**SCORES ADDED**Mess Of Pics From Pa. State Champs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

**SCORES ADDED**Mess Of Pics From Pa. State Champs

Post by Sixgun »

Howdy Guys,
Here's a mess of pics from the weekend's Pennsylvania State Levergun Silhouette Championship held at the Ridgway Rifle Club, a first class gunclub where good 'ole boys rule and Conservatism is a priority. As usual, a blast (in more ways than one :D ) was had from everyone. There was a record 64 shooters. (I think 64)
"The" Gunny and I camped out on the grounds and our good friend Jack Kort camped out in the clubhouse. He said our tent was too stinky. Gunny's brother, George was there and he got a room in town as he don't like our tent either.

Al Foust, the National Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette champion is a regular at the Ridgway Rifle Club and was present, along with last years National Champion, Brian Wakefield. Both of these guys are match directors.

I did better than usual with the Model 63 Winchester for smallbore, Model 53 Win. in 25-20 for pistol caliber, and a Marlin 1894 in 44 WCF for big bore............but.........not good enough to win anything. Pennsylvania holds the best silhouette shooters in the country and its tough competition. Whether its levergun, Hi-Power, Small Bore or Hunter Pistol, there's a silhouette shoot going on every weekend somewhere around here. :D --------------Sixgun

Here's the scores. First is smallbore .22 Second is Pistol Caliber and Third is CLA (Big Bore) I rotated the pics on Hunt 101 .Com but they still came out sideways. I'm too tired to figure it out so do whatever you have to do.(copy,paste,save,edit??) I guess you could turn your head, thats my style :D

Anyway, I just looked and they look hard to see. I had to magnify to read 'em, besides, things get all screwy when moving the pics around from site to site. If you save them, you can figure it out. I'm going to bed.--Me
Smallbore

Pistol Caliber

CLA Big Bore

Our home for a few days--no open flames please!

Jack Kort came up to our tent to BS and refused to come inside. These is how the conversation went for 2 hours. Kinda makes you feel your in the big house.

"The" Gunny playing on the 1,000 yard range the day before the matches. I was shooting my Ruger 10" Maximum here and saw what a good revolver can do out to 500 yards.

Jack Roussel shooting in the "pistol caliber" event

Jack Roussel & George BS'en. Jack has a great shirt!

Jack Kort, the only guy in the world that I know who shoots blackpowder in the .22 Long Rifle

Me holding one of Jack Korts peanut butter and grape sandwiches. Those babies are good!

Me, (holding the 1894 Marlin in 44-40) and Jack Roussel tellin' lies. I did manage a 44 X 60 with this old rifle and thats missing FOUR pigs and TWO chickens

The mighty Model 53 in 25-20

Gunny's brother George shooting at the 2 hundred meter rams with his original 1886 in 45-70
Last edited by Sixgun on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mess Of Pics From Pa. State Champs

Post by rjohns94 »

Great report. Looks like a good time was had by all. Thanks for sharing
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Where are all the girls, oh wait that`s OS`s threads :lol:
Looks like a good time Sixgun. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Great Post-------Looks like you had a blast! :wink:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

rjohns94 wrote:Great report. Looks like a good time was had by all. Thanks for sharing
+ 1.... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sure wish I could have been there!

Looks like a good time!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Looks like a good time sixgun, and WOW on them Guns

ollogger
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sixgun wrote: Our home for a few days--no open flames please! .....
... Jack Kort came up to our tent to BS and refused to come inside. These is how the conversation went for 2 hours. Kinda makes you feel your in the big house.
Well, given what you've said about your tent and the consumption of baked beans, I can see why he might not want to step inside that tent. :D
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Sixgun,
Glad to see that you made it home aok. It was great to see you, Gunny, and the rest of the levergun silhouette enthusiasts. A wonderful time was definitely had by all.

More pics..
Sixgun & Gunny

Sixgun - front

Sixgun (aka MR INGOT) - back

Gunny

Target setters
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

some of the ladies....

aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
NRA Life member
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Sixgun was very kind to lend his "back up" vintage 44-40 '92 Takedown to Jack from NJ to compete in the CLA portion of the competition. What a guy! :D

And....he proceeded to hit 14x15 Rams with it! Awesome! :D

Sixgun checking the barrel after Jack completed his match to make sure there was still rifling in it. :D :D :D

firing line

Marlins & Winchesters (Marlins outnumbered Winchesters by 2 to 1)

Looking forward to 2013......

w30wcf
aka John Kort
NRA Life member
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Great photos, thanks for sharing! :D

Dave B
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I am so jealous.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
looks like everyone had a good time!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jack,
Thanks for posting the pics. It was great catching up with you again and yes,,,,,,,,,,,,we sure did pull the trigger this weekend.
My tally:
44-40---------396
25-20---------150
357 Max.-----50
30-40 .-------50
.22 LR---?--a lot

Well, now we have to wait a month and a half 'till the Levergun Jubilee!!

Oh, oh,,,, I forgot to tell you. The Gunny is OK now. Remember how he was all "binded up" over the weekend? He told me last night that he went to the potty FOUR times yesterday!!!!! :D I really thought that huge bowl of chile would clean him out but it only made it worse. :D :D ----------------------------------Sixgun

SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by SargeMarlin »

Got tears rollin' on that one, and I'm only laughin' because I've been there.

