New to me Colt Official Police

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

New to me Colt Official Police

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Standard .38 Special medium frame DA sixgun, four-inch barrel, smooth as butter and made by Colt in 1950. It was a Seattle police officer's duty weapon for 32 years, and has the usual police characteristics, some holster wear in the blue at muzzle, badge number electropenciled on frame, and outer edge of wood grip worn smooth. Other than that is feels and looks new and the lockup is crisp and perfect. Will get some pics up when I can get her to the range.
I'll be ditching the LC9. I'm a revolver guy, and that's just all there is to it.
By the way, I was reading that these classic service revolvers are essentially Pythons inside, in terms of quality of parts and fitting. I believe it. The DA pull is sweet, but the SA pull is target quality. There's no way you could call any 1950 Colt plain vanilla compared to what's being sold today.
Last edited by Bill in Oregon on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Re: New to me Colt Official Police

Post by Cliff »

Hard to go wrong with that one. My first centerfire handgun was a Colt Official Army, my Dad got it in or around 1922, new. I sure shot a bunch of his and mine handloads through it. It had the six inch barrel, many years later I scored a used (Police Issue) four inch, still great. Enjoy it. Also my first rimfire revolver was a Colt Official Police six inch as a mate to the Official Army model. Shot the heck out of one summer. I wish they still made them. Fixed sights and all. Just Saying.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Cliff, one of these Colts in .22 LR would be simply awesome. I think I would prefer it to a K-22.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have one very similar. Was a Lorain,Oh. PD issued revolver that my grandfather bought after it had been traded
in.
I got it when he died. I was amazed at how accurate it is. Love shooting the .38spl.
I'll have to take a picture of that one.

Have fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I like mine, too. They are pretty neat. I always wanted one in .41 Colt but I "settled" for this one.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Bill, congrats and we need to see a pic of it! Nice one Hobbie!!

Here's one of mine:

They are definately a "minimalist" type revolver - nothing there that you don't need. :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Bill, congrats and we need to see a pic of it! Nice one Hobbie!!

Here's one of mine:

They are definately a "minimalist" type revolver - nothing there that you don't need. :)
I love those old stocks.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Hobie wrote:I like mine, too. They are pretty neat. I always wanted one in .41 Colt but I "settled" for this one.
Mine looks like that but with a little more wear on the grips and finish.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Bill in Oregon -- love the .38 Special and both the Colt Official Police, Detective Special and S&W Model 10 in any barrel length. They served LEO's and the Military for many years and served them well...when push comes to shove i'm a revolver guy too... (see photo of my everyday BUG)... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WoodrowC
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WoodrowC »

My first issue sidearm for patrol in 1973 was a Colt Official Police 4inch. Smooth action and very accurate. A few years later they issued us bull barrel model 10's and all the Colt's and slim barreled S&W's went to the furnace.(Canadian gun control)

I thought that was bad enough, until 1994 when they gave us Beretta's and then all the model 10's and 15's went to the furnace. Just nuts.

Regards, Gerry
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Grats Bill, enjoy it 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Enjoy that new shooter, Sir... :!: I too believe the Special is just find and dandy.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Bill in Oregon,
Great old gun guy, thanks for the post and looking forward to the pics.

Hobie,
If you ever get that 41 you'll find it's not much fun loading for although I did figure out that you can make cases for it from 30-30 brass. You need a lathe though. I know, Starline makes them now but they are the long ones for the hollow base bullet.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Oh yeah, nice find Bill. I'm a revolver guy also, particularly the DA types. That should be the perfect shooter for a fellow recovering from back surgery -- just the right amount of exercise without straining anything. Enjoy!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry