Rails tactical doth not make.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Rails tactical doth not make.

Post by Panzercat »

So you know, I was really on the fence concerning Mossberg's newest abomination, the 464 SPX. It looks fun, but I couldn't help but to ask myself, what makes this darn thing so 'tactical'? A folding stock? Ehhh. Some rails? I guess. The black theme? Maybe. But frankly, I'm just not seeing it. Part of my dissent- a good part of it, in fact -is in the capacity. It's hard for me to take 5+1 seriously and call it tactical. I'm not saying you can't do the job with 5 shots and yeah you can top off at will, but everybody and their buddy more endurance than your 'tactical' lever gun.

Let me make it clear that lever platform is a fine peace keeping tool and plenty of police still carry it. Ironically, their rifles are just as tactical as the SPX.

I guess last night firmed up my fence sitting concerning the SPX as in nah, not gonna buy. Why last night? I installed sling mounts on my Marinecote 464. Unlike an SPX, I can mount a total of 9 rounds on the stock, 20 on the sling and 5 in the pipe. 34 total. I can probably find a clamp for a flashlight/laser if i really felt like it in lieu of rails. Firesights are great for anything inside 50y. Tactical? Meh. This is all the tactical I need.

Now put the SPX in a pistol caliber 357 or 454 i'd be all over it ;)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Rails tactical doth not make.

Post by Griff »

+1. I'll just stick with my Trapper, or if I need more, my M-1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

a good levergun in 30/30 (actually any pistol cartridge will work) with a good receiver sight is as tactical as i care to get...i do like your offering though... :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Either one of these is better than the one they're trying to sell...

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=31062

Plus, either one will with just the sights shown on it, enable one to hit a baseball-sized target at 50 yards in pitch-black darkness.

No need for the lots-of-rails 'tacti-cool' whiz-bangs...

(. . . but they're loads of fun, too. . . :wink: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

I thought having 3 rails none which are for mounting a scope, wasn't well thought out. Give me 2 rails, one to mount a scope, one to mount a flashlight.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rifleman wrote:I thought having 3 rails none which are for mounting a scope, wasn't well thought out. Give me 2 rails, one to mount a scope, one to mount a flashlight.
ExxxxACTLY...!!!

All they'd have had to do is put a forward-extended rail on top (the XS Scout Rail does that pretty well), and just a simple matter of a short chunk of rail 'welded' onto the magazine tube. Neither would be a major part or manufacturing change, as they would be add-on or swappable parts (in fact someone could easily manufacture after-market magazine tubes in the two or three common diameters with rails on them, which would fit most any levergun).
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

I have been realizing the tactical benefits of a good levergun. I'm a fan of "short" barreled rifles (like 16 inchers). My stainless Rossi 92 44MAG 16" is fast becoming my favorite rifle. I never thought I'd get over my infatuation with my Rem sniper rifle but my Rossi has great close to mid range tactical benefits. I need to go reload some more 44MAG rounds.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I carry a pre-64 Model 94 in the trunk of my unmarked cruiser, but it moves up front for hot calls and when armed robbery BOLO's get broadcast.

I don't have any trouble at all running with the EBR boys at qualifications and I usually wax them on the 100 yard stage. The old rifle has no mods aside from a black, nylon glove pouch on the sling with an extra 12 rounds in it. So I reckon that makes it tack-tickle.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
oneyeopn
Levergunner 1.0

Post by oneyeopn »

The new Mossberg Tactical Leveraction, it is such an anachronism in words. I am also a member of the S&W M&P15 forum and I really do love my M&P15 Sport. Although I have set it up for Prairie Dog hunting and shoot many of them well over 200 yards with it. When the Mossberg was announced we all laughed at it. You have to admit it is butt ugly, but for some strange reason I want one. I love my Marlin 336 in 30-30. I have the Williams 5D sight on it and it is a great hunting/target/plinking rifle. I havent tried it on PDogs yet but I probably will eventually. I dont have lasers or red dots or any of that stuff on my AR just a 6-24x50 Bushnell Scope and a free floated barrel. But I do want one and I figured that they probably will come down in price or I will find someone who wants to trade out of one. I cant explain it, it makes no sense, but I would like one in 30-30...I guess I must be crazy. I sure cannot justify owning one but would love to have one.
USMC
We are not in a post-cold war period, we are in an inter-war period!!
Rossi 92 in 45Colt
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sarge wrote:I carry a pre-64 Model ... I don't have any trouble at all running with the EBR boys at qualifications and I usually wax them on the 100 yard stage. The old rifle has no mods aside from a black, nylon glove pouch on the sling with an extra 12 rounds in it. So I reckon that makes it tack-tickle.
Excellent!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Irelander wrote:I have been realizing the tactical benefits of a good levergun. I'm a fan of "short" barreled rifles (like 16 inchers). My stainless Rossi 92 44MAG 16" is fast becoming my favorite rifle. I never thought I'd get over my infatuation with my Rem sniper rifle but my Rossi has great close to mid range tactical benefits. I need to go reload some more 44MAG rounds.
I like the way you think... Seriously - if you have already the long-range 'pointy-bullet' shooting gun, then everything else can be managed by a 16" levergun in a 'pistol' cartridge, other than stuff you might want a shotgun or .375 H&H for stopping 'right now'...