SM
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Sixgun & w30wcf-

Thanks for the great reports, with pictures no less! It's nice to see that some young folks, especially the girls, were there to shoot. It seems not many young people participate in the levergun silhouette sport. By any chance did you take a picture of the final scoreboard? I am curious as to what scores were shot to win each class.

I shoot NRA Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette in all three diciplines every month all year long, so I really enjoy reading about others who shoot silhouette. Our club too is dominated by Marlin rifles, a result (in my opinion) of them being on average cheaper to buy and much more readily available while still having good accuracy for silhouette.

Looks like you all had a really good time!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Thanks. That was a fun thread :!:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

Great photos! Who won Sunday's match? I could only shoot Saturday.

Sixgun, you're right, Pennsyltucky has some great shooters! ;-) That fellow from Kansas can shoot though.

I wonder if other state matches draw like PA's does? It looked like there were shooters from New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, Kansas and Canada.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Re: **SCORES ADDED**Mess Of Pics From Pa. State Champs

Post by w30wcf »

Sixgun,
Wow! You sure did fire lotsa rounds! I wished that I could have gotten there earlier on Friday.

Shasta, here are the top scorers....
Smallbore - Jim Luke 36x40 (60 shot match changed to 40 due to time constraints)

Pistol cartridge - Judy Fisher 52x60 Jim Luke 52x60 Judy won the shoot off.
Judy used a Marlin '94 in 25-20 / Jim used a Marlin Cowboy .357

Cowboy Lever Action - Kurt Bowman 53x60 Jim Luke 53x60 - 5 shot shoot off on the Turkeys
Jim hit 5 and won, Kurt hit 4 Jim and Kurt both used 30-30 Marlins.

Aggregate winner - Jim Luke - 141x160

w30wcf
aka John Kort
NRA Life member
drjjpdc
Levergunner

Post by drjjpdc »

Well this was my first Silhouette match and did I have fun. It will be easy to see my scores if they are enlarged, mine are the ones with lots of zeros in them! Spent some time with John Kort who aided me greatly and was a most polite and generous person. I will be back! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

drjjpdc wrote:Well this was my first Silhouette match and did I have fun. It will be easy to see my scores if they are enlarged, mine are the ones with lots of zeros in them! Spent some time with John Kort who aided me greatly and was a most polite and generous person. I will be back! :D
Just save the pic to your own computer and magnify it from there. Did we meet?-----Sixgun and "The" Gunny. :D

w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

drjjpdc wrote:Well this was my first Silhouette match and did I have fun. It will be easy to see my scores if they are enlarged, mine are the ones with lots of zeros in them! Spent some time with John Kort who aided me greatly and was a most polite and generous person. I will be back! :D
John,
Thank you for the kind words. For not having any sight settings for the different animals and not having done this before, you did pretty darn good! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some statistics...
> 63 competors
> 9,600 shots fired excluding sighters (with sighters probably 12,000+)
> 5,845 steel silhouettes knocked down and reset by the target setters

Aggregate Champion Jim Luke flew in from Kansas to show us how it's done.
He cleaned his last 5 targets with his Marlin 30-30 Cowboy rifle (5x5 turkeys at 150 meters) to clinch the top spot.
Congratulations Jim! :D

w30wcf
aka John Kort
NRA Life member
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

w30wcf wrote: Some statistics...
> 5,845 steel silhouettes knocked down and reset by the target setters
Jack,
There's a mistake here. I did see a few targets that were only spun a bit so they did not have to picked up---only turned a hair. So if we take a probable 16 targets that were spun, that brings it to 5829 that were actually picked up.

And lets not forget the 3,000,000+ plus rounds that were fired all day Friday :D

I know, I'm an azz & you have too much time on your hands to figure all this stuff out :D -----------Sixgun

w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Sixgun,
Well, actually.............let's see.........5,845 = total number of targets on the scoreboards....... so the turned targets were not included (at least the one I turned wasn't). :D

Now.....you might ask yourself.....how did he know that? Since Al and Brian had done so much work for the match, I volunteered to put together the match results report which I did in excel format and sent to Al and Brian for their approval.

Once I had entered all of the info into into the file it took only a few seconds to get the grand total. Bingo! :D

But after all, what's a few targets between friends. :D :D :D

w30wcf
aka John Kort
NRA Life member
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Sixgun, Old Buddy,

Great report and pictures! Now I'm homesick again for Ridgway, and I haven't even shot on the new lever gun range, just the big range 'up top.' But many times on that range. You guys had a woderful time for sure, and I'm jealous. Next year I'll have to time my eastern trip for the Pa. State Levergun shoot.

JK,

Thanks for the added pics, also.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Cimarron Red wrote:Sixgun, Old Buddy,

Great report and pictures! Now I'm homesick again for Ridgway, and I haven't even shot on the new lever gun range, just the big range 'up top.' But many times on that range. You guys had a woderful time for sure, and I'm jealous. Next year I'll have to time my eastern trip for the Pa. State Levergun shoot.

JK,

Thanks for the added pics, also.

OK Reds,
Your time in Colorado is done. Its time for you to move back. At least having you show up for the State Champs (or the Regionals) would really be cool. Yea, I know---ain't cheap.
Not sure if I'm headed out your way this fall and if I do it will not be for hunting. Still lots of loose ends that ain't been tied.

Just think---Gunny, me, AND you sharing the same tent. Add Gunny's brother and Jack Kort qand there would be a receipe for a mass gas explosion. :D --------Sixgun