Scout setup for octagon barrel?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Scout setup for octagon barrel?

Post by foxtrapper »

XS sights just returned my email saying they do not make a rail for my Marlin 1895 cowboy. Has anybody found a way to scout scope the cowboy?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Scout setup for octagon barrel?

Post by AJMD429 »

foxtrapper wrote:XS sights just returned my email saying they do not make a rail for my Marlin 1895 cowboy. Has anybody found a way to scout scope the cowboy?
The barrels aren't real thick, but a carful gunsmith could surely drill & tap four holes for a 'generic' weaver base.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Buy a rail blank and cut it to an approrpiate length. Drill it to use the two forward receiver mount holes.

Buy or make a threaded stand-off of appropriate height that fits into the rear sight dove-tail. Drill a hole on the rail to match.

Viola.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

FWiedner,
Thought I was the only one who thought of that.
The way some of the posts have been going lately, I thought the purists would send a lynch mob for me.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

FWiedner, that's just too darned practical, and the way you describe it, it sounds like it would even be easy to do, AND not cost all that much... 8)

(...that takes all the FUN out of it... :lol: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

AJMD429,
You can buy risers that fit the rear sight dovetails, they can be drilled to make a set/strain screw to hold it in the dovetail.
I have at my disposal a lathe and a mill, etc. so no problem for me.
But a file, hacksaw and some patience will accomplish the task as well.
Think of the arms bizzares in tribal Pakistan, they produce modern weapons with a forge, anvil, hacksaw & files!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If the rear sight dovetail is the correct distance from the receiver front, I would buy the XS LeverScout mount for the RB Marlin 1895 and grind the edges of the barrel-bearing portion of the base flat to fit atop the barrel flat & install it.

FWIW, the XS instructions for installing the LeverScout base on a Winchester 94 called for epoxying the base to the barrel for additional security, besides the dovetail slot adaptor & the two receiver ring screws.

B.S. ! !
Even though I mounted it on a Winchester BigBore 94 Timber in .450 Marlin, I wasn't about to epoxy anything to one of my rifles !

As an alternate solution. I applied a release agent (paste wax) to the barrel & the epoxy to the underside of the LeverScout base to ensure a perfect fit to the barrel top, then shot/hunted with the rifle for two years w/o issue one arising.

BTW, I used a Burris Scout scope on that particular rifle/setup, so scope weight was average for a scout scope.

1894c

Post by 1894c »

Mescalero wrote:FWiedner,
Thought I was the only one who thought of that.
The way some of the posts have been going lately, I thought the purists would send a lynch mob for me.
torches...pitch-forks...lynch mob...please stand bye...your order will be filled in a timely manner... :)