Should I even try BP in my leverguns?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Should I even try BP in my leverguns?

Post by hightime »

I have poped a few in my '73 rifle. I'm interested in shooting a few from my 1895 Marlin Cowboy 45-70. I know it's fun, just wondering if it's worth the mess and if it's harmful in the long run. I've heard that that is not as big a problem as the old days, as the old primers were the real culprit back then.
I'd like these guns to be arround for several generation beyond me. By the way they are all new. Ubertis, Winchesters, Marlins, Savage.

Owen
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Re: Should I even try BP in my leverguns?

Post by hightime »

I do shoot BP, but mostly in my repro. Sharps

Owen
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Why Not?? change the lube on cast bullets for B.P and go for it. just clean them up Good. :D .
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I had fun shooting black in my 86 and Colt Single Action. I never used anything but hot tap water on a series of patchs to clean up, then some dry patches to get the metal dry. After they were completely dry I'd oil them. I never took either apart, was no need to. I threw the cases in a pot of water on the stove on low while cleaning the gun, then drained them and laid them on a towel mouths down to dry, then loaded them when I had time. Never cleaned cases, they got dark but it didnt seem to hurt them any.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Why not? I've even used it in my .357 Rossi just for (lack of) Kicks... 8)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I wouldn't shoot black powder in my smokeless lever guns. I clean my blackpowder guns religiously, but it's just about impossible to not get "some" corrosion problems even if miniscule.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Sure why not? What would be the difference between a levergun and any other gun fired with bp?
Don't forget to clean the cases.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I do from time to time. The first couple of times I went to the BP area to shoot, some of the "regulars" told me I couldn't shoot on that range, cuz it was BP only. I ignored them and continued to set up.

Now me being me, I waited until one of the annointed went to talk to the RO about getting me moved, if not removed from the range entirely for not paying attention to them. About the time the RO got there I fired off a round. Imagine his surprise when this big ole cloud of smoke came rolling out the end of the barrel.

I guess I could have been nicer and told the self appointed gods of the BP range I was shooting PB loads, but they just set me off with their attitude. They ignore me these days, wihich is just fine with me.

As to clean up, it's no more difficult than any other repeating firearm that shoots BP. Heck, I sometimes think it's easier to clean BP than smokeless. Well, at least until my wife catches me putting my BP pistols in the dishwasher. :mrgreen: Hey, it cleans and dries them.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I've been getting the idea because some seem to hint that some guns actually shoot more accurate with BP. Is that true?

Owen
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Some do some don't. If you get everything to working well with a blackpowder load you'll get something between 2 and 5 fps shot to shot variation, sometimes maybe as much as ten... Smokeless loads seldom get that tight.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

It opens up a whole new world in our game. After shooting smokeless only for over 40 years, I have been playing with it recently. Due to my background I had no issues from the git-go in order to make my leverguns shoot accurately.

The only downfall is that it takes longer to load the ammo and you must bring a container of some sort filled with Simple Green--whatever---to drop your fired cases in. Clean up of the guns is just as easy--but a little different.

I also recently started to use it in silhouette competition. Here's vid of me shooting an original 1892 SRC in 38-40 using black. Up until this point, before the match, I don't think I ever fired more than 50 blackpowder cartridge rounds and about 30 of those were in getting this src sighted in.

The Pa. silhouette State Championship is next month and yep, for pistol cartridge, the '92 loaded with black will be with me.-------------Sixgun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gs6LvI6yZU
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

.45colt wrote:Why Not?? change the lube on cast bullets for B.P and go for it. just clean them up Good. :D .
[dumb question mode on]

Why does the lube have to be different...???

[/dumb question mode off]
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:
.45colt wrote:Why Not?? change the lube on cast bullets for B.P and go for it. just clean them up Good. :D .
[dumb question mode on]

Why does the lube have to be different...???

[/dumb question mode off]
Petroleum-based lubes can (but don't always) react badly with BP creating a crud that makes cosmoline look easy to remove...

It's easiest to be safe & use an "organic" lube...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Black powder loads make more heat than smokeless. The "crayola" lube that most cast bullet makers use just won't cut the extra heat. Also, there must be sufficient lube to make it to the end of your barrel. SPG is the black powder shooter's lube of choice but you can make your own. I use toilet bowl waxes and olive oil melted in an old percolator.

