More levergun opinions needed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

More levergun opinions needed

Post by Pitchy »

Hey fellers i need your opinons again about the old model 94 Win. i just got.
As you see someone shortened the mag tube on it, looks like it was done long ago.
I can get a new tube, tube ring and spring, screws ect. for around 100.00.
Would you change it back or leave it as is?
Also if i got a new tube couldn`t a guy steel wool the bluing on it to make it look old?
Thanks.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Re: More levergun opinions needed

Post by hightime »

I'll bet it would be hard to get color right. I'd leave it as is.

Owen
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I would 100% put that longer tube back on it! Never quite got the popularity or appeal of short or button mag'd guns--especially ones done after the fact--always look like they're missing something, and are! (Yes I know most state's hunting regs limit (used) capacity, still...how about the other 9/10ths (+) of the year?...one of the beauties of the rigle to begin with.). Different strokes...I guess. Lighter? Yes. But not enough to count, even loaded with a few more rounds. That persickety on the weight? Load less rounds as you might have to anyway three weeks out of the year. The extra length of tube doesn't weigh enough to spit at.. Others cite accuracy not having a banded or hung tube attached. If so, enough to effect 100 yds minute-of-critter? Guffaw. (Not opinionated on this matter much am I? :) )

Can't help you on the wool. I would think yes if 000 or 0000 judiciously applied, but let's wait for someone who's actually done it!
Last edited by gak on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

hightime wrote:I'll bet it would be hard to get color right. I'd leave it as is.

Owen
+1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Weighing in again. Yes, it would be difficult to get it spot on--but who's this for? You've got the spare tube, have fun with it. Screw up? Either do it over again, get another or leave it be as suggested. OR, if someone here has done the wool (or other) to good effect, I'd ship it off and have it done. Make it how you want it. The default is always there anyway to fall back on - what you've got as is. This isn't that hard (a decision) - in favor of playing with it, IMO.
--
Edit: or find a well used mag tube closer to the desired old finish to begin with. Lots of options here shy of, well, a shy mag tube!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I would change it and not worry it didn't match. If that bothered me, would age the tube a bit. What ever it is that floats your boat. Mine has the full tube (same year as yours I think) and it's what I prefer.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks for the opinions, another 100 bucks is an issue also.
I like it the way it is alright and i think that was popular in the day.
The other thing is why someone shortened it to begin with, everything looks to be there as far as the hole for the tube screw and the dovetail for the hanger. Randy would you measure the approx length of the dovetail for the tube hanger. Maybe this one got loose of filed out who knows, they have a home made blank in it now.
This measures 3/4 at the smallest and 13 /16ths in the bottom.

Thanks
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

If you do do it,,,,,,,,I bets it don't shoot as good!

There, I said it :lol:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

lif it were mine, i'd leave it as is......better balance and often better accuracy.
cable
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Pitchy wrote:Thanks for the opinions, another 100 bucks is an issue also.
I like it the way it is alright...
Then I wouldn't sweat it. I'm obviously in the "put a full tube back on" camp," but perhaps wait 'n take your time til you find one that better suits your budget, the finish you want or both (it'll come along)--if you decide it "really needs" the tube back on it after all.. In the meantime, I wouldn't wait and I'd gather any of the hardware pieces as you find--or at least stumble upon--them, just in case. Can always sell those (but I can't imagine :) )
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Tough decision. First of all, given how accurate that rifle is, anything you do to it may reduce accuracy. Also, I happen to like half mags and really like the looks of your rifle. On the other hand, as a collector, I would try to find a used tube mag and hanger to re-install to bring your rifle back to original condition. That front hanger does not come straight out sideways, you have to rotate it a part turn before it will come out of the dovetail. All this to say that I'm not sure what I'd do.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks for that info Kirk i didn`t know that, that hanger is the worry.
Leaning toward leaving as is, hate to lose that accuracy it has.
Teddy would like it. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I would restore it... if the mod that was done wasn't permanent... as in the drilling of new holes, etc. If it were (and I can't see the mag plug without a hole under the barrel for the mag cap screw); I'd leave it along.

I don't care particularily about half or button mags... but that shoots so well... tough decision... glad it's only my opinion you're wanting, not instructions! :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Pitchy wrote:Thanks for the opinions, another 100 bucks is an issue also.
I like it the way it is alright and i think that was popular in the day.
The other thing is why someone shortened it to begin with, everything looks to be there as far as the hole for the tube screw and the dovetail for the hanger. Randy would you measure the approx length of the dovetail for the tube hanger. Maybe this one got loose of filed out who knows, they have a home made blank in it now.
This measures 3/4 at the smallest and 13 /16ths in the bottom.

Thanks
Randy i not asking you to take your hanger out, just a approx measurement.
Guess my 76 and 92 are the same and they measure about 3/4 on the long part.
Sure glad you told me about turning the hanger Kirk before i went and ordered one that would of been for a oct. barrel and wouldn`t of worked i take it.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Unless I really planned to SELL it, I'd first shoot off the bench to see the maximum accuracy potential as-is (using a scope since my eyes are old). If I didn't think making it 'original' would make it more accurate, or surely the same accuracy, i'd not do it, unless I just planned to sell it, and thought the more 'original' configuration would increase the sale price.

