Quick reload for a SA revolver

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Quick reload for a SA revolver

Post by Irelander »

My first SA revolver - a Ruger Vaquero - should be arriving today and since I am new to SA revolvers, I have been thinking about quick reloads for such a weapon. Is there a special technique to getting your SA revolver filled back up in a hurry if need be? Not that I expect to be in such a situation with this gun anytime soon but I am used to semi-auto pistols where the name of the game in defensive training is to always keep a topped off magazine in the gun and reload as fast as possible. From the western movies I have seen (which is not a good example of real life situations, but all I have to draw from right now) to reload, they just find some cover and reload in a "safe" location. Maybe there is no hard-fast answer to my question but its something I have been thinking about.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Quick reload for a SA revolver

Post by AJMD429 »

One thing about the Rugers is the older ones would slow you down if you accidentally turned the cylinder just a bit too far before pushing out the empty - it would come out far enough that you couldn't just skip it by turning the cylinder more, but hit the frame by the loading gate. It took a bit of a knack to learn just where the cylinder needed to be. I believe the newer Rugers have a different mechanism that avoids this problem, though.

If I really had to use a SA revolver where I anticipated the need to reload really quickly, I'd have spare cylinder(s) to just swap in. You can learn to do that quickly and smoothly.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Order a extra and carry a pair. On those rare days were I thought a fast reload might be nice I've carried my little Beretta jetfire as back-up. It might not be much but the little 25 shoots pretty good and might keep there heads down while your reloading. I've seen some guys with .45acp S/As carry extra ammo in auto magazines and thumb them out as needed, or some use the old rubber speed strips to keep ammo in one place. Carry your sixgun in places you can relax in or carry a backup. Have fun.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

In the old days they carried a second revolver. Nothing so fast as that. It seems to me that if you need fast reloads, a SA loading through the gate is NOT the right choice. Now, I'm presuming the gun is not chambered for the .45 ACP. Our own Jim Taylor can reload SAs so chambered so quickly that he's got a bit of a reputation for it. He uses a speed loader, aka 1911 magazine...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

When I carry my old Colt 5 1/2 " .45 I alway remember what Elmer Keith said about quick reloads with an SAA, "after a couple of rounds from a .44 I figure I'll have plenty of time to reload".
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Not sure about speed, seems slow to me, but I use a speed strip with my .44 that is in the avatar picture. I carry it loaded with 5 (its a 5 shot) and the speed strip has 6 ready to load. Keeps them all pointing in the right direction, can strip one off at a time and works great. I got mine from simply rugged when I ordered the pouch to carry two full strips on my belt. When I carry two strips, i usually have snake shot on one, and full power lead flat points on the other or buffalo bore "deer grenades". In the pistol I carry Buffalo Bore personal defense rounds for normal woods walking or camp protection, or deer grenades if hunting. Snake shot is used during bird season for snakes or follow up shots on wounded birds trying to make their way through corn or such.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Try an extra loaded cylinder for a reload. Works on black powder, should work for the SA that are convertibles.
It is not the critic who counts
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I'd bet if I carried a extra loaded cylinder I'd manage to dump the loaded rounds out of it in my pocket or on the ground, I don't like the idea of removing the cyl. anyhow gun being apart and all. better to practice shooting and reloading as you go. Just a thought.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Try a plastic or PVC tube of the proper diameter, cut to the right length. Seal one end and arrange for a "cap" for the other and carry cap-up in a rear pants pocket or belt sheath for a small flashlight. After unloading, pull, pop the cap off and rotate the cylinder as the rounds feed from the tube as its pointed downward. Semi-wadcutters are best left for slow, manual reloads. I doubt that it would be welcomed at the next CAS.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

AJMD429 wrote:One thing about the Rugers is the older ones would slow you down if you accidentally turned the cylinder just a bit too far before pushing out the empty - it would come out far enough that you couldn't just skip it by turning the cylinder more, but hit the frame by the loading gate. It took a bit of a knack to learn just where the cylinder needed to be. I believe the newer Rugers have a different mechanism that avoids this problem, though.

If I really had to use a SA revolver where I anticipated the need to reload really quickly, I'd have spare cylinder(s) to just swap in. You can learn to do that quickly and smoothly.
Look out, all you know what is about to break loose. I brought this up a few weeks ago on the Ruger Forum http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 3&t=153677 and got pretty well shutdown. But, I'm going forward. I've been practicing with my Single Six and swapping the .22 lr and mag cylinders. I've gotten right speedy, and I don't drop the rounds out while doing it as some suggested I would. I'm in the process of getting my .45 colt Blackhawk to Ruger for another cylinder. It's going to run around $200 dollars with shipping, cylinder and fitting.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've watched some guys reload single actions, and all I could think was

Oh

My

Gosh!!!!!!!!

