet man. First time you have wood floors and see all the dust, you'll know no vacuum can keep up. Gotta feed them mites them dead skin cells......MMMmmm 'specially the ones from my feet!

I do feel your pain in the wallet though.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

meanc wrote:Can't really say I feel sorry for you, but I hope you enjoy the 92'
No one should - I am truly a blessed man.

I was just commenting on how fate - or Murphy's law - never seems to fail me. I'm not complaining - have no reason to.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

A broken vacuum cleaner......that sucks. Wait, I guess it doesn't. :P
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Alas poor Orick, we knew him well.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

We have a Rainbow vacuum that's 19 years old and still going strong.

My wife insisted that we have tile in our new house and I hate it. The stuff kills my feet and knees.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

YK, you promised us a non OT post and look at what we got :roll:
I reckon you have what it takes to run for Congress ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Congrats on your new purchases that are gun related. Sorry bout the vac. These things are just what murphey hides in his bag of tricks. Its also nice to hear often your love of your family. I enjoy your posts and gain a bit of insight into you with each one.

blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

game keeper wrote:YK, you promised us a non OT post and look at what we got :roll:
I reckon you have what it takes to run for Congress ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Guilty as charged! I guess I'm going to have to repost the question on our favorite .25-20 loads! :wink:

I was laughing to myself as I went to bed thinking about the replies to this post. Then it occured to me that the vacuum cleaner cost more than my first car! Heck, I tossed and turned all night. darn Murphy (of Murphy's Law)!!!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Cant wait to see the 25-20...congrats!
as far as the $650 vacuum......WHAT!
You could go to Lowes and buy her a $10 broom....
But she might take that wrong......
Better stick with the vacuum.....
If mom isnt happy ....aint nobody happy and
daddy doesnt get to shoot his new toy
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Kid, In 10 or 20 years, which will be worth more? :D :D Back in 1975, when my wife and I had the house built, I insisted on hardwood floors. My wife wanted carpeting. Well, I won and to this day we don't own a vacuum cleaner but I have lots of leverguns. :wink: :wink: -----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

YK ,Guess what. As I sit here and type this, I am printing the manuals that go in with the vc you just bought.Small world aint it. The XL21 is a good vaccume.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Two things:

1. Consider a 'central vacuum' - I put one in for maybe $400, and all you have to 'carry' is a hose you plug into the wall. Our house is 28x40, so one outlet on each floor would really do it (hoses are usually 30 ft) but I put an extra one upstairs, and one by the back door so we could vacuum the car with it. So it is VERY light, VERY quiet (motor is in the utility room) and the exhaust all goes outside (you still empty a 10-gallon bag periodically but you can line the cannister with any trash bag so there's no special bags to buy). The actual filter is a foam thing you can just toss in the washing machine every few months. There's also none of that mite-gut, cat-dander smell when you're using the vacuum.

2. Disable any 'luxury detectors' in the home. I had one in my 1968 Fairlane, which I bought for $200; any time an item came home in the car which cost more than $200, the automobile would have some critical part failure which cost almost exactly the same amount as the tape player, chainsaw, or gun I had transported. I learned to have stuff delivered, or ride with a friend at pickup time (you can trade favors, because as long as the detector knows the purchase was someone else's it doesn't trigger the jealousy module). The problem is, I think with the newer electronics these days, your automobile and vacuum cleaner and computer probably can all share information, so you're screwed. I've tried the foil hat thing in case they pick up my brain waves, but it doesn't seem to work, and my head gets too cold in the winter. :shock:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I had to pass on a 53 takedown in 25-20 a few years back in lieu of getting the wife a Kirby G4 vacuum.

My wife has rarely used the vacuum and never in front of me. If she needed something vacuumed she would ask me or my son to handle it. This past Christmas, she wanted to impress her parents who were staying with us so she decided to do some vacuuming. During her attempt, she noted that the vacuum wouldn't pick some things up so she complained to me about it. I proceeded to show her how to adjust the height using the sound the vacuum makes to get it set optimally. After a few clicks with my foot, the vacuum picked the item up from about 4 inches away. At this point she gave me that look, you know the one, so I went on my way.

Later, in front of her parents, she complained that the vacuum was far too heavy to operate and she demonstrated her issue. I smiled and with my right foot I switched the vacuum drive system from Neutral into Drive. I pushed it along with my little finger and said, for the benefit of her parents, that had she learned to operate it over the last 5 years it would not have seemed so heavy all that time.

The smile on my father-in-law's face was a not quite as fulfilling as having that fantastic 53 in my possession would have been ... but it will have to do.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

YES !!! THE YSABLE KID IS MY KIND OF MAN. HE GOES AND BUYS A NEW '92 LEVERGUN, KEEPS THE OLD LADY PREGNANT, BUYS HER A NEW ORECK VACCUM, KEEPS HER BUSY OUT IN THE KITCHEN, TELLS HER TO STFU, AND GET TO CLEANING !!!!
OH FOR THE GLORY OF IT ALL AND THAT OF ALL AMERICAN MANHOOD !!! THERE STILL MAY BE HOPE FOR THIS COUNTRY AFTERALL.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I was going to mention a central system if its feasable in your huse, & if its your house. I dont have one but my mom does. All she's gotta do is cart the hose around & the unit itself sucks big time, in a good way.
I been meaning to try & do something like that here but its a tougher thing because of the layout of my house.

Now, how the heck do you get 2000 posts so quick? :?
How many's Hobie got? :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Rebel1972 wrote:YK ,Guess what. As I sit here and type this, I am printing the manuals that go in with the vc you just bought.Small world aint it. The XL21 is a good vaccume.
You must be familiar with it - I didn't mention the model number, but you hit it right on the head!

We have a combination of flooring in the house. Most of the main floor is hard wood. The upstairs is mostly carpet. Tile in the bathrooms. Cement floor in the basement. Hardwoods need cleaned as much as any other floor surface.

I thought about the central vac, but figured it would be a pain to retrofit the house (we own it) on all three floors. I didn't get rid of the old one - I will jury-rig it and use it in the basement - which is my domain!

Terry, if I said STFU to my wife, I would not be getting any for... ever. That and you guys would never hear from me again! :shock:
:D
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I think you mentioned something about a 92 25-20. I know you will enjoy it, my 32wcf is a real pleasure. Kirk will have some good loads that he has worked up for his.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

aa-1680

and i expect to see some slippers with the 92!
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

You must be familiar with it - I didn't mention the model number, but you hit it right on the head!

I've worked here a little over a year now .I started out putting the screws in the baseplate and putting the rubber bumbers on them.I moved to the print shop where I print all the manuals and flyers for all the vacs and air purifiers and some other products that we make.I love this job. I was a maintenance man at Russell Stover Candies for 10 of the 15 years I worked there .They closed the factory and ,for me at least , it was like being released from prison .I hated that place!I prayed for several years for a job I could enjoy doing and I think I have it now .
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I havent read all the posts here, but my ex made me buy a kirby! Cant remember how much it was at the time, but probley was about $2,000 range in todays money! The ex and others after that all complained it was too heavy etc. Since I remarried I think I have bought about 4 cheaper vacumes. That old kirby could spray paint etc. While reading I just asked my wife where it was. She just told me we gave it to grace resources when we moved!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I looked at the Oreck at the fair......a decent 399 price, but it didn't clean up to the edge of the wall any better than the one I had......I'd pay 500 if one would clean perfectly right to the wall and have an easy hose to get to for other stuff.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Sell me that '92 and your problems will be over! :lol:
.........THE TWINS..........