Hunting trips

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Hunting trips

Post by Marc »

My wife, Ginnette, and I closed out California's A-zone Sunday. A-zone is a six week season and bucks, forkhorn or better, are on the menu. Ginnette retired this summer so we were able to do it right. We made two five day trips and then spent six days last week in our favorite backcountry getaway. We use mountain bikes to get in. These are our rigs loaded to leave the campground on our first trip.

This was my thirtieth year hunting this country. One reason is that you can usually find a buck or two there but the other reason is it is beautiful country with unique features. This is a shot of the campground taken from a nearby ridge. The dominant feature in this area is the sandstone outcroppings. There are Indian paintings in several locations here including the outcropping behind the campground.

The rock art has deteriorated badly since I first saw it. The sandstone sheds layers of rock so little of the art is left and what is left is badly faded.

There are a lot of weird rock shapes too. The first is not so weird. I sheltered one rainy night many years ago in the "window". I was mostly dry except for a crack in the ceiling that leaked all night.

Rock shapes.

This one isn't sandstone but it looks like a little bear.

Another interesting cultural artifact is Lamar's cabin. This cabin was actually built on top of a high ridge three or four miles from where it is now. It was built in WWII as an aircraft lookout at a time when it was feared that the Japanese would attack the nearby oil fields with aircraft. After the war Lamar Johnston bought it and moved it to where it sits today. He piped water in from a spring and used it as a bunkhouse while working cattle. We get our drinking water there. The old cowboys called the hill behind the cabin "forkhorn hill" because they said you could always get a forkhorn there.

We had a little rain our second trip and got some good sunrise and sunset pics. Sunrise in Lion Canyon.

A couple of sunset shots.

Oh yeah we did hunt a little too. I got my first buck just to the right of the grassy peak in this picture on our second trip.

That was my meat buck so I was looking for something bigger to fill my second tag. We saw three forkhorns in this canyon last Wednesday. I passed on all three.

Then we didn't see another buck through Saturday morning. We hadn't been hunting much in the evening. Saturday evening I decided we had better get serious so we went down to sit on a little finger on the side of "forkhorn hill". This little buck wandered around the point across the canyon from us. He wasn't much bigger than the first but unfilled deer tags make thin soup.

We hung him Saturday night and went back to bone him out Sunday morning. When we finished we sat down to have a snack before we headed out and Ginnette spotted deer across the canyon. There was a much bigger forkhorn following two does up the hill. Ginnette still had a tag and it was only about a 100 yard shot but we let him walk. I didn't think I would be able to get two out. We were about seven miles from the truck. I have done it before but I was younger then! We had a great time and look forward to next year.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hunting trips

Post by rjohns94 »

Congrats. Great pics and beautiful hunting area. Thanks for sharimg
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Most excellent description of your hunt with beautiful photos to "capture" scenes you will store in your mind as well.. Good to have a spouse who shares your interests and is an active participant. You are most fortunate. Thanks for the post !
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Its real easy to see why you go back to that place all the time, thanks for the pix
id have to pass on the bikes

ollogger
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Wow! Great hunt and it looks like you have a pretty good partner :D
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

That is some beautiful country there Marc. 30 years of adventuring there....you are a lucky man indeed! Have you ever pondered how many travelers from the past have also sought shelter in the same "window" you did?

Thank you for taking the time to share this journey.
:wink:
Last edited by PaperPatch on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldguy »

great report. yes! california can be beautiful.
congratulations on the deer.
thanks. oldguy
Gene Dip
Levergunner

Post by Gene Dip »

I certainly enjoyed your post.

Thanks
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A report worthy of Field & Stream....Thanks 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Great pictures and story Marc.

Biking looks like a great way to cover all that country.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Great story and the pictures are beautiful. What are the rifles and what are they chambered in?

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Batman1939 wrote:Most excellent description of your hunt with beautiful photos to "capture" scenes you will store in your mind as well.. Good to have a spouse who shares your interests and is an active participant. You are most fortunate. Thanks for the post !
+1, I'll second that, an excellent post.. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Hunting pur with great pictures! Thanks for sharing.
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Great post! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. As others have said, you are a lucky man to share such interest with your wife.

Dave B
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very cool, thanks 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

completely awesome photo essay - thanks for posting it
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Thanks! I do feel lucky indeed. Ginnette enjoys the physical activity and enjoys going out to the wilderness. I also feel lucky because the health problems have been stacking up. Two years ago I had a mini-stroke while riding the bike into this area to hunt. I crashed and tore up my arm and got a concussion. We didn't get to hunt much that year. I was not fully recovered last year and had a tough time out there. We saw bucks but didn't kill anything. I am feeling much better this year and feel truly blessed to be able to hunt again.

