Marlin XLR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Marlin XLR

Post by TomD »

Up here in Canada, these rifles seem to be getting scarce. I was wondering if they are still making them, and if they were all made pre-remington? How can one tell the Rem made ones, if they exist from others?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin XLR

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, Remlins don't have a New Haven, Conn bbl address.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I recently saw a .30-30 XLR a .308 XLR, and a .450 Marlin XLR I think on BudsGunShop.com. Most likely 'leftovers' from a few years ago.

I picked up a .30-30 one from a Gander Mountain a year ago that I'd fondled four or five years previously (the serial number was a memorable one and I know was the same). In the interim I'd gone there to trade and buy several times, but never walked out with that one, despite occasionally checking it out again. They sold many other .30-30's during that time frame of Marlin, Rossi, Henry, and used-Winchester types, but the XLR was evidently too-long, too-shiny, or just too-non-traditional for those danged thutty-thutty geezers.

So last year I felt sorry for it and bought it. (Actually I'd considered a 20" stainless 336, but never could find one, and had found that my .444 Marlin XLR balances and handles well and is accurate to boot, so of course it needed a 'mate'.)

I'll bet many of the XLR's you'll find here and there are un-adopted kittens just like that one.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pmeisel
Levergunner

Post by pmeisel »

They still show the XLR on the website --
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

Thanks for the info, I think I know where there might be one I can pick up. I like stainless if it is well done, and laminate for that mater. On the stainless, it makes the gunsmithing easier since one can polish, no bluing. I may trim the barrel to 20 if I don't like the longer one though it is shorter than a double with 28 inch barrels, not regarded all that cumbersome a gun. And the laminate is not a conventional look, but the execution on the laminate finish is just night and day better than on the walnut. It takes a lot of work to do a nice walnut job.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Ive been thinking about getting a 338 Marlin XLR for Alaska. There were a couple in a local shop recently, pre-Remington IIRC. Our big-game hunting seasons here in NorCal tend to be rather hot and dry so I don't see as many SS/laminate versions here. Mostly standard blue/walnut. But that's just me.

And yeah that SS/black lam scheme is quite attractive too.

Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.