More on suppressors...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

More on suppressors...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Not "Levergunny" enough?

Look at the picture of Maxim's Patent Application as shown on pg 74 of the Rifleman...

Gee, kinda looks like a levergun... :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Re: More on suppressors...

Post by Irelander »

Check these babies out...

I'd love to have a suppressor on my Rossi 92 44MAG for use with 44SPL loads.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

just duct tape a potatoe on. :wink:
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Irelander wrote:I'd love to have a suppressor on my Rossi 92 44MAG for use with 44SPL loads.
Just get the barrel threaded - you'll need to shorten the magazine tube by one round (or more if you want). I forget the standard thread size/pitch for .45 ACP type guns, but a .45 ACP suppressor should work fine with subsonic .44 Special loads.

You can just buy the suppressor 'on-line' if there are no Class-III dealers in your area, then once the purchase is complete and you 'own' a suppressor with a specific serial number, they send you the paperwork to fill out. Two passport-photos and a $200 'tax' [yeah, I know :roll: ], and then just wait for the 'background check'. Mine took about six months, maybe a bit less.

I recommend Libertycans.com and ThompsonMachine.com - both are quality outfits, and you can email or call with questions and get solid answers.

Yes, the total project might cost up to $1,000, but you'll have a gun that is as unique and valuable as any 'vintage' type collectable one, and probably even more valuable if times get 'rough'. Of course the suppressor can be used on any other similar-or-lesser pressure, or diameter, cartridges, so even though the bore-size is different, you'd be able to use it on .38 Special, 9mm, .22 Hormet, and with most of them, .223 subsonic.

The Liberty 'Mystic' is only .357/9mm caliber, but is rated even for .308 Winchester IF you're shooting sub-sonic loads (which are the only ones going to be really quiet anyway).

Strongly consider getting a can that is able to be taken apart for cleaning. That adds some cost and some weight, because it's easiest to make a won't-blow-up can by just welding everything tight, but if you can take it apart, it will last forever even if you use 'dirty' cast-bullet loads or wax-coated rimfires.

A centerfire-capable suppressor, even if way over-bore (i.e. one in .45 caliber), will do a great job of suppressing .22 LR, so you theoretically could meet ALL your needs with just one suppressor, constructed in the highest-diameter you anticipate needing.

I have a Gemtech 'Trek' made for .223 that is welded, and a very nice can for my Mini-14 (makes it sound like disconnecting an air-hose from an impact tool, even with super-sonics - never shot subsonic .223's yet), and I do use it for .22 LR (even with a Mark-III/45 pistol it really isn't that annoying weight-wise, vs. the dedicated rimfire cans, but it IS larger-diameter, so you need high sights or a red-dot scope), but due to the difficulty of keeping it clean (solvents seem to work, but you know there's crud accumulating from the dirty .22 LR rounds), I can't wait until I get my Mystic .357/9mm can to use on my .22's, since it can be taken apart to clean. Plus, I can still use it on .223's once I get some subsonic loads going, if I want. Mostly I want the Mystic for the .300 AAC Blackout and a 9mm carbine I have, though.

Suppressors are really fun, and yeah, they are expensive, but by the time most folks get around to buying them, they have spent far more money on far less useful 'gun' stuff, so it is all a matter of perspective.

They are also the BEST single thing equipment-wise for training new shooters. A suppressed .22 LR allows them to shoot without anticipating what to a 'newbie' is a LOUD noise of that .22 LR going off. I've taught newbies both ways, and it always makes a difference.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

I wonder how mine out door target ranges would be saved from closing, if sound suppresser was use at them, to prevent.
Noise pollution, where is the EPA when you need them? Suppressors also prevents hearing loss ,and you shouldn't need a ATF class three license to by them.
Last edited by tomtex on Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The idgit that owns the 338 Lapua I was messing with a month or two ago got a suppressor for that cannon . This guy is a Class 3 dealer and actually builds suppressors but he didn't build his own for his cannon .

To be totally honest I never had an intrest in suppressors/silencers until maybe a year ago . And now I think I may have gotten over it LOL's .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

tomtex wrote:Noise pollution, where is the EPA when you need them? Suppressors also prevents hearing loss ,and you shouldn't need a ATF class three license to by them.
Yep - if anything, you should have to have a 'license' to NOT use one. . .
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

New advocacy group - ASU...

Audiologists for Suppressor Use?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

AJMD429 wrote:
Irelander wrote:I'd love to have a suppressor on my Rossi 92 44MAG for use with 44SPL loads.
Just get the barrel threaded - you'll need to shorten the magazine tube by one round (or more if you want). I forget the standard thread size/pitch for .45 ACP type guns, but a .45 ACP suppressor should work fine with subsonic .44 Special loads.

You can just buy the suppressor 'on-line' if there are no Class-III dealers in your area, then once the purchase is complete and you 'own' a suppressor with a specific serial number, they send you the paperwork to fill out. Two passport-photos and a $200 'tax' [yeah, I know :roll: ], and then just wait for the 'background check'. Mine took about six months, maybe a bit less.