I started taking more pictures this year because I wanted to have more to look at when I can't do it anymore. I also have a good camera now. The old camera froze last year in Montana and it killed the LCD. The new camera is a Panasonic ZS-8 with a 24MM wide angle and 16X zoom lens. It takes much nicer pics than the old camera.

The rifles are sentimental favorites. Ginnette's rifle is a Remington 700 in 6MM Remington that we bought in the Twin Cities in 1966 with my and my brothers share of the beaver trapping money. I got it from Dad almost 20 years ago when he couldn't get out anymore. The original barrel was pitted badly and didn't shoot so well. I cut the muzzle off and fire lapped it and it shot good enough for Ginnette to kill five deer with it. Now it has a used 6MM Model 7 barrel on it. It shoots a little better and is lighter. The old load used 90 grain Barnes X bullets and was a good killer. The new load uses the 85 grain TSX.

My rifle is a pre-64 Winchester 70 in 30-06 that I bought to replace a Model 70 in 270 that was stolen from my house in 1984. I bought it from a fellow who hung out in the Whiteman Airport bar in San Fernando, CA. I told him about the burglary and he told me about this rifle. It had belonged to his friend from Utah who had passed away from cancer. His friend had killed his deer with it every year and he said he would sell it to me if I promised to use it hunting every year. I did for a number of years and then used it for rifle silhouette. I shot my best scores with that rifle. The original standard weight barrel wore out and I replaced it with a Featherweight barrel that looked like new. I also put the later style Monte Carlo stock on it so it is a parts gun now. It is about 8 pounds as pictured and fits me well and I shoot it well. I went back to using it four years ago because it is lighter than my 264 Win Mag and it is a sentimental favorite. It has five deer to its credit in its new configuration. I killed three with the Barnes 130 TSX and it was very effective. This years load is the 130 TTSX at 3200 FPS and it is absolutely devastating. The first buck was at 330 yards angling away. The bullet entered behind the diaphragm and vaporized the liver. All that was left of the liver was a narrow strip attached to the diaphragm. The bullet went forward and punched a neat hole through the off side lung and exited. I saw the deer drop in the scope. The second buck was facing us at 114 yards so I shot him in the neck. The bullet vaporized 2" to 3" of the spine-the biggest bone chips I could find were the size of a pin head. It looked like you ran a hole saw through the spine. The bullet exited. The buck's legs folded outward and he dropped straight down onto his belly. It works!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Outstanding!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Wonderful!!! Looks like a great time!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

You guys are really making the most of it!
Great for you two! :D
Stunning areas/great pics/one fine read!
Thanks
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Great stuff...

for those of you used to the Angeles, it's similar, but with size, distance and difficulty multiplied by about four. Last time I went I took a shortcut, had to turn back, and ended up face down in a yucca plant with more punctures than Saint Sebastian.

The views are awesome because you are seeing 25 miles away or more, as opposed to 4-5 miles on my local hills. And at night it's amazing, stars, meteors, etc.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Thanks for the post and photos, Well done.
It is not the critic who counts
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I enjoyed two USAF assignments to northern California. Many memories hunting the ridges of Napa and Colusa Counties plus backpacking into the Carson-Iceberg Wilderness of Alpine County. Most of my hunting was with a Marlin carbine in 44MAG.

What county did your hunt take place?

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Great post!There are some places out here in Ca. that have good deer hunting and the scenery is top notch.You just have to work for them.Not to many places here you
put up a tree stand out back, pick one out,shoot one and load'em up in a truck.Most times it's a mile haul out in 85 F. heat.I wish our seasons were pushed back a month.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Thanks again everybody!

This is in Santa Barbara County in the Los Padres NF.

If it's only 85 degrees it is a cool day! It is beautiful out there but it is easy to forget that when it is 100+ degrees and you are packing a load of venison out of some sizzling canyon. We were fortunate in our trips out. The highest temps we had were in the low 90's. The last week it was in the upper 80's so not to bad. It never cooled off much below 70 at night though. Usually it will be chilly in the morning but not this year. It was also more humid than normal. We had a lot of on shore flow from the ocean that kept it a little cooler and more humid. I still love it out there!
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Really enjoyed your post you are a blessed man.
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

Awesome post - awesome hunt :mrgreen:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Great report! I didn't realise anyone had a riflle season earlier than we have here in Oregon! I've always wished our's was later, but now at least I know we're not the earliest!
Your buck looks pretty much like the one I took this year.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/