Good quailty, inexpensive 12 ga SS?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Good quailty, inexpensive 12 ga SS?

Post by abcollector »

I don't know if I'll go through with this idea but I was just thinking about a 12 gauge SS shotgun. I don't know anything about them but here are some things that it would need to meet.
Qualify as a C&R firearm
Prefer American made
Price ~$400
Ideal if it had improved modified/ full choke
26"-28" barrels
Two triggers
Use would be small game hunting, any type of protection and be available similar to a "truck gun". I would like to use brass shotgun shells but don't know anything about them. Are they blackpowder only? Would a damascus barreled gun handle these?

Am I asking too much?
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Re: Good quailty, inexpensive 12 ga SS?

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

American made in your price range might get you a used Stevens/Savage model 311.
I have also owned Russian made Baikal SxS, and Brazilian made Stoeger/IGA Uplander SxS.
Both were workhorses built solid and reliable but don't compare them to a Purdy or Holland & Holland.
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firear ... lander.php
http://www.ussginc.com/pdfs/USSG_2011Catalog_p16.pdf
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

at our target range they have a couple on the wall for sale, about the price you ask. I can't remember the brand but I think it was a major maker. You might want to call them and ask. They look nice, wood stocks, fairly short barrels. The Target Range - 818 787-4373.

I didn't notice at first you're in Saugus. The place I mentioned is in Van Nuys, if you have interest you could go see them.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My wife has the Remington by Baikal. 12 ga. with 22" bbls. I think. Very tough little gun specifically aimed at SASS shooters but I think they make a longer version too. I use a Beretta SxS with 26" bbls. but it ain't cheap. Good gun though.

I use the brass shells to load black powder in but they can be used with smokeless too. Just load what you like. Don't even need a loader, you can use a piece of wooden dowel rod to push the wads in. I seal the over-shot cards in with water glass. You know, stop leak from the auto parts store. Elmers glue works too. The wads you need vary with the brand of shells you get. You can contact the wad maker with your needs and they will know which wads you need.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

abcollector wrote:I don't know if I'll go through with this idea but I was just thinking about a 12 gauge SS shotgun. I don't know anything about them but here are some things that it would need to meet.
Qualify as a C&R firearm
Prefer American made
Price ~$400
Ideal if it had improved modified/ full choke
26"-28" barrels
Two triggers
Use would be small game hunting, any type of protection and be available similar to a "truck gun". I would like to use brass shotgun shells but don't know anything about them. Are they blackpowder only? Would a damascus barreled gun handle these?

Am I asking too much?
An older Savage or Stevens would quality as C&R, American made, and under $400. Of course they're a cheap made gun, but any double in that price range isn't going to be a high quality gun. New or old. The Russian guns would be in that price, but not C&R. But you're back to a lower quality gun. The Russian and cheaper South American guns will probably due fine for most average hunters, but they won't hold up for hard use like a better made double will. I've watched several of them die on the skeet and trap ranges.

I'd avoid the old damascus barrels unless you're just after a wall hanger or you're going to be limited to mild black powder loads. Those wouldn't be my choice for something that would also serve as a protection gun.
Last edited by JB on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Not made in America (made in Brazil)for the $$$
Get a Stoeger Uplander(built like a tank)
They even can be found used(excellent shape for around $250)
As for being rugged/durable------as rugged as my O/U Red Label Ruger or my Browning

If you are he## bent on American here is a 28" 12ga 3" M/F 95% Stevens 311 that will go for about $220 (ain't no Stoeger though in the tough dept.)but should easily work.
http://www.ktpguns.com/firearm.php?gid= ... a=&SeeAll=

Why not this though for around $240---???????

http://www.ktpguns.com/firearm.php?gid= ... a=&SeeAll=

Won't regret the O/U and with screw in choke tubes.
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firear ... condor.php

If its to be mostly HD/Truck Gun/with some upland hunting(just get a Steoger Outback with screw in choke tubes. :wink:

If it's to be (upland hunting gun #1)of ALL my shotguns a vintage Winchester 37 Single is without question the finest carrying/pointing/shooting gun have ever shot.(28" barrel/Modified choke/Mfg 1938)
Only need one barrel with that. They can be found for around $250 and that is a vintage American Classic.
Good luck
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a Baikal SxS. Built like a tank.
Elmers glue works too

I thought I was the only one that did that. When I was 18 and broke, I loaded the same shells so much the crimp end wore out, so I cut little over wads out of thin stock, and Elmer'ed them into place....I was sure it would blow up, but it worked perfectly. I'll bet I shot the same 50 hulls 40 or 50 times doing skeet.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Check out Lefever ,American made and should c&r. Check gun broker, guns America
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas. This would be neat to get into (like I need another hobby!). One thing among many here in CA for me is the hassle dealing with FFL dealers and having a firearm shipped to them. Some (many?) won't do it and if one will, charge enormous fees, hence needing to be C&R. The Stoegers look pretty good. Does anyone know about the L C Smiths? The Winchester 37 looks doable but I'd like to see one in person first. There certainly some neat looking, simple shotguns out there. Thanks for the recommendation for staying away from the damascus barrels.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Another option would be to find store branded side by sides.

IIRC the Blue Book of Values has a cross reference list, but most of the major manufacturers made firearms for department stores, auto stores, etc. They weren't quite as finely finished, but the price reflects that and most should be C&R.

The ones that stick in my mind at the moment are J.C. Higgins and Ted Williams (both for Sears) and Revelation (Montgomery Wards IIRC).
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

BTW, I'm watching Tombstone right now. I REALLY have the urge for a "street howitzer"... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

El Chivo wrote:at our target range they have a couple on the wall for sale, about the price you ask. I can't remember the brand but I think it was a major maker. You might want to call them and ask. They look nice, wood stocks, fairly short barrels. The Target Range - 818 787-4373.

I didn't notice at first you're in Saugus. The place I mentioned is in Van Nuys, if you have interest you could go see them.

Just stopped by there today, these were Stoegers, $499.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."