An exciting moment on the fishing stream

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

An exciting moment on the fishing stream

Post by jnyork »

Wife and I went fishing on the Sweetwater, a small river most of you would call a good sized stream, that flows through the high desert country of Wyoming. Our spot is in a very deep, narrow canyon surrounded by tall rocky cliffs and large boulders.

After about 2 hours of very pleasant morning and catching a few trout, we were assailed by an absolutely SCREAMING wind coming down the canyon, blew spray off the river into our faces and made even standing up a chore, so we bailed out and started the 1/2 mile trek back up to the truck.

Almost back, hiking around the side of a steep little hill in deep sagebrush, wife in front with the two little dogs. All of a sudden, she found herself nose to nose, no more than 3 feet away, from a big ol' badger on a little rise along the sagebrush trail. She stopped, he hissed and got his hair all up, she backed off and so did he, waddled off down his hole about 20 feet away. Then we had the session of keeping the dogs away from the hole, but finally got everything under control made it back to the truck.

A person doesn't want to mess with a badger very much. Their claws are ferocious and large, they will rip a large dog to shreds in short order and would do the same to a human if you got within range. We figure if Nancy had made two more steps she would have stepped right on him or kicked him at least, and the result might not have been pretty.

Just another day of life in the West. :P
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: An exciting moment on the fishing stream

Post by Griff »

Musta been just as big a sur[rise to the badger as y'all! Glad to hear no harm came to anyone. Badgers can be VERY aggressive in protecting their turf!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Those dang things can sure get snarly when they want to. Had one make a false charge , and that was enough to elevate your blood pressure for a moment..
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hacked off ground hogs, and coons worry me to death (and have both charged me) I can't imagine a badger :o :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

If they're half as mean as a Honey Badger I'd stay clear of them by a mile. :D

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Seen a couple in captivity when I was a kid... when the keeper put out the food for them they charged each other :o went at it a couple of rounds before they turned around and went to chompin' down their eats as fast as they could ...each eyeballin' the other in the process... :lol:
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Back when I was a kid, camping with the rest of the Indian Guides, I got up one night to relieve myself. Came nose to nose with one, well almost, cus I was really short then. :mrgreen: Darn near scared the pee out of me right there and then. They can make a sound that goes right to the bone, and when a flashlight hits their eyes, it's like they are on fire.

One of the dads tossed a pretty good sized rock in its direction and it waddled off into the dark, snarling and snapping the whole way.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

My father was out in the desert near Tucson, trekking down a wash bird hunting with an Air Force buddy, when that guy's cocker spaniel was drug into a hole by a badger - never to be seen again. Badgers and similarly bobcats - two of nature's fearesome'est not to be trifled with.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have seen the skeleton of a badger, and from the teeth and claws, I am not really interested in havng a fight with one. I would back off if possible.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Glad you got the dogs away before that Badger engaged...
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

guido4198 wrote:Glad you got the dogs away before that Badger engaged...
Us too, poor little guys are only about half the size of the badger, if that. The one didn't want anything to do with the situation, the other went chasing off after the critter and we had to speak very sharply to him to get him to get back. Mom loves her dogs like they were her children, would have been a real tragedy.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

When I was about 15, our farm dog got in a fight with a badger. I watched for about a minute and during that time, the badger kept sinking its teeth into my dog's neck and hanging on until it tore loose. That made me nervous and I started fearing for my dog, so I went back to the house, got the .22 and dispatched the badger before it dispatched my dog. Ever since then, I've had a lot of respect for the fighting ability of a badger and I would never mess with one with my bare hands, that is for sure.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

When my dad was a kid in the Yakima Valley, his farm dogs got into a fight with a badger. He said that the snapping and snarling went on for a long time during the night. In the morning, there was about an acre of alfalfa flattened, the badger was dead in the middle of the trampled area, and three of his dogs were licking their wounds, which were many. He said that the problem for the dogs was that they would bite the badgers hide, which is very loose, and the badger would turn toward the dog and tear him up with its teeth and claws. That was a testimony to me that you don't mess with a badger, period!
ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Sounds like you were fishing in the Devils Gate section of the Sweetwater.
OPS
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

ole pizen slinger wrote:Sounds like you were fishing in the Devils Gate section of the Sweetwater.
OPS
Way, WAY upstream from there.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Never leave home without your medium bore handgun :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Dave wrote:Never leave home without your medium bore handgun :D
Not to put to fine a point on things, but it's "Never leave home without your LARGE bore handgun". One never knows who or what one might meet during the course of the day, regardless of whether you are in the city or the country. Big holes are usually better than smaller ones.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Saw a badger shot with a 30-30 at fairly close range once, he sorta fluffed up and then snarled as if to say "stupid human you shot me with that little pea shooter?" Second round he didn't think was so funny tho... Never try to skin one in the summer time if you want to spend any time around other humans for a couple of weeks....
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Do not mess with the badger!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jeepnik wrote:
Dave wrote:Never leave home without your medium bore handgun :D
Not to put to fine a point on things, but it's "Never leave home without your LARGE bore handgun". One never knows who or what one might meet during the course of the day, regardless of whether you are in the city or the country. Big holes are usually better than smaller ones.
I figure that in most cases/places my SP101 with 180gr stompers (and a snake load) should suffice.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!