How to drill and tap '92 barrel band for sling swivel?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

How to drill and tap '92 barrel band for sling swivel?

Post by Irelander »

I've read references to drilling and tapping the barrel band of the '92 lever actions but I haven't found the instructions. Can anyone point me in the right direction for instructions on this procedure?

Thanks.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Re: How to drill and tap '92 barrel band for sling swivel?

Post by Lefty Dude »

Uncle Mike's make a swivel set for Lever Guns. Years ago I bought a set for my 1895 Browning.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Here's what I used.
http://www.unclemikes.com/products/leve ... style.html
My gunsmith installed them in about ten minutes.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If someone doesn't post a better answer before the weekend, PM me and I can post more details; I've done a dozen for family and friends, after a 'learning curve' doing my own.

1. Mark the center of the band when it is ON the gun, as they are often asymmetric, as are the wooden forends.

2. Also mark which edge of the band is towards the muzzle, for the same reason.

3. Remove the band, then drill it with the appropriate sized drill bit (the Uncle Mike's stud should say, or you can go by the threaded diameter which I think (check this) is an '8' size, 32 threads per inch. Many charts on which drill to use for a given tap, and drills are measured in about ten different 'units' from 'gauge' to mm, to fractions-of-inch, and so on.

4. Get hold of some "Tap-Magic" - it workse FAR better than WD-40 or motor oil or whatever as a lubricant.

5. Get a couple (in case you break one) of the appropriate taps. For this use, it doesn't have to be a 'bottom' tap or anything like that.

6. If the band is padded with an old leather belt and in a vice, it is good, and if you can keep it in whatever 'vice' you use on a drill-press (if you didn't hand-drill it), that's even better. You can (with some tappers - see picture below from the 'Drilling & Tapping a Williams FP thread') use a piece of bolt, rod, or old drill-bit in the drill press to go in the hole on the TOP of the tapper, and that will assure you tap perfectly straight.

7. Go slowly, back up a half turn every turn or so, and keep the hole free of shavings and debris, even if you have to back all the way out with the tap.

8. Taps are hard enough to cut threads, but being 'brittle' is the trade-off; use firm but not 'excessive' pressure to turn them.

9. Once you're through enough the tap turns easily, threading is done; remove the tap.

10. Hand-file or Dremel the 'ridge' from around the hole.

11. You will want the outside (bottom) of the band to have a bit of a flat spot to mate with the swivel stud - just hand-file it.

12. SOME studs don't have threads all the way to the 'button' that has the hole in it for the sling swivel; they have a skinny threadless portion of the shaft there. For those you WILL need a filler - either the white washers that Uncle Mike's supplies, or a brass washer, or whatever.

13. I use epoxy or JB-Weld on the threads of both pieces, AFTER de-greasing them with brake-cleaner. Test-fit to be sure you can 'snug' to a position where the swivel-hole is perpindicular to the bore; if not add/subract a washer or file some more on the 'flat'.

14. After it is dried from step 13, I hand-file the protruding stub of thread on the inside surface of the band, until it is fairly flush with the band itself.

Hope this helps. Here's my thread on drilling and tapping for a Williams FP sight, that has some other photos and comments on tapping... http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25689

Oh yeah. . .

15. Schedule a week off work, get the kids out of the house, take some tranquilizers, and TRY to get the &^@%#*@&% thing back ON the gun without stripping the threads, scraping up everything, or getting so mad you throw the whole thing in the river...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I used to do all mine similar to the way Doc does, but when I did the Browning 92 with it's aluminum band, the 2 threads you end up with didnt look that secure, so I drilled thru the band to clear the outside of the threads and into the wood below, removed the band from the wood, ran a knurled nut onto the stud, put the stud into the hole in the wood, scribed around the nut and carefully inletted it into the wood with a dremel so the knurling grabbed. I beveled the edges of the nut so it mated well with the inside edge of the band, and put it back together. I also file a flat on the band so the base of the stud makes contact all the way against the band. If it doesn't index where you want, you can pull the nut and turn it a bit and push it back into the wood. To remove the band, you unscrew the stud, slide the band off, and you're good. The nut doesn't show under the band.

I get the stud sets for bolt action rifles, the one with one wood screw stud and one machine threaded stud with a nut, and cut the machine threaded stud to the length I want when done. If sets like that aren't available, just plain studs of those types often are available separately, or you can buy two sets of similar types to make a mixed set. I think the set intended for Remington 7400 rifles have the parts needed, and have a coupe parts left over, but it gets you ythe machine threaded stud for the front

I liked how well the nut worked out, I converted the threaded bands I had to that type. I never had a threaded band pull out, but they never instilled a lot of confidence with only about 2 threads holding the stud. I was always concious of it when in the woods with my gun slung. With the nut inletted under the band, I don't think you could possibly rip it out, you could only break the stud off. It has much more thread holding it than just the band can provide.

If doing it this way, you need to keep the band oriented the same way, and I keep the band with the fore end if I swap it to another rifle
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Malamute, that is a COOL alternative...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

That is an excellent idea.

I would only one suggestion to AJMD's very good write up and that to #12: None of the studs I have are threaded all the way to the end of the shank. So I run a threading die down it and get the threads I need.

Oh yea, Uncle Mike's has moved their sling stuff production to China, and it shows big time. So be careful and inspect what you buy to make sure it's what it should be. I quite buying their stuff and a Brownells tech told me they aren't stocking it anymore for that reason.

Cat
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Took a couple pictures, they also show the ball type studs that Williams used to sell. I think they look nicer than the Uncle Mikes type. I changed over most of my favorite rifles to this style, too bad they don't seem to be available any longer.

The threads don't have to go to the bottom of the stud when the nut is used, as the band is drilled thru and makes up for the unthreaded part.

Shows the knurled nut inletted into the fore end, and contoured to the shape of the inside of the band.

The overall view. I think the band mounted studs look very clean, I replaced the magazine band types I had after starting to do the fore end band mounted style.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Ready-mades. Who'd of thunk it. Now if they'd only make one for the end cap of a '86 like the model 71's had.
Old Law Dawg
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

Well after a little over a year, I am finally getting around to putting sling swivel studs on my Rossi '92. I like my slings mounted on the left side of the gun so when the rifle is slung across my back it lays flat. I just drilled and tapped the left side of the barrel band for a swivel stud I found laying around my bench. It has M5 threads and luckily I had an M5 tap at work to use. I had to stack up 3 nylon washers to make up for the unthreaded portion of the stud. The washers don't look the greatest but they seem to work. I used JB Weld as thread locker as recommended. Tomorrow I will grind down the rest of the stud on the inside of the barrel band so it fits flush.

The only problem is that I do not have a stud for the butt stock. I hate to buy a whole sling swivel set just for the wood screw stud. If any of you have the butt stock swivel stud and don't have a need for it, let me know and I will pay for the shipping.

Glock Certified Armorer
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If you happen by a gunshow in the NEXT year ;) , parts vendors usually have a box or three of QD studs/screws (both machine & wood screws) for about $1ea.

Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

A very generous forum member is sending me the swivel stud I need. Got the barrel band back on my '92 last night, so as soon as I get the butt stock stud I'll be good to go. It will be very nice to have a sling on my rifle for hunting this year. I always get tired of holding it in my arms all day while hunting.

Glock Certified Armorer