Can you clean gun parts in a vibrating tumbler?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Can you clean gun parts in a vibrating tumbler?

Post by FatJackDurham »

I am using a Lyman twin tumbler that has a smaller bucket for "rock tumbling or wet parts cleaning".

What media and polish do you use to clean parts? I am going to be rust bluing a gun, and I'd like to clean the gun parts as much as I can without scrubbing with Emory cloth. Can I use the tumbler?
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Can you clean gun parts in a vibrating tumbler?

Post by Terry Murbach »

I HAVE NEVER THOUGHT OF THIS BEFORE. EVERYTHING I EVER BLUED WAS CLEANED CHEMICALLY NOT MECHANICALLY BEFORE HAND.
WHAT HAPPENS TO ALL THOSE NICE CLEAN SHARP EDGES WHILE THEY'RE BEING TOSSED ROUND'N'ROUND IN THAT TUMBLER ??
ALSO, TUMBLING ITSELF IS A POLISHING OPERATION NOT A CLEANING OPERATION PER SE'.
THERE ARE RESIDUES LEFT BEHIND BY POLISHING OPERATIONS ON BRASS ETC.
MAYBE I AM MISSING SOMETHING HERE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What Terry Said....

I think there's no substitute for hand-polishing most of it (or maybe a Dremel tool with the right wheel).

Then again, I've only done small parts and only a few at a time.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I would look at once fired brass thru a glass, at the top rim of the brass before and after a few hours in the tumbler. If it's rounded off, I'd be very careful. On the other had, they make ultra-sonic parts cleaners that will not take off metal.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've used vibratory tumblers in manufacturing. They are used to remove burrs and round things off, not necessarily polish the parts. I would not use them on gun parts with ANY media because I want the correct shapes to be retained.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I love this site.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Okay. Then, for chemical cleaning, what about I substitute for dicro 909? I don't think I need the whole 8 pounds of the stuff. Someone on another site said it basically a detergent.

Any thoughts?

I have Birchfield Casey rust and blue remover, and I have some acetone, but the directions say acetone doesn't always get the job done.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

As I re-read the post I take it you aren't prepping the metal for the rust bluing, i.e. degreasing, but rather referring to the periodic removal of rust as part of the process. Is that right?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I use an ULTRASONIC cleaner for cleaning but not a tumbler. If you are just lookinng for a good parts cleaning solution try 50/50 Simple Green and water and after the cleaning SOAK the parts in a m/d lubricant.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Hobie wrote:As I re-read the post I take it you aren't prepping the metal for the rust bluing, i.e. degreasing, but rather referring to the periodic removal of rust as part of the process. Is that right?
No, I was going to actually prep the metal. I would degrease with acetone or a chemical bath, but to remove existing surface marks, I was thinking of tumbling as a kinder gentler sand blasting. I don't know if tumbling as a carding mechanism would be any good.

The parts have all already been coarse sanded by some previous owner, and I didn't want to have to remove to much more metal. I thought that tumbling might be gentler and less distructive than sanding. However, it doesn't sound like that is the case.

So, I guess I'll deblue and derust with a chemical, then sand and wire brush with oil, then degrease and clean with TSP and acetone. Then I'll proceed with the rusting and carding as directed.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Other than cleaning dirty brass, the only other thing I have found it useful for is making blackpowder settle down in the cases. I will put 50 cases with an x amount of powder in them and set the tray on top, turn it on for 10 or 20 seconds and the powder settles on down real nice.----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

FatJackDurham wrote:I thought that tumbling might be gentler and less distructive than sanding. However, it doesn't sound like that is the case.
An outfit here used to do a lot of vibratory cleaning and finishing (before the FedGov made their whole product line a perpetual potential quagmire of "process" crimes), and it was almost impossible to get a finish change without some also having dimensional changes (particularly rounding of outside corners); the process also left a lot to be desired in holes/inside corners. They could get some neat finishes by varying the media, etc, but it just wasn't practical if there were tolerances to keep AND action aggressive enough to remove scratches, toolmarks or casting lines.

A machine shop with a blasting setup might be able to glass bead those parts if the critical wearing surfaces and such were masked off. Glass beading doesn't remove metal so much as push it around (knocking off most of the more brittle oxides/surface crud in the process), and the finer beads at the right pressure might be one option.
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Yeah. I can clean it myself. I just was trying to find out why Lyman advertises it as a part cleaner.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

FatJackDurham wrote:Okay. Then, for chemical cleaning, what about I substitute for dicro 909? I don't think I need the whole 8 pounds of the stuff. Someone on another site said it basically a detergent.

Any thoughts?

I have Birchfield Casey rust and blue remover, and I have some acetone, but the directions say acetone doesn't always get the job done.
I'm no machinist, but a very good one once told me that methylethyl ketone (MEK) was great for cleaning grease, oil and other "residue" from metal parts. I used it once for a project I had and it did a fine job. I know nothing about its availability or cost (and it may be considered "unsafe" these days), but I think I'd do a google search to find out something about it if I were you.

Others here may be able to comment knowledgeably about MEK.

P.S. In rereading the complete thread I realize that you were likely wanting a "deeper" cleaning than I thought. Anyhow, MEK may be of interest to some forumites.

Good luck.