Aussie invasion, some local knowledge required

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Aussie invasion, some local knowledge required

Post by peter richards »

I have organised a trip for 8 Australian gun enthusiasts across the west, starting in Las Vegas on November 12, heading to the Big Reno gunshow, the the Elmer Keith museum in Boise, Jackson Hole, Afton Arch, Cody & the Buffalo Bill Historical Centre, Shiloh Sharps factory & the Custer Battlefield finishing in Billings. At this point half the group will go home & the rest of us will head to San Antonio for a levergun Bison hunt with a couple of forum members that I am looking forward to meeting.
We want to call in on all the good gunshops on route & anything that would be of interest to us along he way, can you guys point us in the right direction, any suggestions will be appreciated, we might even get to meet a few of you along the way.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Aussie invasion, some local knowledge required

Post by Old Savage »

Super idea!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Pete, sounds like a great trip.. you've thought her out pretty well.. be sure to bring warm jackets for that time of year in Wyoming.. its getting pretty close to the coldest time of year and you'll be between 6000 and 7500 feet elevation..makes a difference..(you won't need 'em so much in Vegas) pm me when you get closer and I'll get you my cel #.. if I'm home I could meet for breakfast. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

You fellers have a GREAT trip planned. As Les said, be prepared for cold weather and very possibly some snow. Coats, knit caps and warm gloves will come in handy, along with appropriate footwear, you are going to be doing LOTS of walking.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Pete you guys might stop North of San Antone at the Bandera gun club and rent some machine guns. They have a grease gun and an Uzi for rent, and they are some nice fellows there and are hospitable. Nice part of Texas Hill country.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

In San Antonio, two big gun shops.

Nagel's was founded in 1942 (I once worked there) and the prices are high, not that it matters to you guys, but they have some wild stuff hiding away in the back rooms. Original Springfield Trapdoors, original Colt '49 Pockets or '51 Navy's (NOT replicas), lot of older/smaller autos from WW1/WW2, you name it, it might be hiding there.

Dury's is a nicer store with better prices, and they have a similar collection. About 10 years ago they built a new place, so it's much 'nicer' looking.

The Bullet Hole range in northern SA has an MP5 for rent, maybe more (been years since I was there).

If you have time, driving north from San Antonio about three hours....... Waco has the Texas Ranger museum. Just about the largest collection of 'well used" Peacemakers and 1911s you'll ever see in one spot. They used to have Bonnie and Clyde's car there, not sure if it still is.
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

Thanks for the replies guys, any input is much appreciated as we have limited time on the road so we need to know all the GOOD gunshops, & gun museums, particularly on our route from Las Vegas to Billings. We are also driving from Pheonix to LA, so any input in that area would be great.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

The Cody museum is great and takes some time. You might want to get in touch with Buck Elliott to meet him when you get to Cody. A lot of our bunch is in Wyoming, Malamute is close to Cody too I think.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Pete, when you're in Vegas, you might as well take your group to one of the local gun clubs where you can rent full-auto weapons. One of them has crew-served weapons as well....we're talking Ma Deuce and M249 stuff. I don't think you'll get that chance in Australia!! I know it's not lever-related....but ya' know.... :wink:

http://www.vipnvegas.com/las_vegas_gun_range.html
http://thegunstorelasvegas.com/
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

I live in Boise and can highly recommend the Old Pen museum. It has an excellent gun and armament museum. The Elmer Keith exhibit is nice at Cabelas but if it was me I would skip Boise and spend extra time at the Cody museum. It is "THE" gun museum.

http://history.idaho.gov/museum-collections

Happy to offer any advise about Boise. Send me a PM.

Chris
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

If you stop at the Alamo, don't forget to step into the Menger Hotel and Bar, right next door.

Throw down a stiff whiskey and then you can tell your grandkids you had a drink right where Teddy Roosevelt recruited the Rough Riders, and a hefty chunk of Texas Rangers passed their time throughout the last couple centuries.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

If you can make it as far east as Oklahoma, the J.M.Davis gun museum in Claremore is worth a look. Also, the National Cowboy Hall of Fame in Okie City.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Peter,
You have some good suggestions and it is only August - at this rate, you will have a packed itinerary before your November trip. :D
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

Keep the suggestions coming guys, we don't want to miss a thing on this trip. I have picked up a 1895 in 405 for my Bison Hunt, & an 1888 Marlin, I just need an 1891 Marlin to complete my Marlin Collection.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

On the way to San Antonio, stop in Waco and see the Texas Ranger Museum. Well worth the time. Don't miss the riverwalk in S A. It is just a short distance from the Alamo. Now, if you are looking for cowboy hats, in Garland, just a few minutes from 86er's home, there is a factory outlet for Stetson hats with some great prices.

When you pass through Dallas, let me know. I might be able to find a place to say Hello.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Also check out the Alamo and the Buckhorn Saloon if you have time while you're close to San Antonio. Well worth the visit.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

MrMurphy wrote:If you stop at the Alamo, don't forget to step into the Menger Hotel and Bar, right next door.
Kings X in the Menger facing Alamo Plaza has very neat toy soldiers and excellent displays. They have a Sand Pebbles with Steve McQueen's character manning the BAR.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Peter,
We are currently running pressure tests on several Winchester 1895 .405 WCF loads and that may help you when you begin loading for your .405. :) Especially if you plan to use the 400 grain Woofleighs on Aussie water buffalo where they should be just the ticket.

I read a story where Craig Boddington and daughter shot hogs and water buff and she used her 1895 .405; Sounds like fun.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

If you check you will also find some good beer breweries along the way. Just saying. Hope you get to enjoy your time here in the States. ATB
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Not to be a dark cloud on a sunny day but who in your party knows how to drive in snow? I suspect that if anyone is driving in that part of the world in the month of November you may run into snow and ice. I am not sure if you have driven in such conditions in the land of Oz. I know sometimes you get snow around some mountains but as a rule it is a more subtropical temperate climate.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

bigbore442001 wrote:Not to be a dark cloud on a sunny day but who in your party knows how to drive in snow? I suspect that if anyone is driving in that part of the world in the month of November you may run into snow and ice. I am not sure if you have driven in such conditions in the land of Oz. I know sometimes you get snow around some mountains but as a rule it is a more subtropical temperate climate.
Party pooper. :wink:

Don't worry Mate, if you wear a cork hat you will keep the snow away... :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

What is this snow that you speak of?
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Old Savage wrote:Super idea!
good to see you posting there "Old Savage"... :)
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

peter richards wrote:What is this snow that you speak of?
very good point, you will be planning a definite winter vacation to the north.
November is beautifully temperate in San Antonio, but anywhere in the Rockies you will find freezing weather and the potential for big snow.
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

I will be driving the guys in a 15 seat Chevy van early November, Las Vegas to Billings, what precautions should we take with regards to snow, I have never even seen snow before.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

peter richards wrote:I will be driving the guys in a 15 seat Chevy van early November, Las Vegas to Billings, what precautions should we take with regards to snow, I have never even seen snow before.
If it's a Rental, make sure it has snow tires. There might be places along the route where you will have to use chains (chain law). If so, learning how to install them might be a good idea. :wink:

Otherwise, it's just like driving on an oil slick... in a monsoon. :twisted:

Naah. It's not that bad. :mrgreen:

But do make sure you have snow-rated tires & chains onboard. I would also suggest buying a top-dollar AAA Motorclub card. Their roadside service people could be invaluable. (Saved my brother over $1000 in a single tow when he blew a drivetrain computer...)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

Keep the ideas coming guys,mew don't want to miss anything of interest on our trip
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

there is a lot to do in Colorado, but in the winter it is very cold and snowy. A lot of skiing. If you come down along the Western slope of the Rockies and cross the Continental Divide in Arizona, you could stop in some of the small towns along the way and see some sights. Probably less snow that route.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

More winter driving tips for the West (or anywhere).
Always carry a blanket(s) and/or sleeping bag(s) for winter mountain driving - "even" in Arizona (we have some classic "field" cases here of our own re ill prepared/tragic circumstances). Carrying such for 15 is perhaps unrealistic, but at least a few blankets will come in handy if someone's feeling poorly or you need to spend some time on the ground dealing with chains etc. A spare gallon or two of water also. Road flares are always a good idea, for starting a camp-or-emergency fire (see fire caution below) - even with wet(ish) wood. If you get (truly) stranded, dismount the spare, remove it to an area well away from the vehicle, let the air out as completely as possible, dislodge from the rim as much as you can (to avoid re-inflation from heat--boom!)...and ignite with the road flare--with the tire on snow or in the dirt (ie, don't start any forest fires 'cause of this - we don't need any more of those!) The black smoke should alert a fire tower or others from a distance. In extreme circumstances, if you know your vehicle is "permanently" out of commission, you can go through several tires like this if need be. You'll likely be on established/well-traveled roads, so all of the above will very likely be unnecessary... But roads in the Rockies can get to be pretty isolated, lonely stretches in the winter especially if bad weather hits. Never say never. Lots 'n lots of "classic" cases related to folks getting stranded when they "never thought...".
Other -
- Cell phone charger(s). Depending on carrier/server, cell phone reception can be spotty, in some areas nonexistent, but someone usually can get through (classic case of a downed plane in Idaho or Montana - IIRC - cell phone a real savior in unlikely reception terrain too).
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

For 15 people a pile of Mylar thermal blankets is quick, cheap, effective and takes up no space.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/8 ... x?a=467714
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Peter,
One good thing about the US is very good weather coverage by radio and TV; make good use of that to avoid driving into a winter storm. It is not always cold and snowy - last time I hunted elk in southwest Montana in November, it was bluebird weather and the fish were biting - unfortunately, the lack of snow kept the elk way up on the mountains and all we shot was a fat mulie which made excellent rolled roasts.

All the smart phones have weather apps that can show forecasts and radar images - I do not leave home without one. All this talk of snow should be soon forgotton when you get to south Texas though.