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Tactical is the most overused word in the firearms world today. It's a buzz word that seems to sell stuff to youngsters. And, let's face it, the firearms companies are targeting the youngsters, they've got years of buying ahead of them.

With the exception of my AR the boys gave me, I don't own anything "tactical". I prefer strategic weapons. You know something large that can reach out and destroy stuff.

In a levergun that means a big hunk of lead moving at moderate speed that when it gets there does some damage. Think the BUFF and iron bombs to put it into something even the kids will understand. For me, that means:
Not a lot of little bullets, but a few big ones that hit hard and breaks stuff, like joints, heavy long bones and spines.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sarge, as a rural Deputy, I put the shotgun in the trunk, and a mdl 94 in the rack. And no handicap at qualifying either!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Griff wrote:Sarge, as a rural Deputy, I put the shotgun in the trunk, and a mdl 94 in the rack. And no handicap at qualifying either!
I haven't been far from one, on the job, for well over 20 years. Some years back I ran a call involving some prospective bank robbers who got 'made' sitting in a parking lot & skedaddled. I happened to be in the crew who caught them and when the wheels stopped rolling, I was off their Four O'Clock racking a round up. One of them said "Mister pleeease, don't shoot me with that thing. I have seen what they do to the inside of a deer!"

That calming effect was contagious and erry'body did 'zactly what they was told after that point. I had to smile to myself and wonder how many lawmen besides myself, since 1895, have experienced it.
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

Sarge wrote:
I haven't been far from one, on the job, for well over 20 years. Some years back I ran a call involving some prospective bank robbers who got 'made' sitting in a parking lot & skedaddled. I happened to be in the crew who caught them and when the wheels stopped rolling, I was off their Four O'Clock racking a round up. One of them said "Mister pleeease, don't shoot me with that thing. I have seen what they do to the inside of a deer!"

That calming effect was contagious and erry'body did 'zactly what they was told after that point. I had to smile to myself and wonder how many lawmen besides myself, since 1895, have experienced it.
That is awesome! Thank you for your service to your state and this country.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Thank you, Irelander.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Nice to know I'm not the only odd duck. I simply have more faith in the 94, and what I can do with it, than self loaders in general. Most self loaders are not handy to have around, being, to me, bulky and awkward compared to a 94, or even a bolt sporter. I see the reason for modern military type weapons on a battlefield, and in group actions, but I don't live on a battlefield, I think I can deal with any realistic issues I'll ever have with the Winchester. Self loaders to me have been fun plinkers, but I rarely ever took one along in real, every day life, meaning it wouldn't likely be at hand if needed. I always have a Winchester around.

Mine are really tactical, they have good receiver sights and slings, and handle like a dream.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Malamute wrote:Self loaders to me have been fun plinkers, but I rarely ever took one along in real, every day life, meaning it wouldn't likely be at hand if needed. I always have a Winchester around.

Mine are really tactical, they have good receiver sights and slings, and handle like a dream.
When you think about it, other than plinking/range fun, the semiautos would be very useful in a 'battle' with multiple assailants, where the rapid reloading and fast-shooting could indeed be vital. However, a good levergun is nothing to be trifled with, especially if an experienced shooter is operating it.

If it means anything, my 'bump-in-the-night' gun is STILL a levergun, despite having several other 'military-style' semiautos to choose from over the years. Since I'm not living in Africa or Alaska, and don't anticipate facing Kevlar-protected predators (maybe I'm socially/politically naive there), there's not much a .45 Colt from a levergun won't deal with adequately. Maybe if the nearby zoo has an escaped rhinocerous... :roll:

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

My lever resides less than 10ft from my bed, 5 in the tube.
I have every confidence that it will handle any 3am 'tactical' situation I encounter short of the coming Undead Ninja Laser Grizzly Bear invasion. :D

And by the way, does it annoy anybody else that physics apparently gets suspended when others talk about the 30-30? Because apparently it's the only bullet that will travel out to 100 yards and simply stop, then fall out of the sky without hitting anything. God forbid you talk about 200 or better. /grumble
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.