Went Shooting Yesterday, posting a day late & dollar short

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Went Shooting Yesterday, posting a day late & dollar short

Post by Griff »

I just shot a great monthly match with Doc Holliday's Immortals near Griffin, GA. With borrowed guns; a fellow shooter lent me a pair of Vaqueros and a Rossi 92, along with a Spartan double so I wouldn't be TOO out of sorts! And supplied the ammo! Get ready to pick yer jaw up off the floor; I was 2nd in Senior! And yes, there were more than 2 of us! I even got a paper to prove it!

I'm blaming the lack of a win on the guns! I ain't real sure, them stainLESS guns just might not be missLESS! I had 2 misses on the day, never more than 1 per stage, so at least I wasn't stringing misses together! Both with the little carbine, (I'm used to a 24" octagon rifle). Maybe a more scientific study is needed!

The Vaqueros felt HUGE compared to my Colts. Neither had been modified overly much, triggers were crisp and went off when I yanked on 'em. And what can I say about the Rossi '92... t'were loant from the fellow that authored up one of the best guides to DIY slickin' of the Rossi '92.

Regardless, if you like cowboy action shootin', DHI is a club you wanna shoot with. There are a some real wizards at Gunfighter & Duelist... impressive to watch. A struggle to keep up spotting for them!

Hot... did I mention the heat? But not to worry, it wad a WET heat! Think evaporative cooling. For July and August, I'd recommend sunglasses! Nobody warned me... when I walked down to the range, I screamed, "MY EYES, MY EYES!" Shorts & hawaiian shirts mean white, hairy legs! But, like they said, 90º and up, + heat index, means a real threat for heat exhaustion... Fun, fun bunch! I look forward to my next visit, you will too. I only had one person try to 'splain "cowboy shootin'" to me! One of the things this club does that's a little different, is that they set up a "side stage" where you can shoot yer guns before the actual matches to get them "1st stage jitters" under control.

Whether you've been cowboy shootin' for a while, or this would be your first trip, I have one piece of advice that I sure wish more folks would cotton to. DON'T BE BASHFUL! Everyone of those folks started out as brand new shooters to the game. Some (maybe most) didn't know a soul, and some will remember very vividly their first match. Whether they muddled their way thru it, or someone took them under their wing and helped them get thru that first match. And most folks will tell ya that if they didn't, they sure wished someone had taken them under their wing to help them out. (I musta looked like I needed extra special help, as I remember both of the folks that made sure I understond what was going on and gave me hints and helps that first match)! And if you've been doin' it awhile, you never know who you just might be friends in common with!

If you're still comtemplating going out to a match, don't do as an fellar I never had the opportunity to meet did. He called just about the time I moved to TX, and said he wanted to cowboy shoot, but didn't have all his gear. At the time that was one 6-gun, one rifle and shotgun. But, he said he didn't have period correct clothing either. For four years he'd call and tell me he was waiting for this or that, and would be out soon. I didn't hear from him for a while and called him. His widow answered the phone. We chatted for about an hour about cowboy shootin' and what it meant to her husband to have it to look forward to. What bothered me was that he had the guns, jeans, boots and even a shirt or two... but they weren't styled in the old west fashion... but they were legal to wear. She told me he'd only been sick about 6 months, and biggest regret was not coming out after we first talked... but he was proud, and didn't want to stand out as a "newbie". I KNOW I tried to dissuade him of that notion, but apparently not well enough. So, please, if you're thinkin' it, DO IT! We never know when our Lord will call us home. I don't doubt that he'd want to have some good honest, wholesome fun in the meantime.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Went Shooting Yesterday, posting a day late & dollar short

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote:So, please, if you're thinkin' it, DO IT! We never now when our Lord will call us home. I don't doubt that he'd want to have some good honest, wholesome fun in the meantime.
Good advice for life in general, Griff...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very cool, or should i say HOT. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Griff I've got an old Navy buddy from Griffin that use to drive over the road.....name is Bill Varnado (spelling may be wrong)..have not seen him since November '73 in San Diego.....he liked to hunt if I remember correctly......maybe he was there...

rick
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

With borrowed guns...
I suppose, with all the places you must pass through to get the load delivered, that it ain't kosher to carry all the match equipment in the truck for such opportunities? (Just in case?)
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Glad you had a good time Griff. There are good folks all over our country.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Way to go Griff. Might have to sneak up and check this out in August. Tried to take my brother inlaw shooting last week but was Shanghi'd into taking my son and his daughter to the zoo. We had a blast none the less.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

That's awesome!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Good shootin Griff!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Sounds like you had a great time :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hey Griff - glad you had a good time and a successful shoot.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...