I recommend Libertycans.com and ThompsonMachine.com - both are quality outfits, and you can email or call with questions and get solid answers.

Yes, the total project might cost up to $1,000, but you'll have a gun that is as unique and valuable as any 'vintage' type collectable one, and probably even more valuable if times get 'rough'. Of course the suppressor can be used on any other similar-or-lesser pressure, or diameter, cartridges, so even though the bore-size is different, you'd be able to use it on .38 Special, 9mm, .22 Hormet, and with most of them, .223 subsonic.

The Liberty 'Mystic' is only .357/9mm caliber, but is rated even for .308 Winchester IF you're shooting sub-sonic loads (which are the only ones going to be really quiet anyway).

Strongly consider getting a can that is able to be taken apart for cleaning. That adds some cost and some weight, because it's easiest to make a won't-blow-up can by just welding everything tight, but if you can take it apart, it will last forever even if you use 'dirty' cast-bullet loads or wax-coated rimfires.

A centerfire-capable suppressor, even if way over-bore (i.e. one in .45 caliber), will do a great job of suppressing .22 LR, so you theoretically could meet ALL your needs with just one suppressor, constructed in the highest-diameter you anticipate needing.

I have a Gemtech 'Trek' made for .223 that is welded, and a very nice can for my Mini-14 (makes it sound like disconnecting an air-hose from an impact tool, even with super-sonics - never shot subsonic .223's yet), and I do use it for .22 LR (even with a Mark-III/45 pistol it really isn't that annoying weight-wise, vs. the dedicated rimfire cans, but it IS larger-diameter, so you need high sights or a red-dot scope), but due to the difficulty of keeping it clean (solvents seem to work, but you know there's crud accumulating from the dirty .22 LR rounds), I can't wait until I get my Mystic .357/9mm can to use on my .22's, since it can be taken apart to clean. Plus, I can still use it on .223's once I get some subsonic loads going, if I want. Mostly I want the Mystic for the .300 AAC Blackout and a 9mm carbine I have, though.

Suppressors are really fun, and yeah, they are expensive, but by the time most folks get around to buying them, they have spent far more money on far less useful 'gun' stuff, so it is all a matter of perspective.

They are also the BEST single thing equipment-wise for training new shooters. A suppressed .22 LR allows them to shoot without anticipating what to a 'newbie' is a LOUD noise of that .22 LR going off. I've taught newbies both ways, and it always makes a difference.
I have a TAC65 suppressor for my .22s and I really love it. It is a user serviceable can so that is nice when it gets crudded up. I am planning to have it rebuilt by Huntertown Arms with their SS Kestrel baffle stack. It will be a nice upgrade for a cheap can.

If I had the cash to throw around, I'd be into an AAC TiRant45 or a SilencerCo Osprey45. I might even be able to use the factory sights on my '92 with the Osprey. The Thompson QMF-2 sounds cool as well as the Liberty Miranda. Need to check out their sound test numbers though. Wish I had the cash. There was a time that I thought about selling most of my guns and just having a few guns that all had suppressors. I still kick the idea around once in a while.

What .300BLK gun do you have? I've considered converting my Rem 700 to .300BLK since 500+ yard shooting is a rarity in this part of PA.

Do you have a levergun that is suppressor ready?

Glock Certified Armorer
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Irelander wrote:Do you have a levergun that is suppressor ready?
The only suppressed levergun I have is an integrally-suppressed Ruger 96/22, made up using a Thompson Machine 'Operative' model made for the Ruger 10/22. I had thought about using it on a Ruger 77/22, but the shank of the barrel is different, whereas the 10/22 and 96/22 are identical except 96 barrels have a second extractor-cut. I just filed the second cut by hand and dropped the Operative right in. Works like a charm, and is of course far quieter on the levergun than it would have been on the rattly-action semiauto.

Like you, I've thought about adding a can to a Rossi 92 - a 16" .357 Mag would be a natural, and the Liberty 'Mystic' should fit the role nicely using subsonics, and leave the gun balancing about like the longer-barreled versions do.

The 300 BLK I found was a S&W, and it seems decent enough; 1:7.5" twist was just what I wanted.

Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

AJMD429 wrote:
Irelander wrote:Do you have a levergun that is suppressor ready?
The only suppressed levergun I have is an integrally-suppressed Ruger 96/22, made up using a Thompson Machine 'Operative' model made for the Ruger 10/22. I had thought about using it on a Ruger 77/22, but the shank of the barrel is different, whereas the 10/22 and 96/22 are identical except 96 barrels have a second extractor-cut. I just filed the second cut by hand and dropped the Operative right in. Works like a charm, and is of course far quieter on the levergun than it would have been on the rattly-action semiauto.

Sweet! I've been eyeing up the Operative for a while now. Too bad they don't make the 96/22 anymore.

Glock Certified Armorer