Mossberg - forward thinking or just completely removed ???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Mossberg - forward thinking or just completely removed ???

Post by meanc »

...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
1894c

Re: Mossberg - forward thinking or just completely removed ???

Post by 1894c »

aaahhhhh...the tactical mossberg levergun...been discussed here on numerous occasions... plain down-right UGLY... :(
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Marketing.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It just goes to show CAD computers and drugs don't mix well.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

It's actually quite simple.

This one is good looking.

This one is butt ugly.

Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by two bit okie »

In all fareness, while I agree it is ugly, if it was in stainless, what with the plastic stock and all, it would make a great trail rifle if it had a 16" barrel. easily cared for, easily cleaned. not much to go wrong easier to attach to a pack.

pretty is as pretty does. Slince I cannot walk to do that kind of stuff any more, nothing I would buy. but for folks who like to hike and backpack, nowhere near as threatining as a big handgun.. JMHO
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd just like to have that forend, minus the 'side' rails, for my 'Night Scout' rifle(s). The trend of putting the AR-shorty buttstock on everything doesn't turn me on, because I barely like that buttstock on a shorty AR.

The shotgun there I like, although the 'shovel' handle seems awkward; evidently somebody tried it and liked it though, so until I try one that way, I won't laugh too hard.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

AJMD429 wrote:

The shotgun there I like, although the 'shovel' handle seems awkward; evidently somebody tried it and liked it though, so until I try one that way, I won't laugh too hard.
The shovel handle is meant for door breaching in a LE application - same for that funny looking barrel extension on the front

Mossberg has always had decent military/LE shotgun ideas -- but i have to admit, the levergun is even homelier in this actually photo than it is in Mossberg's press release photos
----- Doug
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Igor says: Yes, shootgun goood, leverguns baaaad. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Mossberg has taken a cherished American tradition and turned it into an indescribably Ugly object of ridicule and scorn... The company seems desperate for market-share, and will go to any cheap, tawdry, ridiculous length to try to achieve that goal..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Yeeechhhh!!!! :shock:

wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Now, following comments come from a guy that carried a Glock professionally and by choice (everyone else got issued Sigs or S&Ws) so I know what that says about my aesthetics.

To me, yeah, they're not particularly attractive. My opinion means zip. if they sell a bunch, and I hope for Mossberg's sake (an American firearms manufacturer) they that do. That means more guys and gals turning walnut and steel (and composites) into guns, therefor more jobs. And more utility grade firearms in the hands of American citizens.

Far as I'm concerned, it's a win-win all around.

And as I've said before, I thought the Taurus Judge concept was stupid, the pistol ugly and the continuing variations less than appealing. But they're selling, so at least gun shops are getting people in the doors. Just wished it was an American gun company that had come up with the concept.

I'm not cracking on anyone but I just say shudder and wince a little and move on. Seen a lot of ugly in my life. Not thinking that's over and done with.

Who knows...someone who's always been in the AR crowd buys a lever and decided he likes it. That's good for us all.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Me no like that gun. Very silly looking.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

To Jeff Cooper's thinking, the lever-action carbine was already about as "tactical" as one could ask for, and didn't make the neighborhood as nervous as the Black Rifles tend to do. All that was needed was a simple way to mount a light, for possible night use..

Moss berg has mashed together two opposite schools of thought here, combining the least worthy aspects of both, at least for the intended purpose..

If this really is the way the corporate brass thinks, then I will not bemoan the loss of Mossberg in the marketplace...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

You know, sometimes the industry needs at least one completely removed company to keep it on its toes. And i'd almost want one of those silly levers just because it's so irrelevant. I'd take it to the range just for the wtf factor :D

Besides, it's not like Mossberg has completely jumped the shark and stopped selling the traditional lines. I think they'll do just fine in the marketplace with the occasional wtf gun to grab them headlines. Seems well played to me.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

If Mossberg should happen to go belly-up, their furloughed "engineers" might find employment in the new wave of aero-space.. They could work on building coal-fired, steam-driven, hypersonic aircraft... The impossibilities are endless...
Regards

Buck

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The guy who approved that for production should have been punched in the groin until he passed out, then woken up for round 2.

I have no issues with the rails, as they're useful, but the stock (on a lever) is just ridiculous. A Hogue-type rubberized or synthetic stock would have been better.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Until now, I kept thinking surely that was a photochop job. Just wow :lol: . However, someone did some market research that justified the attempt so there must be some niche for it out there. If it is a flop, no harm no foul, and those who did get one will find themselves with a unique firearm. I like the idea earlier of buying one and taking to the range just to hear the commentary. :lol: Put my large tac light, bipod, and 6-24 scope from my varmit rig on it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree that it's a very rugged looking functional piece. The purists and Luddites will always kick and scream. I bet none of them are driving a hand crank car or commuting to work on a horse. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe they should tell their wives that the new washing machines have no soul and get her a nice wood framed washboard. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone know what the going price is for one?
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I agree. I like the old stuff, but I'm open to change. I mentioned my Glock. First ones that came into the country had serial numbers AHxxxUS. The '17 I have is CZxxxUS, so that makes me a pretty early adopter.

Shotgun, I like the mount rails on the fore end. Although I wonder what that does to your hand if you vigorously rack the slide 'in the heat of battle'. But the pistol grip has to go, I've hated them on shotguns from day one. Looks 'street' or 'tactical' completely useless otherwise.

Ditto for having the rails on the center fires. Another member has posted excellent pictures on rail mounting and it's something I'm gong to get around to. But the AR style butt stocks - stupid and useless. I'd rather have a composite fore end and butt stock, and the butt stock to be a youth model, or cut down several inches. Makes the rifle that much 'snappier' and easy to handle.

I really think they're not the prettiest pup in the litter. But just for Mossberg's sake, I hope they sell a stack of them.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

MrMurphy wrote:I have no issues with the rails, as they're useful, but the stock (on a lever) is just ridiculous. A Hogue-type rubberized or synthetic stock would have been better.
+1

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright