Two New Ranch Dog bullets are being tested !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Two New Ranch Dog bullets are being tested !

Post by 6pt-sika »

Ranch Dog wrote:Craig, I will get back on track with the shooting but I am going to order this mold from Lee tomorrow. I was desperately short of 45-70 brass and my Starline arrived while I was out this week. I might jump over and start on the 300-grain bullet, hammering it out of my 1895G and MR plus the Rossi RG4570.

I'll most likely get started again with the 45-70 monday or tuesday . To be honest I don't see to much more to do other then test the last few loads I have at 50 yards and then step out to 100 yards . I think the last H322 and RL7 loads should be fine . Well that is unless some unforseen thing happens .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

May have to postpone the next range trip for a week or so !

I forgot Speed Weeks just got underway at Daytona and I usually camp on the couch and watch most all of that .

Probably won't get the 45-70 and 444 stuff loaded this weekend . Also gotta do a little outdoor trimming monday or tuesday as well as a trip to a neighboring city in those two days .

Then thursday , friday , saturday and sunday they're having a race each day . So that pretty much maps out a little more activity in the week and upcoming next weekened then gives me time to do a whole lot of shooting .

But we chall see one never knows what can be done in small amounts of time .

I could get to the range if I can get my backside outta the bed around 7AM and be done before 9AM which gives me time to get to the shop take care of internet sales and then get home by 1 or 2 PM for the race stuff .

Lotta if's and's or buts :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well things are looking up !

I went outside right after I made the posy above and started on my outside trimming work !

It's amazing how much faster ot goes when you use a chain saw and cut everything off 12" above the ground ! Alot less mess to clean up as well , well less little stuff and it's a darn sight easier dragging off several big limbs as compared to raking etc etc !

So all thats taken care of and perhaps I can find time to load what I need for the 45-70 and 444 and then hit the range as planned earlier on monday or tuesday afternoon !
I can shoot one afternoon and go to Charlottesville the other afternoon !

And still have everything done so as not to interfere with laying on the couch watching the races 8)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well after Daytona qualifying was over this afternoon I then went in the shop and loaded 30 rounds for the 45-70 and 30 rounds for the 444 !

Already had 30 rounds loaded for the 44 MAG !

Now if the weather looks decent tommorrow afternoon I'll hit the range around 2ish . If not I'll go to C'ville tommorrow and hit the range tuesday afternoon !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Okay I got to the range today !

The 44 MAG first , I've pretty much settled on 25 grains of H110 with the Ranch Dog 432-240GC . Shoots really nice groups at 50 yards and I either need to change scopes or practice alot to get what I call decent groups at 100 yards :wink:

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

With the 45-70 and the Ranch Dog 460-300GC H322 seems to be showing the most promise . Although my loads are getting borderline handfull !

I'm still not satisfued with what it's doing so far and time will tell if it comes around . Although I wonder if it's me , the scope or that I've not gotten a powder charge that suits that rifle with that bullet !

This one is best to be refferred to as a work in progress !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The 444 has been a relative ease to get to shoot and even with that old Weaver K3 on top I still get decent representative groups as long as I don't jerk the rifle to often !

This one is a toss up and I'll just shoot it some more for the heck of it !
Maybe even try it at 150 and 200 yards !

I might even back track to IMR8208 with this one and try for a target load for the Hunter Class CBA matches :wink:
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Spare lead & powder, spoil the shoulder, tighten the groups

Post by pricedo »

Those humungous lead bullets pushed by heavy powder charges are going to pound that shoulder and the Guide Guns aren't designed to baby your shoulders.......they're brutal !
A big factor is involuntary flinch when your shooting a gun/load combo that kills on one end and cripples on the other.
Those muscles involuntarily tighten in anticipation.
If I'm going to be in Grizz or Brownie country I use the heavy loads.
If I'm hunting black bear, deer, elk or moose the 350 grain Hornady or 400 grain Speer flat points driven by sub-max powder charges get the job done without open shoulder surgery.
I find the moderate non-dangerous game loads are a lot easier to group well with.
But I guess if I'm not pushing car battery sized lead bullets ahead of a half a can of powder I'm a sissy in today big bore world. :mrgreen:
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Spare lead & powder, spoil the shoulder, tighten the groups

Post by 6pt-sika »

pricedo wrote:I find the moderate non-dangerous game loads are a lot easier to group well with.
But I guess if I'm not pushing car battery sized lead bullets ahead of a half a can of powder I'm a sissy in today big bore world. :mrgreen:
Do what you want .

Because I'll d..a..m..n sure do what I want .
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

6pt-sika,
Thank you for the very detailed report! :D

In looking at both bullets the .432-240 appears to have a longer groove riding portion of the bullet than the .460-300 does. Thus with the .460-300 there is more unsupported bullet which could be the cause of it not shooting as well.....

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Awesome report as usual 6 PT...thank you! Bummed as my 336 Texan needs some throat/leade work before it will chamber my Ranch Dog 265's, or anything like a WFN or Keith design.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8