I have been known to put a "cookie" of my lube under a normally lubed bullet just to be able to use them up. I shoot little of anything but black.

Don't try to clean up with one of those "black powder solvents". It's been my experience they seldom work and I have seen barrels ruined after being let stand after using them. Hot water is all that's necessary though I like Ballistol mixed 10:1 to clean with and for water displacing/lube after cleaning.

Cases should be deprimed before washing. Detergent and HOT water. Don't let them lie around for very long either, corrosion can quickly weaken your brass. I have used the jug of water/degreaser to drop cases in during a match but now days just wait until evening to get them soaking.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I shoot black in my uberti 66 and my Turnbull 92. Both clean up just fine. I believe that a full case load of FFG and the 44-40 chambering leads to very little to no blowback in the action.
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richardx »

Yes, it adds to the fun! I shoot it in SAA's, NM Vaqueros ss, '73 Repro, '92 repro ss, '97 12 ga. repro, 12 ga. twice barrel carbine.

The Holy Black actually cleaned the smokeless stain off the front of the cylinders, (my wife is P.O. because my pistols look better than hers...she shoots the new powder).

My '86 clone in 45/70 shoots better with Unique--go figure.

Just carry a jar of water with dish washing liquid in it to drop your empties in and they will start the cleaning process on their own.

Hot water, the hotter the better, will clean the guns well, then just lube 'em up.

O.T. hot water cleaned a out a ton of copper out of my Garand when I got it.

Richard X
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

JB wrote:I wouldn't shoot black powder in my smokeless lever guns. I clean my blackpowder guns religiously, but it's just about impossible to not get "some" corrosion problems even if miniscule.

Its not the same really. A Muzzleloader gets the fouling all over the place. A levergun shouldnt have ANY fouling except in the bore, nothing should get in the action at all. Thats why we see so many 100+ year old leverguns in good shape other than the bore. If the fouling got into the actions like it does the bore not many of them would still be around. I think thats why we see much fewer old BP revolvers in servicable shape, the fouling in them would get into the action pretty regular.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Leverdude wrote:
JB wrote:I wouldn't shoot black powder in my smokeless lever guns. I clean my blackpowder guns religiously, but it's just about impossible to not get "some" corrosion problems even if miniscule.

Its not the same really. A Muzzleloader gets the fouling all over the place. A levergun shouldnt have ANY fouling except in the bore, nothing should get in the action at all. Thats why we see so many 100+ year old leverguns in good shape other than the bore. If the fouling got into the actions like it does the bore not many of them would still be around. I think thats why we see much fewer old BP revolvers in servicable shape, the fouling in them would get into the action pretty regular.
Pretty much. It's also why I DON'T shoot much BP in my .357 Rossi... because I've found there is still a fair amount of gas leakage around the cartridge and into the action with modern .357 brass. Maybe it's just too thick to seal properly with only 16gr BP...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

My Uberti 357 absolutely loves 38 spl rounds loaded up with 777. I shot my Rossi 357 today with 777 and it register as very consistant on the Chrony, however, I find cowboy load with universal and some TP wadding is more accurate.

For cleaning, I saw a geezer who had pre moistened patches for BP cleaning. He said that's all he used.

I don't take a chance. I soak my pisols and hose warm water through my rifles. Then, I use a water displacing oil on everything. I'm trying Blaster from Tractor Supply because it claims not to evaporate like WD40.

If I have to use WD40, I follow it up with gun scrubber to remove it after it has removed the water, then I wipe every part down with Remoil.

I'm one of those guys who learned shooting in the army, so I break down the guns completely to clean after every shoot. Takes hours, but I like it.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Leverdude wrote:

Pretty much. It's also why I DON'T shoot much BP in my .357 Rossi... because I've found there is still a fair amount of gas leakage around the cartridge and into the action with modern .357 brass. Maybe it's just too thick to seal properly with only 16gr BP...
Nothing against BP as such but my conclusion was the same , some will get back in the action . And I'm not overly happy about what I'll have to do to "try" and clean it all out . If I don't shoot it I ain't gotta worry with it !

To each his own , if a person wants to do it thats great . Just not in any of my rifles .

