Date night ideas?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Date night ideas?

Post by Streetstar »

I have the grand scheme of starting a "date night" evry week or couple of weeks with my wife that doesn't include spending time at the motocross track or shooting range (brutal , i know) --- i'm 41 and am somewhat disgusted with crowded places like bars and movie theaters on the weekends . Plus both of us are staying fairly close to a "clean" diet plan, so eating out is not in the cards --

---- any ideas for a couple who doesnt go out to eat, go to bars, or movies?

Its been so long since i thought about a "date" that i feel a twinge of regret for even bringing it up, but i briefly saw her eyes light up when i casually mentioned "doing something" this morning thats not moto or cycling related and i can't disappoint her now

any ideas given those constraints?

i know this is a long way away from a levergun topic , but i am really stuck here since i opened my big mouth this morning :oops:
----- Doug
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Date night ideas?

Post by Griff »

Museum, plays, opera, cowboy hall of fame, rodeo, Things to do. And why not eat out once a month? Salads are usually ok on any diet, and can be inexpensive to boot! Look at live productions by the local colleges.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I see you live in OK, and it's been a while since I was there, but try taking short trips to places of local interest, museums of art, history, special interest events.

I am a horrible dancer, but still get out on the floor with my wife at least once or twice when we go. Most women LOVE to go dancing. Dont know how, take lessons, I did but am still horrible.

We are very fortunate here on the central coast of Ca to have MANY options of places to go hiking, or to the beach (30 min drive) .

How about dinner shows, I know you have the diet thing so ya dont have to eat. Comedy clubs, I am sure there's lots to do, ya just gotta look for it.

Happy wife, happy life! :wink:

Been hapily married 38 years, by the way.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Ur Heart is in the right place,there is No One I would like to make Happy more than My Bride of 42 years come Nov 1.
Since eating out is out go for a walk in the the Mall, around a lake or pond or get Bikes and go for rides. We live in a commercial world and doing things that don't cost money are far and few between.
I hear of date nights more & more lately and thats a good thing. I guess during Football season Friday nights would be Our date Nite with 4 G-sons playing. Others will come along with more Ideas but I am with You on the Bar scenes , Movies ( I'll bet we haven't been to a movie more than a dozen times in 42 years and I despise walkin Movies). We do still eat out though and that can be pretty expensive.
Seems like the simple things U enjoy the Most. Above all have Fun and let Her know She is the pride of Ur life.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Word: Ballroom Dancing Lessons 8) Honest :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Thanks guys --- that was quick , --- i have a few hours to drum something up so i will be evaluating all you guys' ideas (the ballroom dancing part might be a stretch this evening, but i won't rule out on another weekend ).

We are together a lot overall --- she is my designated ride to the hospital if i hurt myself at the mx track, -- she is my "crew chief" at bicycle races etc. etc. , basically she supports all my activities and doesn't complain too much, but i know sometimes she'd rather be someplace else than at the track
----- Doug
Tumbleweeds II
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tumbleweeds II »

I vote for ballroom. Every woman I know has seen "Scent of a Woman" and every one would like to dance like that - with a man like that. Dancing makes them randy. Hoo-ah!
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Why not ask her what she wants to do? Even if it's something painful to bear, it'll only last a couple of hours and you'll get extra points.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Take her out for a cup of coffe and a movie she might like.

Buy a six-pack of her favorite or a bottle of wine.

Fire up the grill.

Sit and talk to her for a while.

Let her read a magazine while you cook and clean up.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

44-40 Willy wrote:Why not ask her what she wants to do? Even if it's something painful to bear, it'll only last a couple of hours and you'll get extra points.
She'll just say "I dont know - whatever you want is okay by me" ----
----- Doug
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

We go to the zoo and to her home town of Cripple creek ( her dad owned the pool hall and they lived on the second floor so she literally grew up in a pool hall) - eat out a different restaurants but at 5:00 PM to miss the crowds - plus - we go out to breakfast every week.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

First off, not all bars are created equal. I detest crowded noisy drunk fests but we have a couple local, middle aged hangouts we like to sit, drink and talk. Honestly, Irish or not, a good Irish themed pub can be ideal.

Parks and lakes are a man's best friend for date night if the weather is good. Fire up the grill, catfish (even farm raised, store bought) over coals is great if you're watching what you eat. Quiet walks and watching the sunset is really where it's at.

Don't knock the dancing idea though. Learning to 2 step might of very well saved my parents marriage many moons ago. While the idea of ballroom dancing curdles my blood both my wife and I have a thing for swing and would really like it if a '20's type swing club started up around here. Even a crowed, noisy, drunk fest type swing club would work occasionally.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, you are so young, let :) me thonk ...
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

she is my designated ride to the hospital if i hurt myself at the mx track, -- she is my "crew chief" at bicycle races etc. etc. , basically she supports all my activities and doesn't complain too much, but i know sometimes she'd rather be someplace else than at the track

Shut up right now and do what ever she darned well wants to! (laughing)

Seriously, sounds like you got a good thing going and a great idea. I don't know about ballroom dancing, but clogging or square dancing are also options.

