Strange results of saving their life(what women like best)??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Strange results of saving their life(what women like best)??

Post by madman4570 »

Guys, I brought this reply of mine over on a new post because I was amazed of results and didn't want it to get overlooked.

Had quite an unexpected outcome yesterday.
Had my wife (and she took a special Handgun Defense course)and two other women(just women that very rarely shoot)like maybe once a month at the club(recreational stuff)

Anyhow,we setup in the pistol range a three different combat sceniros of 20ft/45ft/90ft

For the tests we had them use the following-----------20ga Rem 1100 20" barrel/ Glock 17 9mm/ Colt AR15 .223/Kel-Tec Sub2K .40S&W/ Kel-Tec SU16-B .223/and finally a Ruger 4" GP100 shooting mild .38 Specials.

Very unexpected results------ALL THREE(by a large margain)favored---(and did the best with)----The SU16-B (Bravo)
My gut feeling is if it wasn't the B model----would have been different????

They all said (that gun just fit them/was easiest to shoot well,handle and felt in a life or death situation (they would want that gun)

They said it just was easiest QUICKLY bringing it to target and hitting the target.
The Shotgun(LT20 w/buck barrel)didn't fit em as well and moved off target after each shot too much ???
The Colt was too big and heavy.
The Sub2K didn't point as well/kicked too much/and trigger pull was weird?????
Both handguns they could'nt hit targets as well and even those light cals (kicked,moved off target way more than the SU16-B)even my wife????

The SU16-A they ALL said fit perfect/came on target with ease/trigger pull smooth/no kick/and the rest they couldn't really explain but said it just was easiest/felt best/and they by reviewing their targets(they did shoot it the best???

In that gun I had the 10rd mag staggered (2 each after each other)Hornady Superformance 53gr/Handloaded 55gr FMJ
In the 9mm----Remington 115gr FMJ
.38 special ----Remington 158gr SWC
.40S&W----Magtech 180gr FMJ
Colt AR15-----Hornady 62gr Match
20ga----Winchester 2.75" 00Buck

Also(I think because of the AK47 design)they thought the SU16-B was the easiest to load/work etc. in a panic situation other than the Ruger GP100 ????????????????(why not the Glock)??????????????????you got me!
Actually when watching them think it was because they all used their hip(butt of gun against hip)left hand holding short forearm and just easy racking the action as with a AK
Anyway-----them be the results here??????????
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Strange results of saving their life(what women like best)??

Post by FWiedner »

A low recoil long-gun.

Easy to point, doesn't hurt the hands to pull the trigger, and recoil isn't scary.

As long as it works.

Obviously a gun for the girls.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

FWiedner wrote:A low recoil long-gun.

Easy to point, doesn't hurt the hands to pull the trigger, and recoil isn't scary.

As long as it works.

Another long gun to consider is the M1 Carbine for the same reasons. Every woman I teach gets the M1 Carbine as their first centerfire rifle after a 22lr. It's small size, light weight, low recoil, and low muzzle report seems to suit them all. After that we transition to the AR but most like the M1 Carbine better because of it's significantly smaller size.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Daughter would shoot everything at least once. She didn't like the G36. Not because of recoil, but, because the brass came back over her head where she could see it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Good friend, female, lovrs her 15 oz Smith 442. She shoots it very well.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Interesting stuff guys :wink:

Man, I would have lost money betting on that one???????????????
I thought--------------that nice shiny 4" Ruger GP100 with those easy light loads(whether it even maybe not being as accurate,they would have like that best followed by the Glock?????????????/

Course that is just 3 gals(who knows with others)?
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Old Savage wrote:Good friend, female, lovrs her 15 oz Smith 442. She shoots it very well.
I too have a "Good friend, female" :wink: that loves a Sig P239 in .40S&W & shoots it well.
Picture? 8)
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

casastahle wrote:
Old Savage wrote:Good friend, female, lovrs her 15 oz Smith 442. She shoots it very well.
I too have a "Good friend, female" :wink: that loves a Sig P239 in .40S&W & shoots it well.
Picture? 8)

Yep! :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've always told folks who have shot enough HANDGUNS to know their recoil limitations, and have some idea of the maximum weight and size gun they want to tote, that the next step is to just pick up a bunch and handle them, and see what FITS them. Knowing that 'grips' can be altered, there will still be some guns that just 'feel right' when held. In addition, I tell them to find a safe place/direction to 'dry-fire', then unload the gun, set it down on a countertop, and close their eyes, then pick up the gun and quickly bring it to 'shooting position' (I leave the exact 'position' to them - it needs to be their reflexive/instinctive one). The gun(s) that line up with their line-of-sight when they open their eyes are the guns to highly consider. All that translates into a gun that will tend to automatically fit/fill their hand, and automatically line up on-target. (And yes, I caution them that I'm just a dude who likes guns and shoots them a bit, and no credentialed self-defense expert.) Anyway, that's my 'handgun' advice, even to fairly experienced shooters, male or female.

