AZ Hunt Draw Results

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

AZ Hunt Draw Results

Post by Dave B »

Yesterday morning I found out that I drew a Dec. Unit 30B WT tag. Last year we only saw 2 doe with 2 fawn just north of Bisbee on our way home from the Nov. hunt in that unit.
I will be using my 348 and my step-dad will borrow my 7-30 Waters. I hope we do well and are able to share photos.
Did any one else here in AZ draw a tag?

Dave B
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: AZ Hunt Draw Results

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

congrats and good luck!

I am assuming thats for muley
or coues deer, or is that to far north?
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Congrats!!

My buddy drew an elk tag for somewhere around Flaggstaff/Sedona, but couldn't go due to medical reasons.......He was very, very upset.... :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

RIHMFIRE wrote:congrats and good luck!

That would be for White-tailed (Coues) Deer--hence the WT on the hunt number.

Original Poster: Be sure to check your "loyalty points" statement if any. I have a friend who is zealous about checking (he has been an auditor for many years) all his "bonus" points in the many hunts/states in which he applies. Both he and his son somehow "lost" their deer points in AZ this year. If he hadn't caught the error his future chances of getting drawn would have diminished. If you don't pay the extra money for bonus points you'd have nothing to worry about. I don't think I particularly like the idea of bonus points.
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Batman1939 wrote:

Original Poster: Be sure to check your "loyalty points" statement if any. I have a friend who is zealous about checking (he has been an auditor for many years) all his "bonus" points in the many hunts/states in which he applies. Both he and his son somehow "lost" their deer points in AZ this year. If he hadn't caught the error his future chances of getting drawn would have diminished. If you don't pay the extra money for bonus points you'd have nothing to worry about. I don't think I particularly like the idea of bonus points.
Rimfire,
We we be hunting Coues Deer. I haven't had any look before hunting this deer and look foreward to my first coues buck.

Batman1939
Regarding bonus points:
As I understand it, if you do not draw, you will get a bonus point to help increase your odds of geting drawn next year. You are charged the application fee, but are refunded or not charged the tag fee. Each year that you put in and do not draw, you will get another point.
If for some reason you will not be able to hunt in a given year, you can still put in for a bonus point buy pay the application fee only, not the tag fee.
If you miss a year, you will still have your points.
Now there is a loyalty point for applying for X amount of consecutive years (I think 5) hence, another reason for the apply for the bonus point.
Once you draw though, you loose (or use up) your points.
There is a bonus point that you receive for taking the hunter education course. I am not sure, but I think that you keep this this point forever.
If you do not draw, you can purchase a left over tag, you do not loose your points since you did not use the points to increase your chance to "draw" this tag.
Again, I am not an expert on this, this is what understand and I could be mistaken.

Dave B
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

BlaineG wrote:Congrats!!

My buddy drew an elk tag for somewhere around Flaggstaff/Sedona, but couldn't go due to medical reasons.......He was very, very upset.... :(
BlainG,

Sorry to hear that your friend missed out on his hunt.
I hope that he is able in the future.

Dave B
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Congratulations! That 7-30 especially should be good medicine for them. There's a great round!
I hunted Coues/Whitetail (unsuccessfully) in the Chiricahuas south and east of there a few years (almost flooded out once--sure wish we'd see that kind of rain again soon!). Very wiley critters, and unlike the mulies, they don't stop broadside and look at what's shooting at them.

Further north in the Mazatzals between Payson and Phoenix my buddy and I swore we saw (what we thought were) two whitetails more the size of healthy mule deer at about 4000 feet--they were leaping 3/4 view at best and we didn't have a good shot; we mostly saw two very big and what looked to be very white flags with no black to the rump/tail. Someone who had been with Game & Fish said they're primarily mulies in there (and what our tags were for) but they could've interbred. Not sure if he was just blowing (or inhaling) smoke, but we never did get a straight official answer from anyone. As I said, our shot opportunity was poor, but given the above description, we weren't sure we could have shot them anyway. Anyone familiar with that territory and/or the likelihood of interbreeding in there?
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

gak,
I don't know if the deer can interbreed. You would think that if they can, there would be more info out there on this subject. I do know that we have units with both species.

Dave B
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Batman1939,
Some of the members on Cousewhitetail.com are talking about missing bonus and loyalty points. It seams that this happens on the system when the results are posted and G&F corrects it.

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums ... opic=34155

Dave B
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Dave B wrote:
Batman1939 wrote:

Rimfire,
We we be hunting Coues Deer. I haven't had any look before hunting this deer and look foreward to my first coues buck.

Batman1939
Regarding bonus points:
As I understand it, if you do not draw, you will get a bonus point to help increase your odds of geting drawn next year. You are charged the application fee, but are refunded or not charged the tag fee. Each year that you put in and do not draw, you will get another point.
If for some reason you will not be able to hunt in a given year, you can still put in for a bonus point buy pay the application fee only, not the tag fee.
If you miss a year, you will still have your points.
Now there is a loyalty point for applying for X amount of consecutive years (I think 5) hence, another reason for the apply for the bonus point.
Once you draw though, you loose (or use up) your points.
There is a bonus point that you receive for taking the hunter education course. I am not sure, but I think that you keep this this point forever.
If you do not draw, you can purchase a left over tag, you do not loose your points since you did not use the points to increase your chance to "draw" this tag.
Again, I am not an expert on this, this is what understand and I could be mistaken.

Dave B
Dave--What you say seems completely correct. I've not applied for an AZ big game tag in 16 yrs since moving to MT where I do my hunting so don't know about some of the newer innovations (like the loyalty point-which I think is a more recent development).

Good luck on your Coues hunt; they are a great species to hunt. I killed a 105" buck in 1965 and several similar sized ones since. One of my sons has a non-typical that scored 137+"-- quite a monster for this little deer. His field-dressed deer with the lower legs removed weighed only 70 pounds ! Beautiful deer though. I'd suggest spending a lot of time glassing for your deer and a fairly flat-shooting rifle is an asset, though you may jump the occasional deer at shorter range too. We've had good luck with the .243 Win. Some of the "big boys" go for REALLY long range setups, but that's not my style.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Back in the Mid 80's I was able to get two WT Tags 3 years in a row.

One by the regular draw and the 2nd one over the counter at the G&F dept.

I always drew a tag for 34A (Santa Rita's) because that's where I lived and the second one was a Dec hunt 35B or 36B right on the border.

I bet today those border units are hardly hunted.

When I left AZ 1999 I had 8 Bonus points for Rifle Bull Elk.

My Nephew say's I still have them, I have never checked.

I hunted the Coues every year from 1966 to 1999 minus 4 years 75-79.

I kill 4 or 5 deer every year hear In VA but it's just not the same in either the fun factor or table fair.

Stay safe-- J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!