OK? A nice or a weekend of a roundup would be fun...don't know what she would think of the bulls-to-steers part.

The important thing is pick something that you *never* thought you could see yourself or both of you doing. If in doubt open the phone book to the yellow pages, close your eyes and point at something. Never, ever tell her before what you're doing before you get there.

I and most of the board will expect a full report AND PICTURES! No gettin' out of it now bro, you're committed. We are waiting......
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Old Savage wrote:Well, you are so young, let :) me thonk ...
Come on Fred, just cause date "night" has turned into date "evening" or date "afternoon" doesn't mean you have to ruin it for all the young folks :D
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Thanks OC for reminding me to add I'm only 86 - I may change my habits when I get old - with a bride taht looked like this 33 years ago -

And now 33 years later -

I've got it made !!

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

OS , I think if we were to equate each other's skills with the ladies to a golf game --- you would still be driving from the pro tee's , while i'm still playing from the Jr Tee's at a local 9 hole

I think my wife felt sorry for me and decided to take me in long ago, much like i tend to do with small animals occasionally now :lol:
----- Doug
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Coon hunting, skunk huntin, bat huntin, see there's plenty of things to do on date night, I have plenty of time to think of this stuff cause I'm single again.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

walks with gun wrote:Coon hunting, skunk huntin, bat huntin, see there's plenty of things to do on date night, I have plenty of time to think of this stuff cause I'm single again.
Oh yea, I forgot, you darn near in the country, snipe huntin' & cow tippin' in case she ain't ever done those!

OJ, saw that first pic, and said, wow, that sure looks like my sister! Saw the second and said, Lucky for OJ, it wasn't!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Believe it or not, ballet and opera can be awesome. Just read the story before you attend, so you know what the heck's going on. My artsy-fartsy wife knows all the 'classics' by heart and all the subtle plots and symbolisms, but it took me awhile to realize that way above the stage there were shown the words to the opera-songs. :oops:

Take a class together in star-gazing, ham-radio, knitting, or whatever.

Plant a garden.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

If it were still the dead of summer an evening hike by a remote stream with some nice swimming holes for some cool down skinny dipping. Then ice cream afterwards or an open campfire and marshmallows. :wink:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

For tonight(to get you through)--------------------Bowling or Roller Skating!
Also when you have some time to research it (the dancing lessons thing is a blast)

Blaine had a good one!
What my wife and I took was Line Dancing(a absolute riot)very fun and then after a year of that (Clogging lessons) :D fun/fun/fun and you get a workout.

Do you guys like Jazz???(your getting to the right age)----take her bowling tonight/find a nice quiet "jazz club" and have one or two (Healthy---Vodka/cranberry juice on the rocks drinks)sit and talk,hold her hand,massage her shoulders and just enjoy each other.
Do more listening than talking(priority #1 her feelings)

Whatever you do----just do something outside of the normal---try some new stuff----------------Have a blast! :wink:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Doug,
I hear 'ya loud and clear. My better half and I just celebrated our 40th.................at home. Like you, we seldom go out to eat, I refuse to go to the movies, (partonizing liberals makes me gag.) never did go to bars.....in fact...........I might go as far to say we are anti-social. I have TWO good friends. I tell everyone else to hit the road as the only thing they want is what they can get out of you. That goes for phone calls too---did anyone ever call you up to say they found a hundred dollar bill with your name on it? Noooooo, its "hey, I "need" this or "that".

The older I get, the more I dislike most people. We only socialize with people who think like us and do the same stuff. if you are not a guncrank, I have no use for you. My wife is the same with horse people.

After all these years we find out the best of times comes right under your nose.....at home. Our menagerie of animals completes the date. I believe its commercial brainwashing that makes us all feel the need to "go out". Pi*s on 'em. When we do go out, its for a ride upstate, gunshows, horse auctions or anywhere away from the backstabbing populace which is so common today. Thats good enough for us and its been working for 40 years. :D ------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

The time-proven goofy golf! :)
+1 all "bars" are not created equal. "Cocktails" versus major drinking or rowdy atmosphere focus. Find a "club" where they're playing music you'd both enjoy--or that she'd like and you at least tolerate! Something quiet enough that you can hear each other reasonably without yelling.
Whatever, keep it simple, while still special,...but reasonably low key and not requiring great input on either's part.(Problem with something super physical like a hike as a "date."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:Doug,
I hear 'ya loud and clear. My better half and I just celebrated our 40th.................at home. Like you, we seldom go out to eat, I refuse to go to the movies, (partonizing liberals makes me gag.) never did go to bars.....in fact...........I might go as far to say we are anti-social. I have TWO good friends. I tell everyone else to hit the road as the only thing they want is what they can get out of you. That goes for phone calls too---did anyone ever call you up to say they found a hundred dollar bill with your name on it? Noooooo, its "hey, I "need" this or "that".

