Best semi-auto shotgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Best semi-auto shotgun

Post by getitdone1 »

My pump gun post seemed to interest a lot of you so I thought I'd try the semi-auto.

I think we've covered semi-auto before--to one extent or another--but when you're old and forgetful............

I have a Remington model 1100, light weight in 20 ga. Put a slip-on pad on it to lengthen pull. 21" barrel. Receiver is smaller than the standard 1100s and really nice to carry in one hand. A very nice, handy little gun. Synthetic stocks.

I've heard a lot about Benelli semi-autos, how light they are and some say the most dependable semi-auto of all. Do any of you KNOW this is true? Just took a look and find they now have a model M3 that will shoot as both a semi-auto and a pump--all in one gun. I believe this brand has been well received by police and military, and just about anyone else that's heard of them. Hopefully some of you have this gun or the M1, 2,3 or 4 and will add to my knowledge of this brand.

When it comes to reliable I tend to think about the Browning A-5 and the Remington model 11, both the Browning design. Lately been thinking a little about the model 11-48, same recoil action as the Remington model 11 but with stamped parts but a lighter gun. Wikipedia article on the A-5 states that John Browning considered it his best achievement. Don't know if I agree with him on that--if he, in fact, really said it.

By the way, John Browning's autobiography is a great book for a gun lover to have.

Don
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Best semi-auto shotgun

Post by 2ndovc »

I bought a Mossberg 930 autoloader about two months ago. After 500+ rounds it has not failed. I love this thing!! Real Zombie Killer!

I've had a couple well used Auto 5's but they were well worn and did not function well.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

For years the Browning A5 was the only dependable automatic. There are many good ones on the market now, but my personal favorites are the Remington 1100 or Remington 11/87's.
Last edited by JB on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

My '70s era Remington 1100 20 gauge full size frame and my 11-87 12 gauge have been totally reliable.

rick
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I love my 1100 (1100LT-20) and it's great for recreational shooting and hunting, but I would never trust it as a weapon or want to use one in competition.

I use a Benelli M2 for 3Gun and shotgun matches. (also for sporting clays lately). I've been shooting it 3 years now? No idea how many rounds through it, a decent amount, usually under more intense rates of fire than most shotguns get. I've had one, quickly easily cleared malfunction in that time.

Off the top of my head I don't recall any malfunctions with my grandfathers A5, but that sucker will wear you down on a good day of shooting.
Slow is just slow.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Remington 1100.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Got a 1993 LT20 Skeet Rem 1100 that has been absolutely flawless.
So,for me at this point(that gets top honors)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hmmm in my youmger days I was kinda in awe of Browning A-5's as far as an autoloader goes .
Later when I got heavily into skeet and trap the Remington 1100 and 11/87 were of great intrest .
But the last few years I acquired a keen intrest in the Ithaca MAG-10 and the derivative Remington SP-10 .

Although I've not owned one the Browning Gold 10 also intrests me to a certain degree .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

11-87 for 12ga and the SP-10 for 10 ga. Both made by remington.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

My Benelli does three things very well - boom, boom, boom! I has over 5600 rounds of target and waterfowl ammo and a few slugs and has never missed a beat. This is through saltwater waterfowl seasons of abuse where the gun had salt, sand, feathers, dog hair, mud, etc through it basically due to my own neglect. I have had 5 different semi autos of different brands and a few variations of the same models in different gauges. There have been a few hiccups here and there but none I would call "unreliable". Rem 1100's have been good but do need maintenance, Win 59 never missed a beat.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2ndovc wrote:I bought a Mossberg 930 autoloader about two months ago. After 500+ rounds it has not failed. I love this thing!! Real Zombie Killer!

I've had a couple well used Auto 5's but they were well worn and did not function well.

jb 8)
What you really want is an 870 Tactical...I'll trade mine for your Mossy... :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

For the $, it's hard to beat Remington 1100 auto's and 870 pumps. You can pay way more and get alot less. Still trying to wear out my 1972 wingmaster, bought new for me, when I was 12. 8)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I think that if I were in the mood for an auto-loader it would be a Benelli. That "inertia" system of theirs is pretty much unstoppable...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I have had Rem 1100s that worked great for me hunting and target shooting with a little preventive maintenance. I have been issued by the military and then bought HK (Benelli) M-1 12 GA that worked great with a lot of abuse from students and others. This is a photo of my second HK (My friend wanted the other one without the raised sights for his training kit.) The M-1s are very tough shotguns for a lot of shooting and other than cleaning from time to time no other maintenance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
rat patrol
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rat patrol »

11-87 near the bed along with an 870....so what IF I can't decide :lol:
US Army 1989- 2001
formerly with F/51st INF LRSC
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