Slow as january molasses. They often look like they've never handled a sixgun before, it looks like they're fumbling along trying to figure it out as they go. It's painful to watch.

The way I do it may not the the only efficient way, but it works. It only takes a couple-3 seconds to clear the empties. I put the butt into my solar plexus, hold the gun and rotate the cylinder with the left hand, and run the ejector rod HARD with the right hand, literally slamming the empties clear. The empties end up on the ground about 4 feet to my left/rear, going out under my left arm. I then reload from a cartridge belt, only pulling two at a time, or from a pocket without too many rounds in it, six is perfect in a pocket, and don't try to handle all six at once, I think it's generally quicker to handle less and fumble less. I have the regular (old?) new model Rugers, I rarely ever miss a hole when ejecting or loading. I'm pushing the rod as the chamber comes around, it's rubbing the cylinder face as it comes around, then slams the empty out.

I've heard the theories about holding the gun in the right hand and doing all the complicated manual motions with the left hand. That's all wrong to me, besides all the wasted motion, the right hand is the "smart" hand,and can run the ejector rod and handle and manipulate cartridges much better. The left hand is the "dumb" hand, and only holds the gun and turns the cylinder.

I'm not lighting by any means, but the only time I had to reload under time constraints was a tie in a shootoff with another guy. I dumped all 5 empties, reloaded two chambers and shot the stop plate before the other guy had even gotten the empties clear of his gun. He was one of the fumblers. He wasn't a bad shot, it just seemed he'd never given any thought to reloading practice.

Shoot a few thousand rounds through your single six to practice and it will be second nature when you shoot the big guns. I practice what I want to do in the field, I forget the empties until I'm all done shooting, they are the last thing I want to deal with when time is of the essence. You'll likely never develop speed in your reloading if you baby the empties. They are cheap in the big picure if you happen to lose any. That's a cheap price to pay to develop good habits.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The key to a fast reload on a SA revolver is the emptying phase. And the key to that is the condition of the chamber, your brass and the loads you use. Too hot, and the brass swells and is difficult to extract. Lighter loads where the brass just falls out is what you need. Grab some more and if you align them well in your palm, you can just trickle them thru your fingers as your other hand rotates the cylinder. Takes longer to tell it, than to do it.

Edited to add: Oh yea, before you laugh at the "light load" detail... try standing in front of them. 185 grain @ 850fps., .452 as they leave the barrel. They will do a job.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Years of practice, until your muscles and brain come into line. :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

walks with gun wrote:I'd bet if I carried a extra loaded cylinder I'd manage to dump the loaded rounds out of it in my pocket or on the ground, I don't like the idea of removing the cyl. anyhow gun being apart and all. better to practice shooting and reloading as you go. Just a thought.
I would agree. I know Josey Wales carried extra loaded cylinders, But if I tried to remove a cylinder and replace it with a full one, quickly, I would surely drop the cylinder pin and the gun now with a full cylinder would be useless...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

If you want a fast-loading SA revolver, one of these might be right up your alley! :D

http://www.taylorsfirearmsstore.com/russian.htm
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

I remembered seeing this when I bought some QuickStrips for my 629. Too bad they only have 5 rounds.

http://www.tuffproducts.com/product.php ... 265&page=1

Be tough to carry these around in your pocket though.

Glock Certified Armorer
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

Hobie wrote:Our own Jim Taylor can reload SAs so chambered so quickly that he's got a bit of a reputation for it. He uses a speed loader, aka 1911 magazine...
I wonder if a Desert Eagle 44MAG magazine would work the same way. Hmmmm.

EDIT: This might work
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-MGPMMAG04

Glock Certified Armorer
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dogngun »

I find it is a big improvement to carry a loaded Speed Strip. It makes it that much more handy to start the cartridges and they are all in one place-you don't have to fish around for each one. I have carried a SAA at various times, and I feel comfortable doing so. I have been shooting various SA revolvers for almost 45 years and know how they work and they are very accurate for me. I may not have a fast reload, but those first 5 targets are in deep trouble.

Practice shooting, unloading the empties and loading at the range- slowly, till you can do it smoothly. Keep in practice regularly, and you will get better at it and the time will take care of itself. There is no quick substitute for practice and experience with a SAA, but it is fun, so that is not a real burden...

Enjoy.

mark
The GOP/teabag party - Anti American AND stupid.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Washita wrote:If you want a fast-loading SA revolver, one of these might be right up your alley! :D

Yep, for speed, topbreaks are the way to go. Blend old and new by using speed loaders and they are right quick. But, they tend to be a bit clunky looking IMHO, and I like topbreaks what with being a southpaw and all. I've used HKS speedloaders with my H&R 999 to good effect.