The older I get, the more I dislike most people. We only socialize with people who think like us and do the same stuff. if you are not a guncrank, I have no use for you. My wife is the same with horse people.

After all these years we find out the best of times comes right under your nose.....at home. Our menagerie of animals completes the date. I believe its commercial brainwashing that makes us all feel the need to "go out". Pi*s on 'em. When we do go out, its for a ride upstate, gunshows, horse auctions or anywhere away from the backstabbing populace which is so common today. Thats good enough for us and its been working for 40 years. :D ------------------Sixgun
Amen :!:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
turnkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by turnkey »

Bowling? :D
"Every day a holiday, every meal a feast, every paycheck a treasure."
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Putt-Putt
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

We're going to Salina Pow Wow today. You know, over east of Tulsa almost in the old Cherokee Reservation. Lots of indian food, art, craft and I think a stomp dance tonight. Gotta expose the Grandchildren to their heritage and it's where the wife grew up and went to school. She'll know half the people there.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

UPDATE:

Sixgun, your style sounds close to mine, --

but this thread has given me tons of new ideas --- last night didnt have enough pre-planning

sadly, i felt like i blew it a little bit --- i have a large offroad motorcycle race to attend tomorrow, sp yesterday i pounded out practice laps , then got on a rowing machine for 30 minutes afterwards --- by the time my wife got home at 6pm, i felt like doing nothing

--- but...... i had taken the top off my little Jeep, so we went for na early evening drive , stopped by an organic market to pick out something for me to prepare for dinner, i stopped for other supplies at a couple other places, --- then we went home, i made a reasonably good dinner and we just talked about things . I tried to encourage her to talk about her world, and i did not mention either my job or motocross once, just made it an evening about her. Attempted to watch a dvd together, but i fell asleep within 15 minutes

I really thought i had blown the evening until i overheard her talking to her mom on the phone this morning --- she was bragging about the low key "date night" we had and how we got along the whole night , etc etc. (Thank you, Jeep :) )

It touched me a little bit , because she was bragging about something so simple, i should be treating her that way every night --- thanks can go pretty smooth if you adopt a "what can I do for you" attitude, instead of a "What can you do for me" attitude once in a while

Oh, i will definitely be referencing this thread for quite a while too --- :D -- lots of stuff on here that can form the basis of a marriage bucket-list of sorts
----- Doug
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

There. You. Go.

Keep it up.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Streetstar wrote:UPDATE:

Sixgun, your style sounds close to mine, --

Oh, i will definitely be referencing this thread for quite a while too --- :D -- lots of stuff on here that can form the basis of a marriage bucket-list of sorts
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Awesome!
Dude, you have to be indeed one very fit lad!
My idea for the little wife(preparing a "healthy" meal) :?:
Grabbing two----- foot long Subway Veggie Subs and a bottle of organic Merlot. :D

Good on you Bro! :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Why every night is date night - invite a sister in law over and laugh and drink wine - well, this was actually Sunday morning but you can make up things that never happened. What does Bob know - he is off fishing. Don't think you fellows have seen slutty, sexy Sue before. :D

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Fine looking lady! :wink:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

PillHer thinks bowling is a great date night. The fact that her league average is about 188 right now, and I struggle to reach 100 is a bit embarrassing. She also loves museums. Next time Mannheim Steamroller comes through town, I will get tickets for us. They are OK, I guess, but she really likes them. In the mean time, next Saturday night I am making Fettucini Alfredo with grilled chicken for a candlelight dinner while the kids are at a movie. Yes, the noodles are the refrigerated kind, and not the dried ones, and the cheese is Parmiggiano Reggiano to be mixed into the reduced heavy cream. I am not Italian, and can't cook like one, but I do have a good recipe for this.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:Word: Ballroom Dancing Lessons 8) Honest :oops:
yikes... :O
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Nothing beats a hand in hand walk in the woods with Hilde for me. Fall colors are starting and there is a lot of woods out there.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

The Rodeo Opry down on Excange Street in the Stockyard district is a good date night. Saturdays... cheap,,, no rowdy crowds and the music is always pretty good.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

My wife and I adopted kids late and dates are still too rare. We find the most valued time is the driving to the date happening! When we drive we talk freely and enjoy it very much. We also like spending coffee evenings with friends our own age. I find as I get older my world gets smaller and staying in touch helps.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Paint the kitchen or spare bedrooom together. We both hate the prep work, like everybody ese. So when I treat my wife, I do all the masking, drop cloth work, etc.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Take her to watch the submarine races at the creek!

That ought to spic'n up the love life!