With LONG-GUNS I think many of us here have spent a lifetime using them in various shapes and sizes, and men's upper-body strength favors us being able to adapt to more variations and with length/weight limitations. Thus, "we" are likely to have a bit more ability to shoot 'whatever' when it comes to long guns. On the other hand, women in general have less of the upper-body leverage/strength, so if you combine that with less years-spent-shooting, they are apt to need to use some of the same criteria for long guns that I advise for handguns; the gun needs to be comfy and fit well and just sort of 'naturally' point.

Bottom line - the same as the 'old mountain man with just one gun' theory - a gun someone is very familiar with is going to be more effective in their hands than ANY gun merely picked by some expert based on what should be ideal for that person. In the case of the 'newbie' shooter there aren't years of experience to give a particular shootin' iron an advantage in their hands, so the next best thing is going to be one that just 'feels right'.

Also - if it 'feels right' it may be more FUN to shoot, which means before long, they WILL have tons of experience with it, and at that point there is no question - it IS their best fighting tool.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I taught all my kids to shoot as soon as they were able. My daughter, the oldest of the three, likes to shoot her 20ga pump. Recently she was asking me about a home defense handgun, and I was kinda pointing her to a 9mm semi, since she is only 5'2" and weighs about 100lbs on a fat day.

Guess what? She LOVES shooting the Glock and Colt 45's !!!!! Go figure!

All I can say, is if she shoots as well as my wife, I would NOT want to be on the receiving end of either caliber she chooses.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My wife, to my utter consternation and grief, would rather load up her Colt SAA (.357) than grab either my S&W mdl 65 or any of the .45 1911s that are already loaded and ready. She actually shoots them all equally well... it's just that with her "cowboy" background, she's more familar and comfortable with her SAA.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

The SU16 is a fine, light rifle. Easy to use and operate from my experience. Kinda surprised with the SUb2k results, though the kick could be attributed to the .40. Scale it back to the 9mm maybe? I hear the triggers are notoriously mushy, so not sure how you would get around that, in addition to cheek weld issues. It's a great budget carbine but it's not perfect.

Handguns just take practice practice practice. Even lower recoil ones. Would not attribute that to their overall skill in any way shape or form. My wife doesn't like shotguns either, but I introduced her to a 12g. My bad :D
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

As long as it works.

Bingo!! LOL :lol:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

madman4570 wrote:Guys, I brought this reply of mine over on a new post because I was amazed of results and didn't want it to get overlooked.

Had quite an unexpected outcome yesterday.
Had my wife (and she took a special Handgun Defense course)and two other women(just women that very rarely shoot)like maybe once a month at the club(recreational stuff)

Anyhow,we setup in the pistol range a three different combat sceniros of 20ft/45ft/90ft

For the tests we had them use the following-----------20ga Rem 1100 20" barrel/ Glock 17 9mm/ Colt AR15 .223/Kel-Tec Sub2K .40S&W/ Kel-Tec SU16-B .223/and finally a Ruger 4" GP100 shooting mild .38 Specials.

Very unexpected results------ALL THREE(by a large margain)favored---(and did the best with)----The SU16-B (Bravo)
My gut feeling is if it wasn't the B model----would have been different????

They all said (that gun just fit them/was easiest to shoot well,handle and felt in a life or death situation (they would want that gun)

They said it just was easiest QUICKLY bringing it to target and hitting the target.
The Shotgun(LT20 w/buck barrel)didn't fit em as well and moved off target after each shot too much ???
The Colt was too big and heavy.
The Sub2K didn't point as well/kicked too much/and trigger pull was weird?????
Both handguns they could'nt hit targets as well and even those light cals (kicked,moved off target way more than the SU16-B)even my wife????

The SU16-A they ALL said fit perfect/came on target with ease/trigger pull smooth/no kick/and the rest they couldn't really explain but said it just was easiest/felt best/and they by reviewing their targets(they did shoot it the best???