2ndovc wrote:I bought a Mossberg 930 autoloader about two months ago.
Can you swap barrels on these pretty easy? A shorty for home and longer for field/skeet use?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
jager3
Levergunner

Post by jager3 »

The "Sweet-Sixteen" A5 is my favorite with the Beretta 390 a close second because it has the softest recoil of any 12ga I have owned to date. Neither gun has failed to fire regardless of climate conditions or load!
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

Post by allhands »

I Must whole-heartily agree with 86er. The Benelli, in my opinion is the finest autoloader I have ever owned. A 12 guage that kicks like a 20, weighs almost nothing, and shows no signs of crud in the action after 100 rounds. What more can you ask for? I know they tend to be expensive, but they are worth every penny!
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I owned a Bennili Super Black Eagle Camo gun for awhile . It was 28" 3 1/2" fully camoed . It was okay , but it never really grew on me !

Now if it had a 20-23" barrel I most likley would have liked it more . As it was purchased mainly for buckshot on the eastern shore in VERY THICK brush . But at the time a local dealer had the one I bought NIB at a very cheap price because no one wanted a 28" pipe . So I bought it and wasn't overly happy with the way it handled in thick brush . Same could be said for a Browing BPS 10 gauge 28" I had as well as a Ithaca MAG-10 standard grade with a 32" pipe . A plain old Remington 1100 12 gauge 2 3/4" with a Brushmaster 21" barrel was the pooh as far as buckshot on the eastern shore was concerned .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

Post by guntar »

If you want a shotgun that is easy to hit with, I don't believe there has ever been a better balanced, or better pointing autoloader than a Remington 1100. Its only drawback is that you have to regularly clean it. For pure reliability, I suspect you would have to go with one of the recoil-operated systems, but I have never felt like they pointed nearly as well as the 1100. If you want to hit something the 1100 wins; if absolute reliability is your requirement get an 870.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I have no idea which is the best as I'm a SxS guy and have only owned three auto loading shotguns ever. First was an Ithica mag 10 that was good untill the steel shot thing came about. After that was a Rem 1100 special field that was a good gun and lastly is a Beretta 390 that is my duck and muck gun.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

My Browning A-5. Handles like a dream in the pheasant fields and on the skeet range. Too pretty to get wet and muddy in the rice paddies.

For the duck & turkey blinds, where I know the gun is going to be wet & muddy, I'm considering that new Remington Versamax. Ugly as sin, but handles any load w/o adjustments.

Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Benelli in my books gets top honors
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

86er wrote: There have been a few hiccups here and there but none I would call "unreliable". Rem 1100's have been good but do need maintenance, Win 59 never missed a beat.

I have a Winchester 50 in both 20 and 12 gauge (very similar to the 59, except for a steel barrel and receiver) - the 20 gauge has been bulletproof for decades -- the 12 gauge, - er , i just got it last summer and haven't shot it yet :oops: - but i gotta believe its gonna be nice too ---- since these are seen on used gun racks for between $250 and 500 bucks often (obviously condition dependent ) , i'd say these are a dream for a guy on a budget who likes real steel and walnut who doesnt need to shoot magnum loads

------- does anybody have any experience with the new crop of Weatherby semi-autos? Both the semi's and pumps are priced right -- makes me wonder what the catch is
----- Doug
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I think as far as gas operated auto's the Beretta 390,3901 are the most dependable. I have a 390 that I shoot sporting clays with. It currently has over 70,000 rds through it and lives in the trunk of my car between weekend shooting sessions. I live in Buffalo NY so it gets pretty cold soaked in the winter. I clean it when it fails to feed ,usually at the 2300-2600 rd mark and that's all the care it gets. Then its back in the trunk till the next weekend shoot. The gun is 100% reliable. In recoil operated shotguns it's hard to beat the Browning A5 for reliability. My $.02
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Browning Maxus would be my favorite. I have seen a couple of Benellis choke when the temps got real low (~20's and below), of course this could be because of the type of lube used and not the gun.

Any one bought one of the new A-5's?
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

I absolutely love my Auto-5. Only got it a few months ago, shot IDPA 3 gun with it (and my Garand) yesterday, and didn't miss a shot.

I love the way it cycles the first round into the chamber if the bolt is open. The only issue I have is the magazine that holds four, I need it to hold five for IDPA. Will have to source an mag extender.

Dunno when this one was made, serial is F63477 which doesn't show online. Barrel is K48968 so the thing might be a Frankenstein of some sort. But it works.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

shawn_c992001 wrote:I have seen a couple of Benellis choke when the temps got real low (~20's and below),
I'm gonna be real honest here...at -20*F, I'D CHOKE TOO! Anything much below 50*F and I'm cold! :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at