Bullet Lube for 45/70 cowboy?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Bullet Lube for 45/70 cowboy?

Post by EdinCT »

I am trying to switch to the 330 gould bullet for my 1895 cowboy,but it seems to be running out of lube. I have leading at the end of the barrel and no star of lube at the muzzle with RCBS rifle alox.
I'm loading 42 grains of reloader 7 with a 20/1 alloy. Any commercial lubes you can recomend?
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bullet Lube for 45/70 cowboy?

Post by Pitchy »

I use this with no problems.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

If you cannot find what you might want, use the old formula. 1/2 beeswax and 1/2 olive oil or similar oils. Also might want to put a lube wad under the bullet, over the powder, put a piece of parchment (baking item) under the wad of lube, to keep it out of the powder. Works great for black or smokeless. Just saying.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Best anywhere...http://lbtmoulds.com/
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I use Lyman's Ideal Bullet Lube for my handgun caliber stuff, up to 1400fps, but I'm using a much harder bullet. BUT, IMO, when casting & sizing rifle bullets in the summer, the BEST source for lubes and lube info is Thompson Bullet Lube Co. I've used their Blue lube for going on 35 years. I try others, but keep coming back to them.

Grease cookies are great with BP to keep fouling soft, but; I think you need either MORE lube ON the bullet or a harder (read less viscous) lube and/or bullet. Harrd to get MORE lube ON the bullet w/o modifying the mold. Lyman makes a high performance lube, "Orange". I haven't used it. I've used "LBT Blue" with great results for my .30-30 & .45-70 cast. And for hi-speed stuff, do check out Thompson's!

42 grains of RE7 is well below max, but; with only a 20-1 bullet, and a longish barrel, you might be running a bit faster than you think and need a higher performance lube than Alox.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Take a look at White Label lubes:

http://www.lsstuff.com/

They have lubes of various hardness at very reasonable prices. I have been using the BAC (stands for beeswax, alox, carnuba) in my 1873 and 1876 Winchesters, both with 28" barrel, with good results.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Is the problem that more lube is necessary due to the extra barrel length?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Thanks for the replies. Pitchy I tried the SPG with no luck but I may of caused my own problems by using straight wheel weight metal when I did. Now with 20/1 the Gould casts .459.
I noticed that the Lee 340 gr which drops the same dia.shoots just over an 1 1/4 at a 100 yards and leads very little. This was with pufflon filler and the 42 grs of reloader 7. When I shoot the Lee I see the lube star at the muzzle. If the Lee had a bigger melplat I would hunt with it.
I have used Lyman or even older Ideal molds for years in the 32 spcl and 38 wcf and had no problems, but am thinking this my be a little small for the Marlin.
I have even used a Walthers wad under the Gould with no results. I will say it shoots ok for the first group of 5 into maybe 2 1/2 inches, but leads badly after that.
I have heard good things about LBT soft blue but hate to buy 10 sticks to try if it doesn't do any better than RCBS alox.Maybe I should sell the Gould and buy a Ranchdog mold and gas checks and try them.