In that gun I had the 10rd mag staggered (2 each after each other)Hornady Superformance 53gr/Handloaded 55gr FMJ
In the 9mm----Remington 115gr FMJ
.38 special ----Remington 158gr SWC
.40S&W----Magtech 180gr FMJ
Colt AR15-----Hornady 62gr Match
20ga----Winchester 2.75" 00Buck

Also(I think because of the AK47 design)they thought the SU16-B was the easiest to load/work etc. in a panic situation other than the Ruger GP100 ????????????????(why not the Glock)??????????????????you got me!
Actually when watching them think it was because they all used their hip(butt of gun against hip)left hand holding short forearm and just easy racking the action as with a AK
Anyway-----them be the results here??????????
And if you'd had an M1 Carbine in the pile you may have had some prefer it as well. It's my wife's favorite rifle, by far, and her friends all seem to agree. Even next to an M4 carbine or one of my 9mm carbines they always seem to prefer the little M1.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

My wife is a pretty good shot and likes to shoot handguns up to 9mm and 38spl chamberings but her favorite "housegun" is a Stevens Mod 59 bolt action .410 shotgun that my Dad gave her years ago.

I pity any varmint that gets in front of her when she is holding that thing.

She actually has two of them now; one in the kitchen pantry the other in the bedroom.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The first gun my wife ever fired other than her brother's BB-gun once, was a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum, using hot 240 grain loads. I was prepared to 'catch' the gun when she dropped it, but she just looked over her shoulder back at me and said "How do I make it go again...?" That's when we changed status from 'dating' to 'engaged'... :twisted:

Twenty years later she hip-fired eight rounds from a Garand, and told me she just "felt better" (after someone had annoyed/chased her on her way home that night).

Sound basis for good marriage... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

AJMD429 wrote:The first gun my wife ever fired other than her brother's BB-gun once, was a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum, using hot 240 grain loads. I was prepared to 'catch' the gun when she dropped it, but she just looked over her shoulder back at me and said "How do I make it go again...?" That's when we changed status from 'dating' to 'engaged'... :twisted:

Twenty years later she hip-fired eight rounds from a Garand, and told me she just "felt better" (after someone had annoyed/chased her on her way home that night).

Here is one for ya :D
That Kel-Tec .40 SUB2K she don't like as well as my SU16-B
That SUB2K was her Annivesary present I bought her this year :cry:
I still am taking a ribbing on that from all her sisters!
Not her brother though------he knows better :wink: :D
Isn't that precious! :oops:
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Good topic and informative. I have two nieces who like to shoot. One is a real gunny and one likes it once in a while. We got talking of the verious guns out there and they indicated they would like to try some of mine. Well it worked out well. Since then I have gifted them each new Browning Hi-Powers, smith and wesson M-10' 5", each a ruger MkIII 4" 22lr. Each also got one of my M1 Carbines each, a load of ammo, think two foot lockers, plus a bunch of magazines. One got a kel-tec PF9 she loves, the other got a Sig 380 she really likes. I fitted them with Laser Sites, Now I may be gifting one of the my Kel-16B. One got my Henry 22LR levergun. The one who is a gunny bought herself a .45 full size govt. model as well as several other Sig's and loves to shoot. The other one hangs with a lot of liberals and keeps her guns out of sight. It is fun to teach and train them. I have learned let the woman try and let her find what she likes. Take the strangeness out of them and they can really come along. On shotguns, I used to train a bunch of LEO's Male and Female and found if you fit the shotgun to the shooter they will like it. Of course the agency I worked for wouldn't let me do that claimed it just wasn't done. Just saying get a woman to shoot is fun.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

madman4570 wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:The first gun my wife ever fired other than her brother's BB-gun once, was a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum, using hot 240 grain loads. I was prepared to 'catch' the gun when she dropped it, but she just looked over her shoulder back at me and said "How do I make it go again...?" That's when we changed status from 'dating' to 'engaged'... :twisted:

Here is one for ya :D
That Kel-Tec .40 SUB2K she don't like as well as my SU16-B
That SUB2K was her Annivesary present I bought her this year :cry:
I still am taking a ribbing on that from all her sisters!
Not her brother though------he knows better :wink: :D
Isn't that precious! :oops:

If i bought my wife a gun for an anniversary present, she would likely load it with rock salt somehow and use it on me ! :lol:

Sadly, a weekend getaway to Dallas plus a couple of dinners at Ruth's Chris ( a steakhouse, may be regional, IDK) - would probably set me back more than a lot of firearms would cost :oops: :oops:
----- Doug
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

COSteve wrote:

As long as it works.

Another long gun to consider is the M1 Carbine for the same reasons. Every woman I teach gets the M1 Carbine as their first centerfire rifle after a 22lr. It's small size, light weight, low recoil, and low muzzle report seems to suit them all. After that we transition to the AR but most like the M1 Carbine better because of it's significantly smaller size.[/qu

very good idea, i think that light, natural pointability is the key. kinda like a ruger 10/22

also would be neat if it also could handle say a 357 cartridge, or similar.
cable