The only other consideration would be if it were my 'homestead defense' gun, and I really needed the extra round capacity...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

AJMD429 wrote:Unless I really planned to SELL it, I'd first shoot off the bench to see the maximum accuracy potential as-is (using a scope since my eyes are old). If I didn't think making it 'original' would make it more accurate, or surely the same accuracy, i'd not do it, unless I just planned to sell it, and thought the more 'original' configuration would increase the sale price.

The only other consideration would be if it were my 'homestead defense' gun, and I really needed the extra round capacity...
Apparently ya missed my 1919 model 94 thread bro, gun is super acurate as is.
That would be one of the worries about changing it and have plenty of high cap. guns for HD.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I really prefer the look of the short magazines. I don't like the look of poorly fit dovetail fills. How obvious is the fill on the old hangar's dovetail? If not terribly obvious, I'd leave it as is.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

So so, not bad.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i also wonder if this is a factory half octagon/ half round barrel to begin with or was it turned down to that configuration when the magazine was shortened? if so there would be little point in 'restoring' it to the full length magazine anyway. factory half oct/half rd barrels with full length mags are fairly uncommon, though i have certainly seen a number of them.
cable
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Hmmmm. That piece that is filling the spot where the front hanger went makes me wonder if the original round slot is still intact or not. They did a nice job of filling it. To remove it, if it is installed the same way as the original hanger, gently tap the front of it one direction and the back of it the opposite direction. The blank should rotate within the slot. I would be a little nervous about messing with it, however. I might wreck that nice filler piece.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I`m not messing with the dovetail filler as it`s been there for a long time. If i`m not going to restore the tube i`ll leave it alone.
I`m pretty sure this barrel is factory half round half octagon as the hole for the cap screw is there also.
There is no evidence that this barrel was turned later hfcable, if the barrel was turned after the tube was shortened there wouldn`t be a dovetail or screw hole there.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Since the gun shoots so well, and you like it as is and aren't so concerned about collector value. And don't have $100 bucks to just "throw at it" for some reason--I'd say Leave it Alone. But that's just me.

Nice rifle by the way-congrats !! :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I would leave it as is - it is the same configuration as my Win. 1894-1994 which shoots great and has the short tube.

Last edited by Old Savage on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Pitchy wrote:I`m not messing with the dovetail filler as it`s been there for a long time. If i`m not going to restore the tube i`ll leave it alone.
I`m pretty sure this barrel is factory half round half octagon as the hole for the cap screw is there also.
There is no evidence that this barrel was turned later hfcable, if the barrel was turned after the tube was shortened there wouldn`t be a dovetail or screw hole there.
that is right , i was just wondering. does make it a rather rare bird.
but i still like it just like it is.
cable
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I would agree, Pitchy. The honest looking wear on your rifle barrel and the old dovetail, suggests the barrel is original. I also think it is probably a good idea to leave it as is. It is amazingly accurate, the hanger filler is nicely done, and the rifle looks great as is, at least in my opinion.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks for all the replies, will leave it as is.
OS that`s a nice rifle, there`s a new one just like it at a local shop, they want 1,500 for it.
:)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I'm hopping on the leave it alone side. The slender looks of the half mag and half round barrel are nice. As it sits now it's a rifle that someone cared so much about that they had it altered to this configuration. No doubt a work of art in thier eyes. To try to change it back, it would probably never look like an original, and the gun would look as though the owner was embaressed with it's looks and tried to cover some flaws. It's a nice gun keep that way.
To quote an aging Bones, "You treat her like a Lady, Son, and she'll always bring you home."
Click Click Boom
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I'm with the leave it alone people. I really like the look and especially the accuracy. My old 25-35 SRC had the magazine shortened when I got it and it shot little bitty groups that were gone when I put the full length magazine back on about 50 years ago. Ran across that old short magazine tube the other day, think I'll just change it back.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Don't mess with a good shooting rifle. That gun looks good as it is.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Just leave it alone, it looks great, if it starts to bug you to much then I strongly suggest you put it at my house. I'm just trying to help.
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I would leave it as it is. I can't see what you would gain messing with it, there are plenty of other rifles with full mags underneath...
That rifle plainly had a lifetime just the way she is.
That kind of configuration was popular back in those days - at least in '92's anyway where I come from, you have a hard time finding full mag rifles from that era, everything is a button mag or 'sporting' rifle configuration mostly.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Half magazines just don't look right, get a replacement then antique it yourself with vinegar. You can dilute the vinegar a bit with water and apply it to the magazine end that is covered by the forearm to practice just how much, and how long to leave the solution on the magazine tube. Wiping it with a rag after the vinegar has had a chance to soak into the bluing will lift the new look from the bluing. After you get the desired look, clean the tube well with a good oil, probably WD-40 first as it will lift the water, then oil it with something like Break Free to make sure the acid from the vinegar is completely gone.

It isn't hard to do and you will be amazed at the results, which no one will be able to notice...
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I like the looks of the button mags. They seem to say "I don't need all that extra ammo."

Plus spending an extra hundred bucks and taking a chance on screwing up a good shootin rifle don't do much for me. You might not be able to undo it once you start. That filler is pretty clean looking as is.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks everyone for the replies both ways, as i said i`ll be leaving it as is.
The cut down tube is part of the original one and it was shortened many years ago.
Gives it character. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.