Now in a couple period ML's I have sure . But thats about it for me .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nope, don't do it. :P NOT only will you begin consuming precious supplies of this rare and profoundly moving substance, but you will become addicted and be unable to stop. :twisted:

You will begin selling off your smokeless only cartridge guns, or being experimenting with things like 3F in your .45ACP and a 1911. That quickly leads to... well... if not complete insanity, then a willingness to sell your 1911s so you can buy more period correct BP revolvers. And I don't mean more as in "qualitative"... I mean more as in "quantitative". The smell of burned sulphur and BP cleaning agents (hot water), will begin to erode the very fibre of your marriage vows. Your wife will begin to understand the limits of that "or worse" phrase, and begin to question her resolve. Your childrren will be become mere encumberances to another trip to the range; their school needs become secondary... to your acquisition of first an 1860 Henry, then a Spencer, oh, gee... look! Now there's a cartridge available in the 1876 reproductions! After you have wrung out everything you can in a .45-70 1886 Winchester, you start looking longingly at the .45-90, then the .45-110 and -120. Then you discover that they produced original in a couple of FIFTY calibers. At about the time that a fourth mortgage is applied for, you wife will have decided that "enough is enough", and filed for divorce.

No, don't shoot BP thru any of your leverguns, even once! All of the above WILL happen. :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Griff wrote:Nope, don't do it. :P NOT only will you begin consuming precious supplies of this rare and profoundly moving substance, but you will become addicted and be unable to stop. :twisted:

You will begin selling off your smokeless only cartridge guns, or being experimenting with things like 3F in your .45ACP and a 1911. That quickly leads to... well... if not complete insanity, then a willingness to sell your 1911s so you can buy more period correct BP revolvers. And I don't mean more as in "qualitative"... I mean more as in "quantitative". The smell of burned sulphur and BP cleaning agents (hot water), will begin to erode the very fibre of your marriage vows. Your wife will begin to understand the limits of that "or worse" phrase, and begin to question her resolve. Your childrren will be become mere encumberances to another trip to the range; their school needs become secondary... to your acquisition of first an 1860 Henry, then a Spencer, oh, gee... look! Now there's a cartridge available in the 1876 reproductions! After you have wrung out everything you can in a .45-70 1886 Winchester, you start looking longingly at the .45-90, then the .45-110 and -120. Then you discover that they produced original in a couple of FIFTY calibers. At about the time that a fourth mortgage is applied for, you wife will have decided that "enough is enough", and filed for divorce.

No, don't shoot BP thru any of your leverguns, even once! All of the above WILL happen. :twisted:
:lol:

N :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I can't wait.

Owen
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Griff wrote:Nope, don't do it. :P NOT only will you begin consuming precious supplies of this rare and profoundly moving substance, but you will become addicted and be unable to stop. :twisted:

You will begin selling off your smokeless only cartridge guns, or being experimenting with things like 3F in your .45ACP and a 1911. ...

Hush now. I have NEVER... well, almost never semi regularly :? ... shot 4F :o in my 1911... (works better than 3F) 8) ...

And shooting BP is yet another of those "little" reasons I like Stainless Steel guns. Cleanup with boiling water is so much easier when you don't have to worry about rust as much... :twisted:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Leverdude wrote:

Your probably right about the brass. Not only the case thickness but straight wall. Originally these guns used very thin brass bottleneck rounds that sealed up better. Maybe another reason why nobody chambered 45 colt in a levergun until recently, though 45 brass is pretty thin too.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Leverdude wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:
Leverdude wrote:

Your probably right about the brass. Not only the case thickness but straight wall. Originally these guns used very thin brass bottleneck rounds that sealed up better. Maybe another reason why nobody chambered 45 colt in a levergun until recently, though 45 brass is pretty thin too.
Yeah, I've found that the best way to get anything close to a seal with .357 BP is to use non-nickled brass and 4F instead of 3F.

Fortunately I have many, many pounds of 4F...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

My grandson and I shot BP 45 Colt tonight. It was fun. I like the sound, it's different. seemed accurate. It was eiser to clean than I thought it would be.

Owen
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

It's a blast :mrgreen: ain't it.
Did you notice how the entire gun heats up more than when shooting smokeless?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Don McDowell wrote:It's a blast :mrgreen: ain't it.
Did you notice how the entire gun heats up more than when shooting smokeless?
Perhaps this is where the saying "Happiness is a warm gun" came from. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I don't have any problem with British Petroleum, but I don't use their products on my guns - too many good local products out there.

:D

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

BP....LOL!

Yes, that's the first think youg Jake said. The barrel is hot.

Owen