Burris scopes- good, bad?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Burris scopes- good, bad?

Post by Bis »

My son is getting a new rifle (300 Win. Mag.) and needs a scope. He has done a lot of research and is hearing good things about the Burris scopes. He does not have unlimited income so he wants the most bang for the buck. I though it would be better to hear from real world people that have used these scopes. So please let me know what you think about them. He is not looking for exotic just a 3X9 probably 40mm with some type of mil type reticles.

Thanks

Ken
when your enemy is within range so are you
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Burris scopes- good, bad?

Post by madman4570 »

Have a Burris fixed power 4X Short Mag on a 45-70 I like a lot!
It is a fine scope.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If he gets one of the combo deals with the scope and the binoculars he will be quite satisfied with both....
I like Burris optics and the only time I had to have something fixed, they did not fix it they replaced it...
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The best way to find out the quality of any scope is to ask a gunshop owner (preferably a friend who owns a gunshop :wink: ) and ask him what keeps coming back for warranty work. I have two good friends who own gunshops and they tell me that Leupold no longer is the "King of the Mountain". My buds claim Burris is a decent scope but you know which brand seldom comes back to the shop for warranty work?----------Nikon

They are priced similar with Leupold holding the high ground on price---scope for scope as there is a huge price range on everyone's models.

When I equipped my M1-A, I told my bud I wanted a good long range scope that will take a beating. Without question, he recommended a Nikon mildot 4.5 X 14 which I bought.

Don't buy any $100 scope as its like putting cheap tires on a Vette. Your son will have problems with it sooner than later. $250 or 3 will buy a nice Nikon--------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I have had good luck with the pistol and rifle scopes
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

When I worked at a Sportsmans Warehouse, we had several Burris scopes that went back for work, and came back not working. I'm sorry to say it. Leupold may not be perfect, but we never had a case of Leupold not getting a repair right the first time, and their service cannot be beat. Nikon is a good scope, although the least expensive line can be recoil sensitive.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have three Burris and two Leuopold. All have been outstanding optics.
Can't pick a favorite between the two. I ride them both hard and put them away wet.

Jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rat patrol
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rat patrol »

Burris is a great scope. Had the 3x9x40 on a .338 win mag. I've also owned Swarovski and Schmidt & Bender. IMHO, I would buy a Swarovski before the others...S&B are unreal in clarity and very heavy where as Sworvski and Burris are close in weight for a comparible model but in my experience the Swarovski had better clarity and light capabiltiy when compared to the Burris. Again the S&B was way beyond compare but the weight was the killer....34mm tube, 4x16x50 PM II (I had it mounted on a .338 Lapua).
US Army 1989- 2001
formerly with F/51st INF LRSC
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

Thanks everyone for the imputs. I will relay the info.

By the way I like my Nikon and it is on a Ruger #1 45-70 loaded hot.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I've been to the Greeley, CO Burris facility and I have one Burris 3x9x40 Compact scope on a 308 Sav99 rifle. The scope has held zero for 5 years since it was sighted in. Every time I decide to use it, I check it and it is spot-on like any good scope should be. The Burris lifetime warranty is pretty good but not quite as "no questions asked" as Leupolds. Also, Burris make at least 3 "levels" of scope in price and quality. The lowest level represents a good value but less quality control and durability. The next two levels tend to be very good.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

While Burris scopes aren't bad, they're not good either - they're EXCELLENT ! ! :mrgreen:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It seems with scopes, there are two groups of opinions:

a) the folks who say anything but Leupold, no matter how non-critical the application, is junk, and
b) the folks who try to match the criticality and application to the cost/brand.

I'm one of the latter, and have used several Burris scopes over the years with complete satisfaction. I don't perform long-range counter-sniper duties in sub-zero and desert climates after dropping from a helicopter, though (at least not that I can admit to in public :o ).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

AJMD429 wrote: (at least not that I can admit to in public :o ).
:lol: :lol: :lol:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've been keeping an eye on Redfield since Leupould took over the company....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

AJMD429 wrote:
I don't perform long-range counter-sniper duties in sub-zero and desert climates after dropping from a helicopter, though (at least not that I can admit to in public :o ).
well that explains those extended periods when we don't hear from you...semper fi... :)
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:I've been keeping an eye on Redfield since Leupould took over the company....
bought one...like it...:)
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

I have a Burris FFII 2-7x35 on my Marlin 444 ..... works great !!

Cheers,

Carl
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have the 2-7 and 3-9 Redfields made here in Oregon. I like them and the reticle.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've only heard one story about Nikon: The customer service didn't want to honor the warrenty for a buddy of mine. IMO, most of the scopes are pretty good, but I look for the eye relief...I don't care for scopes to begin with, and getting smacked over the eye makes me real irritated :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Sixgun wrote:The best way to find out the quality of any scope is to ask a gunshop owner (preferably a friend who owns a gunshop :wink: ) and ask him what keeps coming back for warranty work. I have two good friends who own gunshops and they tell me that Leupold no longer is the "King of the Mountain". My buds claim Burris is a decent scope but you know which brand seldom comes back to the shop for warranty work?----------Nikon

They are priced similar with Leupold holding the high ground on price---scope for scope as there is a huge price range on everyone's models.

When I equipped my M1-A, I told my bud I wanted a good long range scope that will take a beating. Without question, he recommended a Nikon mildot 4.5 X 14 which I bought.

Don't buy any $100 scope as its like putting cheap tires on a Vette. Your son will have problems with it sooner than later. $250 or 3 will buy a nice Nikon--------------Sixgun
I've got to agree. For the money, the Nikon Monarch series is hard to beat. Similar priced Leupolds just aren't as good. Yes, it will set ya back more than the Burris but the old saying, "Spend as much on the glass as you did on the rifle." still has some merit. I got my son a Nikon Monarch 4-16x50 BDC for his Savage .223 for long range p-dog popping and it is superb.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Doc and 336, you guys made me laugh, sitting in Terminal in Toronto. Love that dry humor. I have had good luck with a Nikon Buckmaster and a Vortex Diamondback. Both on 30-06's.

I have no experience with Burris optics.
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dogngun »

I had one that was part of a "package rifle"-a Savage 110. I think I still have the scope even though I sold the rifle. I used it on a .22 LR bolt action, but decided to return to my old Tasco 4x fixed. The Burris never gave me any trouble at all, I just found it was always at the wrong magnification, which does not happen with a fixed power scope.

I actually wish I had kept the rifle, too...I sold it because it was in .243, and I wanted to go to all .308, which I have.

mark
The GOP/teabag party - Anti American AND stupid.
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

Thanks again everyone for the replies. It was a big help.

Ken