Of course, it isn't nearly as impressive as a quick cylinder change. Oh, and Eastwood didn't exactly do a quick reload. He walked quite a distance while changing cylinders. Had it been me, I'd have emptied my revolver into him right about the time he had the spend cylinder pulled and was standing there with little more than a really un-aerodynamic chunk of steel to throw.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

blackhawk44 wrote:Try a plastic or PVC tube of the proper diameter, cut to the right length. Seal one end and arrange for a "cap" for the other and carry cap-up in a rear pants pocket or belt sheath for a small flashlight. After unloading, pull, pop the cap off and rotate the cylinder as the rounds feed from the tube as its pointed downward. Semi-wadcutters are best left for slow, manual reloads. I doubt that it would be welcomed at the next CAS.
This makes sense but might be too long, what, about a foot long? How about making yourself a dispenser on your belt similar to a change dispenser?

A small box of six rounds stacked, with an opening at the bottom. When you angle the box downward, the bottom round slides out, and the others drop down and slide out one at a time. Perhaps with a spring to push them out.

Basically like an auto mag held upside down.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

jeepnik wrote:
Washita wrote:If you want a fast-loading SA revolver, one of these might be right up your alley! :D

Yep, for speed, topbreaks are the way to go. Blend old and new by using speed loaders and they are right quick. But, they tend to be a bit clunky looking IMHO, and I like topbreaks what with being a southpaw and all. I've used HKS speedloaders with my H&R 999 to good effect...
As the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I, for one, LOVE the look of the old break-top S&W SA's. I admit, tho, that their break-top DA's were kinda homely.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I learned a lot watching a young guy named Thell Reed run a single action back in the old days. He could unload a Colt SAA so quickly there would be four or five empties in the air at the same time.

I studied and practiced and found out it could be done with a lot of work. I used a standard Colt SAA in .45 Colt .. a Ruger Blackhawk - old model- in 357 Magnum and an old model Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt.

For me these are much easier than the new models. As you roll the cylinder on the old model, when it "CLICK's" you are lined up with the ejection port.

I got to where I could consistently have at least three empties in the air at once and sometimes four. I never got as fast as Thell Reed. He was something to watch. But I was fast enough I could compete in PPC with my single action right up to the last stage.

I could not manage twelve shots in ten seconds .. or whatever it was. It was durn fast. But I could hold my own against double action shooters up to there.

I used a PVC "Drop Tube" like has been previously mentioned for the reload. Except on my ACP gun... that little gun was quick ... I used a magazine from a 1911 bottom-feeder to reload and it was durn quick. That was my CCW gun for quite some time.

Look up Thell Reed. If you can find some video of him performing you won't believe how fast he was. He was a real gunman.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Jim,

I did qualify with my Colt SAA in .45C. Our PPC last set was 18 shots from the 25 yard line. I don't remember what the time limit was, but my last shot musta been the signal for the end buzzer, 'cause it was close! It was also the lowest score I'd ever fired, but far from the lowest score that day!

I used a dump pouch; with lots of practice you can learn to get them aligned properly without looking at them.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Griff .. I believe when I shot it, it was twelve .. but I could be mistaken. I know once I did it with an extra sixgun hidden in my boot .. fired the first, dropped it in the holster and pulled the second gun and emptied it. Got lots of protests and they wouldn't accept it .. but it worked.

Great work Griff. Not many people learn how to handle a sixgun properly. I shot Cowboy Action for quite awhile and was amazed at how people who should know better fumbled and pulled cartridges with their fingers and generally had a hard time unloading a simple single action.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Since everyone has trouble with the base-pin walking out unless the retainer is very tight the idea of changing cylinders is not going to work. Besides, you can reload faster than you can change cylinders. One trick is to pull two cartridges at a time, load the bottom one first, then the top one. I'm in the habit of holding the SAA in my right hand while shucking empties and letting them drop into the palm of that holding hand. The fingers under the gun rotate the cylinder. And yes, a properly timed SAA will line up the chamber and the loading port when the hand falls into the next ratchet notch. Rugers can be fitted with the free spinning pawl to allow rotation of the cylinder either way. Good mod to have.

And on the Colt and clones, be sure to tighten the screw that holds the ejector rod housing to the barrel. I have seen any no. of them fly off under recoil. This is a good place to use Loc-tite. Grip frame screws tend to loosen too but since there are five of them the gun doesn't fall apart. OK, six but the bottom one doesn't actually hold the grip frame to the gun.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS